Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

100% lie-flat business class seats for long-haul international!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% lie-flat business class seats for long-haul international!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JDS747
...I would say it's possible to still get an old one on the shorter routes. Like NRT-BKK or something like that.
I had this happen two weeks ago.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I really don't understand how/why UA says this when it's clearly not true. The HNL-NRT flights will still be operated with old-J (and there will likely still be the occasional substitution on NRT-SEA). Unless UA doesn't consider HNL-NRT to be a longhaul international route, this announcement seems very disingenuous at best.

-FlyerBeek
Their quote specifically said all longhaul flights out of New York Metro Area, it did not say network wide. That said, only those 4 aircraft remain, so truthfully your odds are pretty good systemwide except SEA-NRT
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Now it is time to update the PMCO 777s and the 1990s feel in business class!
Really? The PMCO 777's are fantastic in business with the 2/2/2 configuration. I miss them from the IAH-LHR route
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Now it is time to update the PMCO 777s and the 1990s feel in business class!
To the enhanced 2-4-2 in the PMUA 777s? No thanks to middle seat business class seats.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
Really? The PMCO 777's are fantastic in business with the 2/2/2 configuration. I miss them from the IAH-LHR route
Don't worry... I think you'll be getting the 787 on that route soon.

I'm thinking with the 787s coming online and the fact there are only 3 non converted 777s the chances of getting one of those on anything other then HNL routes is pretty slim, and would only happen if UA had to do a last minute swap in NRT or something.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jsdc
From reading this site, I know I should be prepared for extreme disappointment, but I am still looking forward to it. To me, it is total luxury just to be able to stretch out and relax while flying over the ocean.
Extreme? No, the PMUA biz seats are soft and completely lie flat. The narrowness bothers some but it was fine for me to get 4-5 hours sleep on Friday.

Extreme disappointment would be AA or LH angled seats.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
From reading this site, I know I should be prepared for extreme disappointment, but I am still looking forward to it. To me, it is total luxury just to be able to stretch out and relax while flying over the ocean.
There are a lot of legitimate complaints about UA that you'll find aired on this forum, but the comfort of the UA lie-flat seat is rarely brought up - it's a nice ride! Very comfortable. I imagine that it can feel a little narrow to some people, but if you're of reasonable height (up to 6-2) and weight, you will love it!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What was the total time on the conversation? I remember a couple years ago playing dodge the Barca, thinking it was taking a looooong time.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:12 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink Let's See...

Well,

1. I guess this is good news.
2. Hold it, not ALL birds have indeed been converted.
3. I stopped flying flying UA 2 years.
4. I guess I just don't care!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Cool. I have a business class round trip on United (IAD-FRA) next month and, for a variety of reasons, haven't had the opportunity to fly int'l C class since the days of the barcaloungers. From reading this site, I know I should be prepared for extreme disappointment, but I am still looking forward to it. To me, it is total luxury just to be able to stretch out and relax while flying over the ocean.
The sUA and sCO lie-flat biz seats are both fantastic. I think most of the negative chatter on this site about both products comes from the serial mileage redeemers who (rightly) recognize that for the same miles you can get a better soft product on SQ and others. That is all true, but doesn't take away from the fact that UA's intl biz seats are a great ride and the service is sometimes pretty nice too.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by greathustle
The sUA and sCO lie-flat biz seats are both fantastic. I think most of the negative chatter on this site about both products comes from the serial mileage redeemers who (rightly) recognize that for the same miles you can get a better soft product on SQ and others. That is all true, but doesn't take away from the fact that UA's intl biz seats are a great ride and the service is sometimes pretty nice too.
Good luck getting that seat on SQ except when they screw up something in their computer system (which happens, but not often enough). Most of the time, SQ longhaul from the USA is blocked from partner redemption, which makes redemption for SQ's better soft product more theoretical than practical.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Virgin America, British Airways, JetBlue, Alaska
United Correction:

Hey FTers! You all are right, as usual. United responded to my queries about the HNL-NRT flights. Here's what spokesperson Karen May wrote to The Bay Area Traveler:

"It appears I misspoke when I said 100 percent of our long-haul international flights have flatbed seats. I just learned today that our flights between Honolulu and Tokyo do not have them yet. I apologize for the error."

Sorry for the mix up, which I've corrected on SFgate and The Bay Area Traveler.

--Chris M

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/06/09/100-...-economy-plus/

http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/201...-100-lie-flat/
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Well,

1. I guess this is good news.
2. Hold it, not ALL birds have indeed been converted.
3. I stopped flying flying UA 2 years.
4. I guess I just don't care!
But you still can't quit the UA forum, can you?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ticketatl
Hey FTers! You all are right, as usual. United responded to my queries about the HNL-NRT flights. Here's what spokesperson Karen May wrote to The Bay Area Traveler:

"It appears I misspoke when I said 100 percent of our long-haul international flights have flatbed seats. I just learned today that our flights between Honolulu and Tokyo do not have them yet. I apologize for the error."

Sorry for the mix up, which I've corrected on SFgate and The Bay Area Traveler.

--Chris M

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/06/09/100-...-economy-plus/

http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/201...-100-lie-flat/
Hey Chris -

Keep up the good work!

You know you should trust the experts on FT ahead of any UA spokesperson!

LarkSFO
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by StingWest
There are a lot of legitimate complaints about UA that you'll find aired on this forum, but the comfort of the UA lie-flat seat is rarely brought up - it's a nice ride! Very comfortable. I imagine that it can feel a little narrow to some people, but if you're of reasonable height (up to 6-2) and weight, you will love it!
A little narrow? It's only 2" wider than economy. Maybe manageable if you just sleep on your side, but if you try sit up in the middle its awful. PMCO gives you 3" more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.