Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share Builder

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Share Builder

I noticed we have no dedicated Share Builder thread (one or two posts buried in a couple of other big threads).

Does anyone know if a basic Share Builder account would get a hit? That is, could I sign up for an account, dump a small amount of money in there, make one stock trade for $10, receive the 2,500 mile signup bonus, and score a hit?

Or do only the Advantage members get a hit?

I've never had a Sharebuilder account before and I'd probably just pick a stock, buy a hundred bucks' worth of it, and leave it there for a while. (Look on the bright side: there are lots of cheap stocks to pick from these days! )

Thoughts? It would be a FREE (and then some) hit if this works. I'd want to move quickly on it in case it really takes them a while to post the miles.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Great idea, pinniped. I was hoping for some savy advice about this one too.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:24 pm

I opened an account, did not put any money in it, and the 2.5k miles posted the following day. Guess it remains to be seen if this will be a hit or not, though.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does it matter if you've had an account before? I have not, but I wonder if in future years I'll have one less hit opportunity. I know -- live in the present, worry about the future later!
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
I signed up for the basic account and made one trade. The miles posted in like 3-4 days after that...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by ksl11
I opened an account, did not put any money in it, and the 2.5k miles posted the following day. Guess it remains to be seen if this will be a hit or not, though.
As I posted elsewhere, that did not happen for me.
So I placed an order to buy shares next Tuesday,
as I believe that eliminates commission.

This all requires a good bit of study on SB site,
as do many of the better (cheaper) "hits".
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ksl11
When did you open the account by the way? From many posts I have read, they post 2.5K Bonus miles regardless of whether or not you trade. But it seems they post them once a week Monday or Tuesday. I am waiting till next Tuesday to see if I need to fund my account and trade.

By the way what type of account did you open to get miles posted the following day? I opened my "personal investment" account three days ago and still waiting for miles to post.

Cheers!

Last edited by TorontoSingh; Sep 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
I believe this has been talked about at length in another thread. Doesn't matter if you have an old account or not and you don't have to make a trade to get the miles. I reinstated an account from 2009 and got the miles in just a couple of days. Didn't invest a dime.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
As I posted elsewhere, that did not happen for me.
So I placed an order to buy shares next Tuesday,
as I believe that eliminates commission.

This all requires a good bit of study on SB site,
as do many of the better (cheaper) "hits".
From my conversation with SB rep over the phone, free stock trades on Tuesdays are available to only the "Advantage Account" which is a subscription accout (it's free till October or so) and you have to downgrade to a regular account to avoid monthly fee which could risk ALL your GS DM miles being forfeited if US Airways interprets it as a subscription cancellation.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by TorontoSingh
From my conversation with SB rep over the phone, free stock trades on Tuesdays are available to only the "Advantage Account" which is a subscription accout (it's free till October or so) and you have to downgrade to a regular account to avoid monthly fee which could risk ALL your GS DM miles being forfeited if US Airways interprets it as a subscription cancellation.
hmmmm ...what to do... ??
maybe I will cancel my auto purchase for now.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: SQ
The 2.5k didn't post for me and it's been a week. I guess I'll have to make a trade.

No complaints here - I can just do a stupid cheap trade and with the fee it will be cheaper than Skymall and Office Max and Biscoff and everything with overpriced shipping...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:20 pm

I made no trade, funded my account with $100 when opening it and the 2,500 miles posted the next day. I did not sign up for Advantage.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
The 2.5k didn't post for me and it's been a week. I guess I'll have to make a trade. No complaints here - I can just do a stupid cheap trade and with the fee it will be cheaper than Skymall and Office Max and Biscoff and everything with overpriced shipping...
.....u r right, my OM was $11, Biscoff $13, and SM $9.
Clearly better than the $25+ car rentals I am starting to consider....

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by keirnna
I made no trade, funded my account with $100 when opening it and the 2,500 miles posted the next day. I did not sign up for Advantage.
I never funded the account, so that could be the problem.

Just put some cash in there and I'll report back to see if that works.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:01 pm

Since I opened my IRA account, I have received a daily mail reminding me to fund my account and/or start purchasing....

Anyone else receiving this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.