Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:01 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
I am in the same situation on a flight tomorrow. I booked a DFW-LAX flight which ended up being DFW-PHX on AA metal PHX-LAX on US air. I just called the Gold line to see if I could standby on a DIRECT AA DFW-LAX at the airport in the morning. She put me on hold and researched it and then came back and said since it was on both Carriers that the standby benefit did not apply.

I believe I am still going to get to DFW early and ask a gate agent if it is possible. My past experience with Codeshared flights even when the airlines were not merging was that the airline that issued the ticket was MORE than willing to yank you off a competitors metal to keep the revenue in the issuing airlines account. In this case since US is actually buying AA they may have squashed that type of thinking.

Any one that can actually say something about their experience with Stand by flights I would appreciate it. Especially if they originated at DFW.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by rabtech
Admirals Club also includes free alcohol (house brands)
This was rolled out to US clubs a few months ago.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by dtremit
This was rolled out to US clubs a few months ago.
A few months??!?!

Having flown USair under the *A banner many times using my Air New Zealand *G status that provided club access, ISTR that 'well' drinks (beer/wine) have been complimentary in the USair clubs for several years at least.

[Here's a four year old thread regarding having to pay a buck for complimentary drinks in PA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...b-c-club.html]

Last edited by serfty; Jun 23, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Booked on US, Standby on AA?

Fellow FTers,

I have a question regarding reciprocal standby.. I booked on US LAX-PHX-DFW, but I would like to standby on AA LAX-DFW nonstop. I know the chances are close to zero, but just wanted to confirm if it is possible... thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Fellow FTers,

I have a question regarding reciprocal standby.. I booked on US LAX-PHX-DFW, but I would like to standby on AA LAX-DFW nonstop. I know the chances are close to zero, but just wanted to confirm if it is possible... thanks!
Not yet available, but you can always check at the gate.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
arollins is correct.

US doesn't allow standby, but has free same day changes for AA EXP within 6 hours of departure for US metal only.

Similarly, AA doesn't allow the free changes, but allows standby on AA metal.

It will be very interesting to see how the new AAdvantage program shakes out for EXP
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
US doesn't allow standby, but has free same day changes for AA EXP within 6 hours of departure for US metal only.
The US program is called, "Moveup."
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...ds/MoveUp.html

This would apply to the OP:
We waive the MoveUp fee for Dividend Miles Preferred and AAdvantage elite status members. However, the same rules apply: the flight must be within 6 hours of your original scheduled departure, and on the same day with the same number of stops.
LAX-PHX-DFW has 1 stop. LAX-DFW has 0 stops, so moveup wouldn't work in this case (unless you get an agent who really flexes the rules).

There's multiple threads in the US forum about the moveup program. This is our, "go to," thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:22 pm

Hi - im wondering - i'm on an award reservation and instead of connecting on AA via ORD, whether i could do a same day standby on the direct US airways flight? Is this possible at all? Would I just spk to an agent at CLT? or call AA on the day? The award seats on Aadvantage isn't available... but i'm hoping there could be an empty seat on the day - i know AA would allow it, but can this be done on US airways metal too? Perhaps its even at a different terminal in CLT.. i'm not sure.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
I did it at the airport. Walked up to the check-in desk and asked if I could switch to the earlier flight. I was flying DFW-IAD and switched to DFW-DCA. I am AA Gold, so no $75 fee. Not sure what the fees are if you don't have status.
The $75 fee exists regardless of your status. I'm an EXP, and always get charged this fee. You must have gotten a nice agent.
Or just cleared standby rather than SDFC
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
sorry wrong thread

Last edited by frudd38; Jul 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I have us air award flight on ba ticket stock can I standby with aa plat status?

I am on a usair award flight using avios points and have aa plat status so I am wondering if I can move up or standby for free?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:51 pm

What's the current situation on this? I'm going LAS-LAX-SJC tomorrow, and half the flights LAX-SJC are operated by US express operators.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just tried this, this week. Booked on AA metal BOS-JFK but wanted to do standby on the US Shuttle BOS-LGA so I could get home earlier. I asked at both the AC and US Club and both said no can do because they are still separate airlines. Major bummer so I waited 3 hours in the AC drinking cocktails.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I just tried this, this week. Booked on AA metal BOS-JFK but wanted to do standby on the US Shuttle BOS-LGA so I could get home earlier. I asked at both the AC and US Club and both said no can do because they are still separate airlines. Major bummer so I waited 3 hours in the AC drinking cocktails.
Darn. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Darn. Thanks for the info.
The weird thing is that I have experienced long delays on AA's DCA-JFK and vice versa and the US/AC lounges have had no issue in rebooking me on the US Shuttle to LGA.

Doesn't make sense to me….I get them rebooking me on the Shuttle if my AA JFK-DCA cxld (which it did once and AA even paid for my car service to take me to LGA). But on the return trip the DCA-JFK had a fire emergency and delay at the gate (we boarded and were immediately ordered off because of smoke in the cabin on the CR7). I went to the US/AC Lounge and they re-booked me on DCA-LGA with no issues even though the AA flight wasn't cancelled and only ended up being delayed by 50 mins or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.