Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does regional culture effect service at US Airways hubs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Does regional culture effect service at US Airways hubs?

I notice a huge difference in the service levels at various US Airways hubs. In PHL (Philly) people at the Airport are likely to be harsh and aburpt. While in LAS and PHX things are fun and relaxed, just like the weather. In Charlotte I find true southern hospitality. Of course thre are exceptions to this rule but I find it is true the majority of the time.

Is there any truth that regional culture and stereotypes can have an impact on Airline service at the hub?

Last edited by greenery; Mar 29, 2007 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by greenery
I notice a huge difference in the service levels at various US Airways hubs. In PHL (Philly) people at the Airport are likely to be harsh and aburpt. While in LAS and PHX things are fun and relaxed, just like the weather. In Charlotte I find true southern hospitality. Is there any truth that regional culture and stereotypes can have an impact on Airline service at the hub?

Overall, you are correct -- although there are cetainly exceptions (there ARE some friendly employees at PHL).
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I think regional cultures have an impact on everything--from service styles to what is stocked in stores, what is heard on the radio, politics, etc. It's a big-a$$ country and there's always going to be regional differences. Your experiences with US may simply be a great manifestation because it's easy to compare one to the other when, in one day, you may interact on the ground with staff in BOS, then CLT (because your first leg flight was sooo early you decided to get off and stretch your legs ) and then PHX.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Airports employ primarily local residents, so it stands to reason that local culture has a significant impact. That's one of the reasons why I love flying through CLT so much - especially on a Saturday afternoon, when Coachrowsey is bound to be working!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:34 am

I notice a huge difference in the service levels at various US Airways hubs. In PHL (Philly) people at the Airport are likely to be harsh and aburpt. While in LAS and PHX things are fun and relaxed, just like the weather. In Charlotte I find true southern hospitality. Of course thre are exceptions to this rule but I find it is true the majority of the time.

Is there any truth that regional culture and stereotypes can have an impact on Airline service at the hub?
I prefer to say the PHL people are no nonsense, businesslike and to the point. I went to school there so what for others is harsh and abrupt, I find normal Philly and take no offense by it. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I have dealt with it over the years and after you recognize it, its easier to deal with. While not the southern hospitality of CLT or the party town atmosphere of LAS, I have always found a way to be treated well in PHL.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Overall, you are correct -- although there are cetainly exceptions (there ARE some friendly employees at PHL).
No way. You have to prove that.

I see maybe one or two from time to time and that is a stretch. The people at the F terminal bus are always harsh...."Cant you read the sign, this is not your bus!" Get a dirty look a lot when I try to change seats or bump up or back a flight.

Also have you noticed the difference in cart drivers in CLT and PHL. They almost run you over in PHL!!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
In Charlotte I find true southern hospitality.
I always felt this way about CLT until my last pass through there....encountered 6 horrible gate agents (granted it was in the middle of the shares mess), and was blatently lied to by 2 of them. The attitudes I saw that day to me as well as others was worse than what I have seen in PHL in the past.

I have a lot of friends/coworkers that live there who had been telling me in general how bad CLT is getting, in fact several have defected from US. I never believed them until now.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
(there ARE some friendly employees at PHL).

Where? I keep looking for them, but I haven't found them yet.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I don't know as there are any friendly ones but I agree with abeflyer: there are some excellent, efficient, no-nonsense types that, while not friendly, are very good at what they do. I've see some PHL GAs manage some pretty difficult situations stunningly well, although not necessarily with a smile.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:03 pm

Wow, I try to give PHL a little benefit of the doubt and I get ripped!! Tough crowd.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:08 pm

I'll never forget the time I was in PHL during bad weather and found a gate agent with no one around her. She was on her cell phone talking with her boyfriend about who did he sleep with last night. She was smacking gum too. She looked at me several times and did not smile or knowledge my presence, just kept smackin her gum at me and repeatedly demanding whom it was that her boyfriend slept with last night. It certainly wasn't me!!

Granted she might have been on a break, and perhaps didn't want to have that conversation in the break room, but couldn't she at least have directed me to special services or something?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Heinrich
I'll never forget the time I was in PHL during bad weather and found a gate agent with no one around her. She was on her cell phone talking with her boyfriend about who did he sleep with last night.

I heard her boyfriend was with a FA from Singapore Air. ^
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:57 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Wow, I try to give PHL a little benefit of the doubt and I get ripped!! Tough crowd.
PHL is my home airport, so I go through quite a bit. I find the ground staff no better and no worse than at other airports. Like in any industry, you'll get the good and the bad, both in the rank and file and in the leadership that enforces policies.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
While in LAS and PHX things are fun and relaxed...
Very true.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
I heard her boyfriend was with a FA from Singapore Air. ^
So he was gay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.