Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I suspect that in August we will be playing by AA rules, which means no companion upgrades and no free upgrades for anyone other than US CPs and AA ExPlats (or whatever they are called). So this may all be moot.
The 2015 program details (released last year) are quite clear: US upgrades continue to be unlimited as always as long as the airline exists (through the end of the year). At least with the program merger, we'll be able to upgrade on AA more reasonably (and for free as long as your account has enough upgrade stickers).
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:08 am

I have four kids and am evaluating travel options.

Is there any reason my husband and I couldn't each get this card and have four companion passes for all six of us to travel? I've done the math on an itinerary we're considering and two full fares + two annual fees + 4x ($99 + taxes) is several hundred dollars cheaper than four full fares.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by cevamal
I have four kids and am evaluating travel options.

Is there any reason my husband and I couldn't each get this card and have four companion passes for all six of us to travel? I've done the math on an itinerary we're considering and two full fares + two annual fees + 4x ($99 + taxes) is several hundred dollars cheaper than four full fares.
No problem with the above plan, as long as each of you qualify for the card on your own. I can speak from experience here.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:27 pm

Great, thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Not to rain on the parade, but you do have to factor in two further things, namely that the companion passes take several weeks to come after you get the card and that the real-world cost of a $99 ticket is closer to $140 or so after the taxes & fees. The passes have to be manually redeemed on the phone and you do have to have the actual paper pass in front of you when you book.

Neither of these are deal breakers, of course. I saved close to $700 on a recent purchase.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I'm curious about the taxes and fees assessed. When I book US award travel, the total cost is about $12 RT, so I was thinking a companion ticket would be in the neighborhood of $111. Are there surcharges or something?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That's funny because I was expecting maybe $70 or so and got $40. The full-price ticket was $485 (DFW-ALB in season). Higher or lower prices would move the needle somewhat proportionately, sort of, I would speculate.

But to answer your question directly, I think the "taxes & fees" rider is broad enough to cover any number of squishy sins. No "surcharges" per se. But I still saved $700 or so all-in, as I said above, so I'm happy.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:54 pm

At least the segment fee and PFC are charged on the companion ticket but not on free tickets. The security fee is charged on both.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I wonder, though, how on earth you used the Companion Certificate to book a mixed-itinerary (US/AA) flight since the CC is supposed to be good for US-metal only.
I did not book a mixed itinerary. I booked US Airways all the way so that is why I was so puzzled to see I had flown on American Eagle from Charlotte to Key West.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by pkr529
I did not book a mixed itinerary. I booked US Airways all the way so that is why I was so puzzled to see I had flown on American Eagle from Charlotte to Key West.
I imagine you're referring to the new logo on the outside of the plane. I fly on American branded planes most of the time now, most frequently ones branded American Eagle and operated by PSA as US Airways Express. In these cases, you'll still find the correct (pre-merger) name by the boarding door. The airline workers (or recorded announcement) should mention the correct carrier. Regardless, only Republic Airlines (US Airways Express) operates that route. You were just on a repainted bird.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Here is the definitive word. My annual fee will post on Friday 30Jan. Today I received my final companion certificate. All the same conditions as always. Book by 09/30/2015 and fly by 12/31/2015. So I will not cancel my credit card .... until a year from now.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Why cancel card <1 year?

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Here is the definitive word. My annual fee will post on Friday 30Jan. Today I received my final companion certificate. All the same conditions as always. Book by 09/30/2015 and fly by 12/31/2015. So I will not cancel my credit card .... until a year from now.
Do you get the annual fee refunded if you cancel in < 1 year? Or is this to avoid the renewal fee?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by rj123456
Do you get the annual fee refunded if you cancel in < 1 year? Or is this to avoid the renewal fee?
Avoid another annual fee only, no refunds. Sometimes, they'll waive the next year's AF if you've been a great customer and current retention policies allow it, and you call and ask to cancel - some other times, not.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:57 pm

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

I read the Wiki and #7 says:

7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.

Just want to make sure I get this right.

The Wiki says "should" and YMMV" so some recent data points would be awesome. How quick does the credit post and after the credit posts has anyone had any recent success or issues splitting the PNR so not to get passed over in the upgrade sweeps?

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I split the PNR (PNR of 2 into 2 PNRs) on my companion cert flight in md-January and got one of the two upgraded - no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.