Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

100% lie-flat business class seats for long-haul international!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

As recently announced by UA, the entire long-haul fleet is now 100% horizontaly lie flat seating in business class (not to be confused with LH angled "lie-flat" which is not actually 180degree perpendicular flat). I gather this means that the last of the old 777s has been updated and that we do not have to worry about last minute swaps into the old config anymore.

Media reports here:

http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/201...-100-lie-flat/

Perhaps we should close the existing threads on 777 old-config.

Nice to have some good news from UA.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
There are still three non ER 777s that aren't reconfigured. Until those are reconfigured to the new two class domestic configuration I would say it's possible to still get an old one on the shorter routes. Like NRT-BKK or something like that.

It's probably very unlikely though given it looks like the IPTE non ER birds are flying out of ORD and IAD to Europe, and the other three are flying IAH/SFO-HNL and HNL-NRT.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:27 pm

Cool. I have a business class round trip on United (IAD-FRA) next month and, for a variety of reasons, haven't had the opportunity to fly int'l C class since the days of the barcaloungers. From reading this site, I know I should be prepared for extreme disappointment, but I am still looking forward to it. To me, it is total luxury just to be able to stretch out and relax while flying over the ocean.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
How about B767-200?

Have they been re-configured, retired, or not-flying international long haul?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm still suspicious about the SEA-NRT route - are we sure every overwater 777 has been converted?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm still suspicious about the SEA-NRT route - are we sure every overwater 777 has been converted?
I would not put it beyond airline management to fabricate - EK blatantly lied to a WSJ reporter about having 100% lie flat horizontal on all its flights to the USA (he refused to correct the story after I informed him of this). However in UA's case we had pretty good intell that only 4 777s were still in old-config, so it is plausible that they have now been relegated to domestic flights.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
You can always track where the three unconverted 3 class 777s are to-day.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N779UA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N772UA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N768UA
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Do they use door 1L at CDG for 767 400?

Our flight has been switched from a 757-200 to 767-400ER. We are in BF. Trying to figure where to sit for quicker exit from the plane at CDG. Is door 1L used for this aircraft there?
Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsdc
From reading this site, I know I should be prepared for extreme disappointment
I would disagree with that. Sure there are things that could be better but overall the hard product (seat) is good.

You should look forward to it!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
I just flew BF to HNL-NRT in the old recliner seats on a 777. This route will likely continue with the old configuration for the next few months. Supposedly all other international routes have the lie-flat outside of a few substitutions.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Have they been re-configured, retired, or not-flying international long haul?
All 762 exited the fleet, based on https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I really don't understand how/why UA says this when it's clearly not true. The HNL-NRT flights will still be operated with old-J (and there will likely still be the occasional substitution on NRT-SEA). Unless UA doesn't consider HNL-NRT to be a longhaul international route, this announcement seems very disingenuous at best.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bocastephen
AFAIK, not to those Domestic HNL 772. At least this is my experience 6 weeks ago.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would not put it beyond airline management to fabricate - EK blatantly lied to a WSJ reporter about having 100% lie flat horizontal on all its flights to the USA (he refused to correct the story after I informed him of this). However in UA's case we had pretty good intell that only 4 777s were still in old-config, so it is plausible that they have now been relegated to domestic flights.
One of the barcalounger birds is on the HNL-NRT route at the moment. Since the last time I checked that was an international route, and longer than many TATL routes, the UA claim is simply false.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Now it is time to update the PMCO 777s and the 1990s feel in business class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.