Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Well, that's a different definition and probably true... But *LH like T-14 restriction on all Oceania avaliability* ist just an unconfirmed statement!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Well, that's a different definition and probably true... But *LH like T-14 restriction on all Oceania avaliability* ist just an unconfirmed statement!
Well as this situation has been going on for a few days - I saw all SQ dry up mid week - people have tested the hypotheses. Using MEL-SIN (A330 and 773 flights) as an example:

On the 13th...up until the 27th was showing (on KVS) then nothing.
On the 14th...up until the 28th was showing...then nothing.
Today (It's the 15th in Aus and SIN)...I can now see up until the 29th.

*I'm referring to C class availability above.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Tried my best to search this but can't find a firm answer -

I current have an award ticket booked, but I'd like to change the date of first segment. I know the change fee is $150, but if the first segment I'd like to change is within 21 days window, do I still need to pay $75 quick fee?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS,TK
After great conversation with great agent 5 mins ago, I was able to book flight for my party trip to Iceland in NOV... just missing the return flight and I need to call back again when it show on the screen...

BR 716I 01NOV SA TPEPEK HK1 925A 1240P /R
SK 996I 01NOV SA PEKCPH HK1 335P 635P /R
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Well as this situation has been going on for a few days - I saw all SQ dry up mid week - people have tested the hypotheses. Using MEL-SIN (A330 and 773 flights) as an example:

On the 13th...up until the 27th was showing (on KVS) then nothing.
On the 14th...up until the 28th was showing...then nothing.
Today (It's the 15th in Aus and SIN)...I can now see up until the 29th.

*I'm referring to C class availability above.
Not all cities in Australia so bad

For one Auz city - albeit closer to SIN than SYD/MEL, in the next 14 days, I can see 100% of the daily flights available in C for 6 days, 75% daily flights available on 2 days, and 50% flights available on 3 more days, and 25% available on one day. Only no availability at all on 2 days out of 14.

So although availability after T+14 has dried up, may be availability in the T-14 window has improved?? Not good if you are planning a trip with this segment as part of the longer itinerary, but if this is a stand alone trip from SIN to AUZ and you are OK to book closer to flight date, may be easier than before to bag those SQ seats in the T-14 window now??

PS - Finding similar results for MEL. Many days all flights available within the T-14 window, most days at least one available

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Dec 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Hey folks. I know Star Alliance award bookings require stopovers to be in a hub city, but 1) does it have to be the hub city right before the international leg, and 2) can there be a co-terminal city at the hub?

I'm trying to build an itinerary with EWR-LAX (stop) BUR-SFO-NRT (dest) NFT-SFO-LAX-EWR all on United with USDM (planning to throw away LAX-EWR at the end). Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: Everyone!
What does the "T - 14" abbreviation mean?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
What does the "T - 14" abbreviation mean?
14 days before travel.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
New/reissued (after segment change) ticket numbers not being pushed to all partners

Had an existing reservation for *A award travel on OZ, TG, SQ and BR with a ticket number that successfully got pushed to all airlines and segments (the same ticket number for all segments). Had to swap out a segment from OZ to TG because of a schedule change, and apparently it was reissued under a new ticket #.

Thing is, while all segments OZ, TG, and SQ reflect the new ticket number, my segments on BR are still reflecting the old (cancelled) ticket number for both of my BR legs, and for one of my wife's segments (for some reason, one of her segments was updated with the new ticket #).

I assume this is problematic and I need to somehow get it corrected? The US Chairman's agent told me to wait but that it should be okay, but it's probably not workable that BR is still showing segments designated with ticket #s that are no longer in effect, right? Obviously this has to be corrected at the US/SHARES end, but how do they do it except to reissue with entirely new ticket #s yet again? Or can they do a selective re-push to BR?

NOTE that we're talking about actual ticket #s here and not PNRs. The PNRs are just record locators and pretty meaningless in relation to actual ticketing.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Had an existing reservation for *A award travel on OZ, TG, SQ and BR with a ticket number that successfully got pushed to all airlines and segments (the same ticket number for all segments). Had to swap out a segment from OZ to TG because of a schedule change, and apparently it was reissued under a new ticket #.

Thing is, while all segments OZ, TG, and SQ reflect the new ticket number, my segments on BR are still reflecting the old (cancelled) ticket number for both of my BR legs, and for one of my wife's segments (for some reason, one of her segments was updated with the new ticket #).

