Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...and just another milestone update here, Sunday night's UA1748 JFK-SFO on #5355 was the last scheduled flight of the previous p.s. configuration.

As of today [2 December 2013], all p.s. flights on JFK-LAX/SFO are scheduled with the new configuration.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sruly
Seat guru says it 68.0 inch seat pitch in F vs. 58.0 on the new BF
I don't how Seat Guru purports to measure pitch on new BF. UA says 76" "sleeping space" (which obviously includes the footwell). I can tell you that new BF certainly feels like much more than 58' pitch, particularly since there is no possibiltiy of the seat in front reclining into you.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't how Seat Guru purports to measure pitch on new BF. UA says 76" "sleeping space" (which obviously includes the footwell). I can tell you that new BF certainly feels like much more than 58' pitch, particularly since there is no possibiltiy of the seat in front reclining into you.
In theory, pitch is always measured the same way, which is a pretty bad way of measuring anything with respect to angled seats.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
In theory, pitch is always measured the same way, which is a pretty bad way of measuring anything with respect to angled seats.
It's not even a good way of measuring non-angled seats, since it ignores the thickness of the seats. But what can you do?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It's also much less meaningful when the seats are in pods and don't recline. 58" can feel tight if the seat in front reclines back two or three feet. But with a static seat pod, you've basically got a guaranteed five feet of space between you and the seat in front of you.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's also much less meaningful when the seats are in pods and don't recline. 58" can feel tight if the seat in front reclines back two or three feet. But with a static seat pod, you've basically got a guaranteed five feet of space between you and the seat in front of you.
With forward-facing seats? Only if the seat you're sitting on is negative two inches deep.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by EAA795
I was checked in and they still changed it.
Apparently this can only be done as part of the check-in process (makes sense since it was noted that this would only happen within 24 hours of departure).

Here's the timeline of my seat re-assignment (I'm flying 6a JFK-SFO tmrw):

-Originally had 1A/1B assigned
-We were booted to 10A/10D (yes, we were briefly separated) on 6/11
-At around 1p today, mobile boarding passes for 1A/1B showed up on my United app and I had not checked in for the flight

So it appears if you are not checked in, UA will do it for you in order to make the seat re-assignment. Just glad it worked as intended!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:29 pm

When I checked in I was still seated in row 10 but it updated itself before i got to the airport.

I am not an elite member but yet when I called up I was seated in row 1 a/b.

On the flight there was 5 empty seats up front (although business class was full)

No one on the plane new that this was supposed to be a 2 cabin plane and all thought that up front was still first class.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Pre-check beware

Originally Posted by daslax
So it appears if you are not checked in, UA will do it for you in order to make the seat re-assignment. Just glad it worked as intended!
On my way back to JFK UA once again checked in for me and re-assigned me to row 1. I noticed, however, that the pre-check symbol did not appear on the mobile BP and sure enough when I scanned it the magic "3" was missing. I checked and my Pass ID was intact on the reservation. I used the mobile app to "reprint" the boarding pass and when doing so, the pre-check symbol and "3" digit appeared. So be aware that whatever they're doing at check-in may preclude you from being designated pre-check in that process. Good news is it appears it's fixed by a simple "reprint". Check your BP's!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Apparently this can only be done as part of the check-in process (makes sense since it was noted that this would only happen within 24 hours of departure).
If the PS flight is part of a TPAC sequence checkin will be done far before the 24 hour mark making your statement inaccurate.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Strange behavior on United Seat Map & UA #5757?

Hi folks,
So I was excited to see if my p.s. flight tonight (UA 220 from SFO to JFK) would be the new re-config! But after checking the flight status, it shows as aircraft #5757 (757-200). Oddly, the United page where they are showing what aircraft have been reconfigured (https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...-aircraft.aspx) doesn't even show this plane at all (reconfigured or not). What's that mean? Is this a standard p.s. plane that will never be reconfigured, or something else?

