Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Not really sure how I feel about this.

From planning out the rest of my year of flying, looks like I'll be Platinum and within what, in years past, would've been easy buy-up range of CP. Which is what I did last year anticipating 2014 would be the merger year, but now that I've been burned once by that I'm not sure I'd do it again even if it were possible.

Of course, the flipside risk is that if I stick to (or am stuck with) just being Platinum the "new AA" might keep AAdvantage's awful three-tier system and then I wasted a lot of flying that could've got me useful status somewhere else.
The 3 or 4 tier system is a big question mark that I am surprised hasn't been clarified at this point. If I had to guess, I am saying they will go with 3 tiers.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Would a 3 tier system really work for the new AA? The "top tier" would be huge. Imagine if DL or UA only had 3 tiers. If miles flown is the tiebreak, then upgrades may not be impacted as much, but airport standby lists, IROPS handling, the "top tier" phone desk, etc....would be a real mess, IMO. I really hope to see 4 tiers in the new AAdvantage program. It seems to work well at DL and UA and the new AA elite base would be of similar size.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Would a 3 tier system really work for the new AA? The "top tier" would be huge. Imagine if DL or UA only had 3 tiers. If miles flown is the tiebreak, then upgrades may not be impacted as much, but airport standby lists, IROPS handling, the "top tier" phone desk, etc....would be a real mess, IMO. I really hope to see 4 tiers in the new AAdvantage program. It seems to work well at DL and UA and the new AA elite base would be of similar size.
I am not following why would the top tier be bigger if they went to 3 tiers? The top tier is going to be 100K+ no matter what.

It is the middle tier that would be bigger under the 3 tier system.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I am not following why would the top tier be bigger if they went to 3 tiers? The top tier is going to be 100K+ no matter what.

It is the middle tier that would be bigger under the 3 tier system.

They actually both would, this assumes the qualification thresholds remain the same as they are now for AA. From what I recall, DL (and maybe UA?) set the 4th tier's qualification threshold higher than what is was under 3 tiers due, at least in part, to having such a large top tier. This is why you get a 140 segment, or 125k MQM Diamond Medallion threshold. Previously, Platinum Medallion was the highest tier and qualification began at 75k MQMs or 100 segments, as I recall. The same was true for UA, the 4th tier qualification minimums were raised.

So, for AA, if they stay with 3 tiers, I would assume the qualification threshold for EXP would remain the threshold for the new highest tier. the EXP threshold is 100k miles or 100 segments. If AAdvantage moves to 4 tiers, the qualification for "top tier" status would be raised, at least this is my guess. I would think they would put it somewhere around 120-140 segments. Mileage could be 100k (current EXP) to 125k (Delta's DM threshold).

All in all, I kinda think we would see something like 30 segments or 25k for bottom tier, 60 segments or 50k for low mid tier, 90 segments or 75k for upper mid tier, and 120 segments or 100k for highest tier.

In short, both the middle and upper tier would be large under a 3 tier system since you would have folks that would be in the upper-middle tier (in a 4 tier system) in the highest tier, and a combined middle tier.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
All in all, I kinda think we would see something like 30 segments or 25k for bottom tier, 60 segments or 50k for low mid tier, 90 segments or 75k for upper mid tier, and 120 segments or 100k for highest tier.
In other words, the exact tiers and thresholds that US currently uses?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gruss
In other words, the exact tiers and thresholds that US currently uses?
Perhaps, only because it is the same thing that UA uses, and similar to what DL has (except for top tier). Of course, that may not be the case at the end of the day, but then again, since nothing has been announced (which surprises me a bit) this is all just speculation.

Though I do think the tier names will be different than what US has now. I doubt AA will tell LT Golds they are now silver.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:19 pm

Well it is obvious there are going to be a ton of elites. You are combining two programs, so you are going to have more elites at each level. They can make either the three tier or four tier system work in my opinion.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Well it is obvious there are going to be a ton of elites. You are combining two programs, so you are going to have more elites at each level. They can make either the three tier or four tier system work in my opinion.
Yes, that is something I do not miss from my days on DL. I can recall some Monday AM flights TPA-ATL and Thursday nights ATL-TPA, seemed as though 50% or more of the plane was SkyPriority.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The 3 or 4 tier system is a big question mark that I am surprised hasn't been clarified at this point. If I had to guess, I am saying they will go with 3 tiers.
The place for speculation on elite status is in the AA Consolidated forum. We have the following thread for such discussion.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Please keep the discussion in the US forum to everyday US issues/questions.

This thread (a sticky in the AA Consolidated forum) is an excellent guidepost if you are unsure where to post. Or you can certainly ask one of the mods.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nes-forum.html

aztimm
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: USAIR Chairman's Preferred
Unhappy Buy Up Preferred - Important to Me

in 2012 I bought up to Chairman from Silver. I think it was $2500 because I determined to get "loyal" with USAIR and fly mostly them. (I had, for example, a companion pass level from Southwest by using their credit card but let that expire).

in 2013 I actually flew 100K on USAIR and qualified for CP on my own (so buy up worked for both them and myself). Used so many of the perks and it felt great. Even bumped a few people a couple of times on sold out flights for example and they got full coach fares from me on those flights.

In 2014 It looks like I will be a little short of CP and was planning/hoping to use Buy Up to keep my CP. Have enjoyed the status the last 2 years and was prepared to spend the $2500 again. With this removed and the 10K preferred miles for spending 25,000 on their credit cards also gone , I think I will need to "rethink" loyalty. Sigh - but I guess the "check back later" means its worth waiting till year end to decide. But if its like AA and there is no way to get exec platinum then I will probably try less to consolidate my flying with them....stinks!

Do you think any of the marketing people read forums like this and our thoughts mean something - or is it just analytics done with some algorithms?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zoomer602
Do you think any of the marketing people read forums like this and our thoughts mean something - or is it just analytics done with some algorithms?
I'll tell you what a college administrator once told me about a chat board discussing that college:

If thousands of people were talking in a publicly, archived medium, and talking about you, wouldn't it pay to tune in and listen to what they are saying? Yes, they look at these board.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
I hope they dotn do away with the 5000k miles for doing the club memebrship
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:41 pm

Buy up to Preferred 2015

I think they already have.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I called the CP desk to ask about some upcoming trips. I also asked the agent what she has heard about the new program. She said she heard they would be unveiling it in February but really did not know any details. I am sure that does not bode well for elites. Why wait so long?

There is one beneficial thing I saw on the US Airways website (go to About Dividend Miles and then to How to Qualify for Preferred Status), it states "[w]hen you fly one million miles with US, we'll upgrade you to Silver Preferred for as long as you remain an active Dividend Miles member." Looks like this is in line with American.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by pkr529
I called the CP desk to ask about some upcoming trips. I also asked the agent what she has heard about the new program. She said she heard they would be unveiling it in February but really did not know any details. I am sure that does not bode well for elites. Why wait so long?

There is one beneficial thing I saw on the US Airways website (go to About Dividend Miles and then to How to Qualify for Preferred Status), it states "[w]hen you fly one million miles with US, we'll upgrade you to Silver Preferred for as long as you remain an active Dividend Miles member." Looks like this is in line with American.
February is when the current status levels expire so it may be that they roll it out hoping to get some people to take advantage of this new program then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.