I assume this is problematic and I need to somehow get it corrected? The US Chairman's agent told me to wait but that it should be okay, but it's probably not workable that BR is still showing segments designated with ticket #s that are no longer in effect, right? Obviously this has to be corrected at the US/SHARES end, but how do they do it except to reissue with entirely new ticket #s yet again? Or can they do a selective re-push to BR?

NOTE that we're talking about actual ticket #s here and not PNRs. The PNRs are just record locators and pretty meaningless in relation to actual ticketing.
As long as the BR segment(s) did not change, this is not a problem. When it is time to mark the coupon as flown , the old ticket number will still have a redirect to the relevant coupon.

Indeed, on one trip of 8 *A airlines and 6 schedule changes, I had 4 different ticket numbers printed on my various boarding passes.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
As long as the BR segment(s) did not change, this is not a problem. When it is time to mark the coupon as flown , the old ticket number will still have a redirect to the relevant coupon.

Indeed, on one trip of 8 *A airlines and 6 schedule changes, I had 4 different ticket numbers printed on my various boarding passes.
Thanks, I'm a bit on edge because over at the UA forums, people have reported problems checking into flights when that still linked to a now-cancelled ticket. By the time my travel comes around (Fall 2014), there will likely be absolutely nothing that US can do given the *A transition coming to an end. It's not like showing up at the airport, seeing that something is wrong, and circling up with US to re-issue/clean it up. There will be no room for error unless we get stuck somewhere that has no OW flights out.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thanks, I'm a bit on edge because over at the UA forums, people have reported problems checking into flights when that still linked to a now-cancelled ticket. By the time my travel comes around (Fall 2014), there will likely be absolutely nothing that US can do given the *A transition coming to an end. It's not like showing up at the airport, seeing that something is wrong, and circling up with US to re-issue/clean it up. There will be no room for error unless we get stuck somewhere that has no OW flights out.
I think you are getting confused with out of synch reservations, which are indeed a big problem on UA. Those issues are due to the reservation status not matching the coupon status. That's not a concern here, since the BR segments did not change.

Even if BR hassled you at checkin (chances of which are approximately zero), all they would need to do is manually enter the ticket number. No US involvent required at all.

It's good that you are on top of things, but don't stress yourself out over non-issues like this.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Any recent updates as to the enforcement of the no stopovers on an award wholly within one region? Any examples of having a stopover on an intra-Europe award?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I think you are getting confused with out of synch reservations, which are indeed a big problem on UA. Those issues are due to the reservation status not matching the coupon status. That's not a concern here, since the BR segments did not change.

Even if BR hassled you at checkin (chances of which are approximately zero), all they would need to do is manually enter the ticket number. No US involvent required at all.

It's good that you are on top of things, but don't stress yourself out over non-issues like this.
Also, should I be concerned that my itinerary for flying SFO-ICN-BKK-SIN-MLE-SIN-TPE-SFO on November 2014 is showing up on the US Reservations landing page as:

11/15/2013 - 11/16/2013
Male, Maldives Singapore, Singapore

Singapore, Singapore Taipei, Taiwan

Taipei, Taiwan San Francisco, CA

San Francisco, CA Seoul, Korea, Republic of (South Korea) (Incheon Int'l Airport)

Seoul, Korea, Republic of (South Korea) (Incheon Int'l Airport) Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand Singapore, Singapore

Singapore, Singapore Male, Maldives

---

Why is it showing an 11/15/2013 start date when I booked this as of yesterday for travel next year, and why does it start in MLE and then loop back around? Also, when I go to the detailed page to show all segments, it's shows everything after MLE as "cancelled" (and has since I initially ticketed this).

I called US and they said it was important to get this cleaned up but that it would take "3-4 days". At this point, I'm tempted to just cancel the entire thing and start from scratch.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Dec 15, 2013 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:29 am

Also, should I be concerned that my itinerary for flying SFO-ICN-BKK-SIN-MLE-SIN-TPE-SFO on November 2014 is showing up on the US Reservations landing page as:

11/15/2013 - 11/16/2013

San Francisco, CA Seoul, Korea, Republic of (South Korea) (Incheon Int'l Airport)

Seoul, Korea, Republic of (South Korea) (Incheon Int'l Airport) Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand Singapore, Singapore

Singapore, Singapore Male, Maldives

---

Why is it showing an 11/15/2013 start date when I booked this as of yesterday for travel next year, and why does it start in MLE and then loop back around? Also, when I go to the detailed page to show all segments, it's shows everything after MLE as "cancelled" (and has since I initially ticketed this).
Very concerning. Pull up the eTicket reciept on the Saudia website and verify that it is in the correct order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.