Search

UA Bereavement fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
What? No, not reasonable at all.

$25 is 5% of $500.

So $475? To where? RT?

No, not good at all when they sell tickets on a RT pretty much anywhere in the continental US for $250-$300 if you buy with enough advance purchase time.

You may say "Well that's with advanced purchase..." Well sorry, I can't schedule when a loved one is going to pass away. I think it's a really awful penny pinching policy.

Priceline it. Just more proof the airlines HAVE seats they're willing to sell cheap, but god forbid they do so for someone who has a very valid reason for booking last minute.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:10 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Not reasonable. The chances are that a bereavement fare will be an expensive last-minute ticket. 5% off that is not much. I guess that is how much "compassion" UA has an airline. Of course, I remember post 9/11, CO and UA lining up for tax payer dollars because they were in such bad shape. The Feds should have been equally compassionate.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
It's certainly different.

It used to be that these booked in Q, and they were 25% of the Y fare, with the full set of taxes and surcharges. Often that meant that an S or a T was cheaper. However, the bereavement fare was changeable for a fairly low amount: I think it was $25 or $50.

So, as an example, suppose I had to go from ORD to ATL tomorrow, and return a week later. Cheapest fare is a U/V at $504. Full Y is $2056+22, so the "old" United would have charged $536 (and the non-bereavement fare would have been cheaper) and the "new" United $479.

My experience is that this is one of the best uses of miles there is.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:55 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What are you all talking about with "compassion"? You're talking about receiving a discount on a business service by a corporation. There's no entitlement to air travel, and you shouldn't expect "compassion", nor should you show them any. Go where the fares are cheapest -- try priceline as suggested above, or use miles. This is business -- don't expect anything unless it benefits them, don't give anything unless it benefits you.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is one of those situations where having miles comes in handy assuming you have an emergency stash of some kind.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Used to be 10% off when booked by phone as recently as 2010.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P
It's a much less generous policy than AA has. I had to get an SFO-BOS bereavement ticket in October. At the time, last-minute fares on both airlines were $1100 for the roundtrip. UA offered me the standard 5% off. AA offered me a $700 fare.

Of course, either way was ridiculously expensive, but UA happened to still have a few mileage saver tickets, so I swallowed the $50 let's-shaft-2Ps fee (which they wouldn't waive for a bereavement) and flew on miles.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is one of those situations where having miles comes in handy assuming you have an emergency stash of some kind.
+1

Beside - AFAIK, bereavement fares are scams anyway (as you may be able to buy something even cheaper).
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
For some people the price of travel would prevent them from attending a funeral. This is unfortunate but it's not the airline's fault.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous - Platinum, Gamblers Anonymous - Gold
Originally Posted by TA
What are you all talking about with "compassion"? You're talking about receiving a discount on a business service by a corporation. There's no entitlement to air travel, and you shouldn't expect "compassion", nor should you show them any. Go where the fares are cheapest -- try priceline as suggested above, or use miles. This is business -- don't expect anything unless it benefits them, don't give anything unless it benefits you.
That's the harsh reality.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by donjo
For some people the price of travel would prevent them from attending a funeral. This is unfortunate but it's not the airline's fault.
I agree, it's not the airline's fault. It would be generous of them to offer more of a discount but not mandatory to give anyone a discount at all. To get indignant about it not being more puzzles me. Once you land, does your taxi driver give you a discount if you say you are there for a funeral? Your hotel? What other discounts do you expect to come your way?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The car service which takes you to/from the airport, hotel at which you stay, restaurants at which you eat and car rental company at the destination, don't generally offer bereavement rates, why should air carriers?

So, why is it unreasonable that any discount is offered?

None of this is to suggest that it isn't a bad thing that one can't afford to travel to a close relative's funeral, but there are many much harsher realities in life.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K (2.7 million miler)
The one time I really needed help from the 'bereavement' department was to urgently get a seat on an oversold flight on Christmas Eve. I was grateful that they accommodated me on that flight within a couple of hours. Must have had to compensate someone else for denied boarding. I did pay full boat, though. There was never any expectation or offer of a discount.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:16 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Often1
The car service which takes you to/from the airport, hotel at which you stay, restaurants at which you eat and car rental company at the destination, don't generally offer bereavement rates, why should air carriers?

So, why is it unreasonable that any discount is offered?...
This is one of the fascinating things to me (and not to say the OP or anyone here is holding airlines responsible). But why does an airline especially receive the brunt of people's sense of what a company "should" / "shouldn't" do? E.g. more than the taxi driver or hotel that you mentioned.

Is it because air travel is the most expensive part of a trip? Or the biggest constraining factor of someone getting somewhere?

Just interested in how airlines manage to be the target of ire...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Wow that's down significantly from even last year when it was 20% on Continental flights. My dad passed away suddenly in Oct, 2011 while he and my mom were visiting Lisbon, Portugal. I went online and purchased my mom a one way business class ticket LIS-EWR-SEA for the next day for $3,800 (C Fare).. and later sent in the documentation and got $760 refunded. As I recall at the time the discount was larger if the ticket cost over a certain amount... but I don't remember what the amount was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.