Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

American to merge (merged) frequent flier programs on Saturday, 28 Mar 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American to merge (merged) frequent flier programs on Saturday, 28 Mar 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Arsey00
My daughter's account has not transferred correctly. She is Gold on US but showing as Gold (silver equivalent) on AA. Aadvantage CS cannot even enter her account as it's now read-only and the US CP line plays the recording and disconnects.

I'm a little annoyed, as we're starting our Easter holidays on early Saturday and I really don't see myself wasting time trying to sort this out once we've left, but lounge access for the whole family depends on two of us having the correct status as I only get one guest. Of course we won't die, but now I'm stuck paying for breakfast at restaurants I don't even care for.
I would think you will be ok if you have your card to show.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Will the US number still exist from Saturday?
It will need to ... they will have to keep the DM numbers "live" for many months to come in relation to retrospective award partner credits, claims etc.

Having posted that, as indicated in a recent post here, while the number may be "live", earnings will credit to the linked AAdvantage account.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
It will need to ... they will have to keep the DM numbers "live" for many months to come in relation to retrospective award partner credits, claims etc.

Having posted that, as indicated in a recent post here, while the number may be "live", earnings will credit to the linked AAdvantage account.
I'm not sure "live" is the right term here. Yes, the accounts will be around even after migration but not sure for how long. I imagine all DM partners create a report about once a month and let them know how many miles each DM member earned during that period. At that point, once an AAdvantage account is identified, those partners should be notified to use the AAdvantage account equivalent going forward. That is assuming AAdvantage has an existing partnership with the respective merchant that DM did. I would imagine that has been taken care of by now. At least on the airline front, currently, all DM partners are AA partners as well. It would seem that they would have done the same for airline, hotel and other partnerships.

Regardless of how long the DM account numbers stick around, they won't be accessible by the former account owner, i. e. us, the FFers. They will be accessible internally by AA but I highly doubt that merchants DM dealt with will still have a "live" connection to that data. Anyone with inside information, feel free to chime in.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Even though it is listing us as EXP it is still not updated... IE I have a flight next week on AA (booked on AA.com) called today (account online shows EXP) they changed the FFN from US to AA and the agent said that since I just got EXP status today it will probably not be until tomorrow that the reservation will be updated and I can request my auto upgrade etc. She said when she refreshes in the system it still shows the reservation as a "card card holder member" not EXP.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I would think you will be ok if you have your card to show.
When she qualified, we got an email saying there'd be no kit sent as we were getting so close to the merge.

Originally Posted by serfty

Makes perfect sense, but to what degree will US accounts live? I couldn't find in any of the links or info anything about the use of the US number beyond Saturday, nor have I seen anything about US numbers in partner bookings. I can see that they might be changing US to AA numbers in their own systems, but I'd be surprised if they reached out to partners so hopefully the number remains useable with partners for a reasonable amount of time. I can't be the only one
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
When she qualified, we got an email saying there'd be no kit sent as we were getting so close to the merge.
If she has her DM Gold number in the reservation, I don't see why her BP won't show Sapphire, and why she wouldn't get the lounge access that comes with it. Also, I know that when I first qualified for CP, I had a flight with AA within a few days from HKG to DFW, and my AA BP still did not update to show Emerald (only Sapphire), and I was easily able to show my CP card on my phone to the agents at the CX first class lounge, and they had no problem letting me in. Not sure where you're traveling, but the physical card isn't necessarily a requirement...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

Makes perfect sense, but to what degree will US accounts live? I couldn't find in any of the links or info anything about the use of the US number beyond Saturday, nor have I seen anything about US numbers in partner bookings. I can see that they might be changing US to AA numbers in their own systems, but I'd be surprised if they reached out to partners so hopefully the number remains useable with partners for a reasonable amount of time. I can't be the only one
There is an option in your daughter's US account to "reprint card". You can print this and it will show the updated info.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:02 pm

The things I'm wondering:

1) Will the "DMS" status that shows on my US login from the US Mastercard carry over to the AA account, and more importantly, will it confer the same mileage discount that I see on the US side? I'm in an interesting situation, wanting to book a US flight award that takes 60k, 55k with the DMS status. I have 53k miles in my US account, and 3k in my AA account -- once they're combined I'll have 55k but not 60k!

2) I'm hoping the US MC 50k bonus will post properly to the AA account; if it happens quickly the above won't be as important. My first payment due date (including the annual fee) is 4/7, though I paid it already hoping it would post.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I called in to AAdvantage yesterday, no one could answer at the time but they called back and left a message that US numbers will still be usable after the merge. Thanks all, I shall just leave things as they are and stop being annoyed
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
It's relatively trivial to create a pointer table that maps DM --> AA numbers in the US system (while it still exists). We helped them create that table when we linked our accounts. I'm not surprised Saturday is not the hard deadline for using DM numbers in PNRs.

I have to book some flights today, so I'll ask my corporate TA what kind of guidance they are getting from US with regards to using AA or US FF#s.

My AA status shows Platinum as of this morning, but with 0 miles YTD (and in 2014 as well) and no stickers. It looks like they are doing this very carefully and one step at a time - the lesson of the UA/CO meltdown seems to have taken with the New AA.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
It's relatively trivial to create a pointer table that maps DM --> AA numbers in the US system (while it still exists). We helped them create that table when we linked our accounts. I'm not surprised Saturday is not the hard deadline for using DM numbers in PNRs.

I have to book some flights today, so I'll ask my corporate TA what kind of guidance they are getting from US with regards to using AA or US FF#s.

My AA status shows Platinum as of this morning, but with 0 miles YTD (and in 2014 as well) and no stickers. It looks like they are doing this very carefully and one step at a time - the lesson of the UA/CO meltdown seems to have taken with the New AA.
When UA and CO merged their FF systems, both numbers were usable for most purposes for a while (may still be, as far as I know). I heard of some people discovering that it was possible to sign up for bonus offers (like Netflix) twice using both account numbers :-)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
... and my Corporate TA knows less about this than I do. She didn't even know we were asked to link our DM and AA accounts. She used my DM number on the booking today without any issue.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I have some travel coming up - probably on US operated flights - any reason to wait until after the weekend to book?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just checked my AA account under "Upgrades" and my 8 SWU's are showing up from being a CP member. Go take a look!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CO777
Just checked my AA account under "Upgrades" and my 8 SWU's are showing up from being a CP member. Go take a look!
Same here... the 8 SWUs posted, though no 500-mile stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.