Also, something interesting happened, I'll warn others I suppose :-) I selected 1A as my seat in advance. I was unable to change my seat via the seat map for the past week. Yesterday I called to find out why as I was debating going back to 9D and was told "it would be difficult" to change me to 9D because I had "already been upgraded to first." Weird? So even though the booking is 2-cabin, it's not really 2-cabin? I tried to skim the posts in here to see if there were other complaints about this but this thread has way too many topics so I kind of gave up. Anyone know what's up here?

FInally, I noticed when booking that I was able to pick any Business or First seat. That means if every seat had sold it would result in too many seats being sold in Business or First (via upgrade or otherwise) had it been the new configuration, no? Because there are less total overall upgraded seats? So what happens to those in row 11/etc. who no longer have a seat on the new config? I ask because I have the same setup on my return :-)

Thanks in advance for all the Qs.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If the PS flight is part of a TPAC sequence checkin will be done far before the 24 hour mark making your statement inaccurate.
Not really... my statement was intended to mean that the seat change will only happen if you've already checked in or if UA proactively checks you in to do the seat change. If you've checked in at any point prior to UA's re-assignment, be it 23 hours or 36 hours, you will still only be able to check-in with your row 5-11 seats - then at some point prior to departure (and only within 24 hours), UA will go into your checked-in record and give you the row 1-3 seats you were originally assigned (or check-in for you if you have not already done so).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Hi folks,
So I was excited to see if my p.s. flight tonight (UA 220 from SFO to JFK) would be the new re-config! But after checking the flight status, it shows as aircraft #5757 (757-200). Oddly, the United page where they are showing what aircraft have been reconfigured (https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...-aircraft.aspx) doesn't even show this plane at all (reconfigured or not). What's that mean? Is this a standard p.s. plane that will never be reconfigured, or something else?

Also, something interesting happened, I'll warn others I suppose :-) I selected 1A as my seat in advance. I was unable to change my seat via the seat map for the past week. Yesterday I called to find out why as I was debating going back to 9D and was told "it would be difficult" to change me to 9D because I had "already been upgraded to first." Weird? So even though the booking is 2-cabin, it's not really 2-cabin? I tried to skim the posts in here to see if there were other complaints about this but this thread has way too many topics so I kind of gave up. Anyone know what's up here?

FInally, I noticed when booking that I was able to pick any Business or First seat. That means if every seat had sold it would result in too many seats being sold in Business or First (via upgrade or otherwise) had it been the new configuration, no? Because there are less total overall upgraded seats? So what happens to those in row 11/etc. who no longer have a seat on the new config? I ask because I have the same setup on my return :-)

I'm wondering the exact same things...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Hi folks,

I think the short answer is that the process has taken longer than original UA plan, and some flights which had scheduled to be new PS birds are reverting back to legacy PS birds. This happened to me 2 weeks ago. When it happens, all kinds of crazy stuff happens, but the good part is that the legacy PS have 38 premium seats (C & F cabins) vs 28 BF seats, so there isn't much chance of losing an upgrade... but I suppose it could happen.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I think the short answer is that the process has taken longer than original UA plan, and some flights which had scheduled to be new PS birds are reverting back to legacy PS birds. This happened to me 2 weeks ago. When it happens, all kinds of crazy stuff happens, but the good part is that the legacy PS have 38 premium seats (C & F cabins) vs 28 BF seats, so there isn't much chance of losing an upgrade... but I suppose it could happen.
I think the concern is the opposite, if they swap a new configuration for old, there will be a loss of 10 seats. I'm curious whether UA is currently booking past 28 premium seats on any ps flights to avoid this potential problem.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Not really... my statement was intended to mean that the seat change will only happen if you've already checked in or if UA proactively checks you in to do the seat change. .
This I agree with.

Your initial post on this subject said, "Apparently this can only be done as part of the check-in process" which is not the same as your more recent discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.