Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"You Deserve Instant Elite Status" eMails from American Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)

Looks like AA is out there again being aggressive trying to poach elites.....just got this:

----------
Dear GroundStop,

Enhancing your journey is important to us, so we're instantly upgrading your membership to AAdvantage® Gold through August 31, 2013. Gold status comes with exclusive privileges that will make your travel more enjoyable.

You also have a unique opportunity to extend your Gold status through February 28, 2015. Simply register and earn 6,000 miles or points on American and other select airlines* between now and August 31, 2013. That's all it takes to continue receiving these special benefits, including:
  • Confirmed upgrades as early as 24 hours prior to departure
  • 25% mileage bonus on base miles flown
  • Complimentary access to Preferred Seats
  • Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra through December 31, 2013
  • Waived charges for two checked bags
  • Priority Access at check-in and through security and boarding
As an added perk, we will deposit ten 500-mile upgrades into your account just for registering.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
How would AA know you're elite with UA? Have you told them in the past?

Unless there's some specific reason they're doing this on your account, this just looks like a dilution of AA's own elite product (particularly PriorityAAcess which they have just cut back on eligibility for).
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Would be interested to know if you've recently had a decent spend with AA. Clearly they are trying to nab HVC's as opposed to those who just fly a lot. Would be interesting to see if spend on F/J or Y gets you a bump.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by GroundStop
Looks like AA is out there again being aggressive trying to poach elites.....just got this:

----------
were you an AA GM before? have you been rapidly accruing miles this year? more info would be helpful

i am thinking about calling them and just asking for a mAAtch outright and seeing what they say, later this year...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Status Free
No status on UA

I just got a similar offer but for platinum. I have never had any status on UA, however, I had platinum or gold status on AA for a decade until this year, when I finally fell from grace.

My offer reads:
Enhancing your journey is important to us, so we're instantly upgrading your membership to AAdvantage® Platinum through
August 31, 2013. Platinum status comes with exclusive privileges that will make your travel more enjoyable.

You also have the unique opportunity to extend your Platinum status through February 28, 2015. Simply register and earn 12,000 miles or points on American and other select airlines* between now and
August 31, 2013. That's all it takes to continue receiving these special benefits, including:

Confirmed upgrades as early as 72 hours prior to departure
100% mileage bonus on base miles flown
Complimentary access to Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Extra
Waived charges for two checked bags
Priority Access at check-in and through security and boarding

As an added perk, we will deposit twenty 500-mile upgrades into your account just for registering.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Being based at ORD, I would jump on that offer. I've beeb a loyal UA/Star flyer for twenty six years but Jeffy has me fed up and willing to at least split some of my business. SFO is a little more complicated with AA but it could at least make a good back-up program for OP.

Last edited by jchiguy1; Apr 29, 2013 at 8:42 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by ddrost1
were you an AA GM before? have you been rapidly accruing miles this year? more info would be helpful
I was AA Gold a few years back, but to honest I have probably flown maybe 5-6 flights in the past couple of years, primarily when schedule or price necessitated it.

Given my flight patterns, this will be a nice backup but not something that will make me swap my loyalty
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Don't think it has anything to do with status on UA (although I'm 1K) since both me and my wife just received similar emails. My wife has never had status on UA or AA, but she's been Silver on US, but not currently, and she got the AA Gold offer. I'm currently Gold on AA and was Chairman's Preferred on US for several years running (and currently Lifetime Silver) and I got the Platinum offer from AA. So, it would seem to me that if it had anything to do with status on another airline, it's tied to their merger partner, USAirways, or just completely random based on some other formula.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Shouldn't have anything to do with the US merger yet, I wouldn't think, as that hasn't received the necessary approvals.

A note for those wishing UA would offer something similar: UA has been known to match these AA insta-status offers.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
1K here and never had elite status of any kind with AA. I received a comp to AA Platinum with the 12,000 mile/point challenge.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I give AA a big ^ again.
I appreciate businesses trying to recruit customers like this. I was happy to get matched Exp last year when things as a 1K were coming to a crashing bottom for me. It has been a breath of fresh air and AA has earned a lot of my flying now for opening the door last year. I applaud them for their continued work inviting others over.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
1K here and never had elite status of any kind with AA. I received a comp to AA Platinum with the 12,000 mile/point challenge.
Interesting. I assume you have an AAdvantage #. I wonder why you got the Plat offer instead of Gold. I assumed that they'd offer Gold to someone with no status and Plat to Gold status members, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Soft landing to AA Gold this year from measly 12,000 EQM last year. No offer for me.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by XLR26
Interesting. I assume you have an AAdvantage #. I wonder why you got the Plat offer instead of Gold. I assumed that they'd offer Gold to someone with no status and Plat to Gold status members, etc.
I've had an AAvantage account since 1989, but have only flown AA about a dozen times. I'm not sure how AA knows I have elite status with UA; it's possible I filled out some form/survey in which I would have disclosed that, but I don't recall a specific event. I have, however, flown US several times as a 1K (either UA codeshare or direct booking) so they would have my information.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 29, 2013 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Shouldn't have anything to do with the US merger yet, I wouldn't think, as that hasn't received the necessary approvals.
The merger may not be approved yet but that won't stop the airlines from aggressively looking to shore up their elite member ranks going in to the integration process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.