Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The United-Delta Grudge Match Escalates (Article Posted on fool.com)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The United-Delta Grudge Match Escalates (Article Posted on fool.com)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:31 pm

I am looking at timetables for SEA - LAX - SEA for 5/14 and 6/14. There is now an A320 showing - along with 2x CRJ200. This is a tepid response to DL but a return to mainline on this route nonetheless.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by B787938
I am looking at timetables for SEA - LAX - SEA for 5/14 and 6/14. There is now an A320 showing - along with 2x CRJ200. This is a tepid response to DL but a return to mainline on this route nonetheless.
too far in advance to mean anything at all. i am still seeing schedule and equipment changes on flights in December and January.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:20 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
I'm about to book my winter trips to SE Asia. I'm doing SEA-NRT-BKK, and right now, Delta and United have equivalent departures, block times, and fares. Since I'm a silver on UA I'm paying for everything, and with the added charges, it's pretty much neck and neck. What makes me lean toward UA are the bag fees I won't have to pay for being a silver, and the fact that I'll clinch Gold for 2014. What makes me lean away from them is that they're putting the Nightmareliner on the route starting in February.

I'll probably book with UA because it's the devil I know TPAC. Though when everything resets on 1/1 DL might get the nod.

Beyond that, there's not much difference between the two, and I think that's where we're headed in the long term.
Why are you not considering your other *A options such as NH via NRT & OZ via ICN?

LAX
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:17 am

Air France A380 Flying To San Francisco Starting March 30, 2014

Air France A380 Flying To San Francisco Starting March 30, 2014

Of course, AF is a DL Skyteam partner...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 am

I am a huge fan of AF, and I very much like their C product.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Crappy hard product into a crappy airport. I doubt UA is much worried.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you look at the comments section of the blog post I linked to (Lucky), you'll see UA is lower (price) in Economy and F, but exactly equal in C for the dates I looked at.

For a DL fan / Skyteam member, this will be an attractive option.

From a competitive standpoint, I am sure UA is taking note...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've flown J on the AF A-380 and I disagree. The seats are pretty good, especially in a 2-2-2 configuration. Now on the 777 in 2-3-2 I agree with you. Give me 2-2-2 on AF over 2-4-2 on UA any day.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you look at the comments section of the blog post I linked to (Lucky), you'll see UA is lower (price) in Economy and F, but exactly equal in C for the dates I looked at.

For a DL fan / Skyteam member, this will be an attractive option.

From a competitive standpoint, I am sure UA is taking note...
Well I hope you're right and that it leads UA to increase capacity SFO-Europe. It is so difficult to find R space on any TATL flight out of SFO these days.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've flown J on the AF A-380 and I disagree. The seats are pretty good, especially in a 2-2-2 configuration. Now on the 777 in 2-3-2 I agree with you. Give me 2-2-2 on AF over 2-4-2 on UA any day.
You would take angled 2-2-2 over lie flat 2-4-2?

I would take flat over anything...

"lucky said,
@ Robert Hanson — While I agree it’s not a great product since it’s angled flat, the configuration is 2-2-2 in business class on the upper deck, no?"
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
+1 I have enjoyed my AF flights in J since UA mucked up the IAD-CDG route a couple of years ago...and will be flying them from SFO when they start up...and while their hard product is mediocre...their soft product far exceeds that of UA!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by 1KPath
+1 I have enjoyed my AF flights in J since UA mucked up the IAD-CDG route a couple of years ago...and will be flying them from SFO when they start up...and while their hard product is mediocre...their soft product far exceeds that of UA!
UA has been flying SFO-CDG for awhile now. Why not fly that?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Indeed. The UA seats are too narrow to be comfortable for me, and frankly, I don't feel much difference between the angled AF seat and the lie flat UA one. Couple angled 2-2-2 with superior catering and vastly superior wines and I cannot think of a time I'd rather fly UA than AF.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Indeed. The UA seats are too narrow to be comfortable for me, and frankly, I don't feel much difference between the angled AF seat and the lie flat UA one. Couple angled 2-2-2 with superior catering and vastly superior wines and I cannot think of a time I'd rather fly UA than AF.
+1 based on my three AF data-points.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dimramon
I've had good experiences on Delta, even on their nice and clean CR7's.
The problem for me is the alliance.
When the Joint Venture between Delta and Virgin Atlantic has commenced, there is less need for AF/KL.

"lucky said,
@ Robert Hanson — While I agree it’s not a great product since it’s angled flat, the configuration is 2-2-2 in business class on the upper deck, no?"
The angled-flat AF seats are pretty close to 180 degree flat in practice, considering the slight up-nose angle of the plane. In fact, lying on a fully flat bed at cruising altitude would make you slide back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.