Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by berkeleybum
Has anyone had success arguing with the rate desk re taxes?

I have (what i think) is a very simple RT, albeit with a few stops each way. The US rate desk has calculated it at $125 more than what it would cost on United.com. Any tips on how to challenge this?

(yes, im taking into account the $50 booking fee)
Sure!

Rebuild your itinerary with ITA matrix, this site will display you all the taxes charged. Then call US and compair the amount of taxes step by step...

Does your itinerary transit the UK or Germany? This countries charge a luxury
tax if you you start there or make a stopover. Often this tax is charged wrongly...
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So just put an itinerary on hold.... 4 passengers in coach

3/13/2014 LH EWR-FRA-VCE (Th/F)
No problems seeing availability
3/19/2014 TK VCE-IST
3/24/2014 TK/LX IST-GVA-JFK

Interestingly enough, UA and ANA both show availability on the TK JFK-IST for 4 passengers but US can only see availability for 3 seats... I was thinking that the LH segments was going to be the problem but turns out it was a TK segment...

FDW
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:16 pm

Question Can miles be redeposited/return canceled once award travel begins?

My great friends please help me with one more issue.

My mother booked a business class ticket using dividend miles from US Airways because she's disabled. She flew from DEL-TPA in March, 2013 and she is supposed to fly back on Dec 29, 2013.

In Terms and Conditions below her ticket it says
Award tickets booked online are eligible for redeposit into your account when they are cancelled through the Dividend Miles Service Center. A redeposit fee of $150 per passenger will apply.
I called US Airways and associate says no changes can be made once the travel begins but in T&C it doesn't say that. They said if you don't fly you lose.

Please advice if there is anyway to save these miles.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesbondc

My mother booked a business class ticket using dividend miles from US Airways because she's disabled. She flew from DEL-TPA in March, 2013 and she is supposed to fly back on Dec 29, 2013.

I called US Airways and associate says no changes can be made once the travel begins but in T&C it doesn't say that. They said if you don't fly you lose.

Wouldn't this be better asked in the USAir forum?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesbondc

Probably better to check in the US Dividend Miles forum. You will see a triangle with a red "!" inside it on the left hand side next to your post, click on it and ask for the post to be moved.

However, it is quiet possible US's rules do not allow changes after travel started especially if partner flights are included (awhile ago UA did not allow it either) -- but you need to get the folks in the US forum to advise you better.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:17 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I've booked a few USAir awards the past year or two:

AUS-IAH-LOS/SSG-FRA-IAH-AUS for 70k in Y

AUS-IAH-LHR-IST-SAH/BJM-BRU-IAD-AUS for 80k in Y

RAI-LIS-EWR-CLT-AUS-IAH-IST-JNB-WVB for 70k in Y
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
I ticketed MEL-SIN-BOM-IST-IAD-NRT-ICN-BKK-MEL

In J, 110k miles
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Just booked a *A award in may on LH and SK. US agents had issues seeking inventory available on ANA and United. Given the coming merger, I was flexible to burn 300K since I got the TA portion in C.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 pm

My ticket is
EWR-ARN(stopover 12 days)-ZURICH(24 hours layover)-PVG(destination)-.....

I am planning a 12-day visit in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland. I wonder if I could use dividend miles to book an international round trip within europe and take advantage of the layovers and stopover. does it cost 25k for the economy?

My current plan is
ARN-OSL-KEF(stopover)-CPH-Munich(destination)-ARN

How does it sound?

I have booked a ticket from US to Asia via EU already so worried if I do too many segments during the 12 days I would be always flying in the air lol
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by wywy88
I wonder if I could use dividend miles to book an international round trip within europe and take advantage of the layovers and stopover. does it cost 25k for the economy?

My current plan is
ARN-OSL-KEF(stopover)-CPH-Munich(destination)-ARN

How does it sound?
Stopover will (or should not) not be allowed in a single zone itinerary. And I think we've been through these rules before but you don't arbitrarily pick your destination...in this case it would be KEF.

Your could fly ARN to KEF then KEF back to MUC with no stopovers though.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Stopover will (or should not) not be allowed in a single zone itinerary. And I think we've been through these rules before but you don't arbitrarily pick your destination...in this case it would be KEF.

Your could fly ARN to KEF then KEF back to MUC with no stopovers though.
Will that be an open jaw? also, how many segments could i have?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Will that be an open jaw? also, how many segments could i have?
open jaw is fine intra-zone. Stopovers are not allowed as per the rules.

you can have as many segments as you need to get to the destination and back, but generally 4 outbound and 4 for the return is a safe figure to work on.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
open jaw is fine intra-zone. Stopovers are not allowed as per the rules.

you can have as many segments as you need to get to the destination and back, but generally 4 outbound and 4 for the return is a safe figure to work on.
what is the max amount of time for each layover?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
23 hrs 59 mins
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I would suggest you have a quick read of the US Airways membership guide. It takes five minutes put answers all of your questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.