Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Holding a BP does NOT mean that its your seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holding a BP does NOT mean that its your seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BeatCal
The OP is wrong. The FA in her/his authority can change your seat. You were the last on board. Part of her job is to get the plane in the air on time by getting people seated. Bdid you want her to wait and have the plane late.
Let's see how long UA lasts if FAs regularly arbitrarily tell pax who are among the last to board, "Sorry, I put someone else in your seat so we can leave on time."
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
You did not read the whole post did you, handicapped person moved - that person required moving. Was she also elite and did not want to move to middle seat?

It is amazing the "entitlement" some on here feel
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA gold
You did not read the whole post did you, handicapped person moved - that person required moving. Was she also elite and did not want to move to middle seat?

+1
Not even a middle seat—It was a Q200. On a 30 minute flight.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:44 am

Sure did read it.

The person who took the OP's seat was moved for a handicapped person--but that doesn't mean she can just take someone else's seat and force a cascade of moves.

This has nothing to do with "entitlement," by the way.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Yes, yes, yes, we all get it...we are all over entitled Customers paying big bucks to fly on a airline that continues to make it's run for the worst airline in the US...we get it.

So here is the catch...we can take our business else where. That's what makes the over entitlement piece a little questionable. Are we over entitled, or Customers with a choice, a choice that could bring UA to its knees in bankruptcy when the seasoned traveler chooses the superior products on the market. Airlines that promise and deliver, versus UA's bate and switch for every benefit you can name...sure they can hide behind the micro print set of rules some of our fellow UA supporters on the forum can quote and yes the terms of service are heavily (perhaps completely) slanted in UA's favor. We get all that, so no sense in bringing it back up. But what you ever so faithful $misek supporters don't get is that we have a choice. I have chosen the better product and laugh at people that keep their loyalty with UA and cry when for one reason or another I have to fly that depressing airline.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Let's see how long UA lasts if FAs regularly arbitrarily tell pax who are among the last to board, "Sorry, I put someone else in your seat so we can leave on time."
Sorry, but if you show up on my plane 2 minutes prior to departure and there is someone in your seat, you're taking whatever is empty because it's time to GO. I refuse to delay a flight because someone didn't bother to show up to the plane on time.

Of course, the one caveat is my plane doesn't have middle seats. I will go to bat for someone who shouldn't be in a middle seat because as a non-rev, that's about all I ever sit in so I understand the pain.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by reddirt14
Yes, yes, yes, we all get it...we are all over entitled Customers paying big bucks to fly on a airline that continues to make it's run for the worst airline in the US...we get it.

So here is the catch...we can take our business else where. That's what makes the over entitlement piece a little questionable. Are we over entitled, or Customers with a choice, a choice that could bring UA to its knees in bankruptcy when the seasoned traveler chooses the superior products on the market.
Choice #1 --- Go along with the program and shut up!

Choice #2 --- Don't go along with the program and b-tch the rest of your life!

Choice #3 --- Don't go along with the program and leave for greener
pastures and don't look back!

Choice #4 --- Say you're not going along with the program, when in fact you
are a (closet) card carrying member who makes idle threats
to appear important and think that you can change this new
regime by posting on FT with the same b.s. over & over.

Choice #5 --- (which is closely related to #1) Face the fact that you're
screwed if you don't get your miles posted properly, you are
required to sit in a seat not of your choosing, you can't make a reservation on the first umpteen calls to the 1K line, you can't find a saver award for the next 330 days out TO ANYWHERE, you can't get a straight answer to anything you ask the New UA, you are on pins and needles with face to face contact with t/a's, g/a's, and res agents, and if you have a issue which customer service is contacted - you're told to piss up a rope, then you keep going back for more, you probably need professional counseling to get your head straight so that you can get back to reality.

Originally Posted by Hachiko
Sorry, but if you show up on my plane 2 minutes prior to departure and there is someone in your seat, you're taking whatever is empty because it's time to GO.
The day I see "Hachiko Airlines" painted on the side of YOUR airplane will be the day I take ANY seat you assign me. Until then I'm sitting in MY ASSIGNED SEAT or the captain that YOU report to will be talking to me!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:45 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Hachiko
Sorry, but if you show up on my plane 2 minutes prior to departure and there is someone in your seat, you're taking whatever is empty because it's time to GO. I refuse to delay a flight because someone didn't bother to show up to the plane on time.

Of course, the one caveat is my plane doesn't have middle seats. I will go to bat for someone who shouldn't be in a middle seat because as a non-rev, that's about all I ever sit in so I understand the pain.
Most flights if you show up 2 minutes prior to departure, the door is already shut and the pax won't get onboard.

I didn't see anything from the OP indicating he arrived late--just that he was one of the last to board. If UA arbitrarily starts giving away the seats of pax who are boarding on time but last, then that is a major problem. I think you realize that's what I'm talking about, though.

Last edited by exerda; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:56 am Reason: typo fix
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
The OP is wrong. The FA in her/his authority can change your seat. You were the last on board. Part of her job is to get the plane in the air on time by getting people seated. Bdid you want her to wait and have the plane late.

There is no "guarantee." No airline I know guarantees any seat assignment. Your ticket entitles you to some seat on the flight, in the class of service you bought, but not any specific seat within that cabin. Seat assignment is an accommodation, not a "right."

With your argument, you are lucky she did not remove you from the plane.
I guess then we should all fly WN. No value in paying more for UA.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Most flights if you show up 2 minutes prior to departure, the door is already shut and the pax won't get onboard.

I didn't see anything from the OP indicating he arrived late--just that he was one of the last to board. If UA arbitrarily starts giving away the seats of pax who are boarding on time but last, then that is a major problem. I think you realize that's not what I'm talking about, though.
Not to mention that someone might be showing up late though no fault of her own, but rather because a connecting flight was delayed.

How hard is it to move the first passenger to a seat that is open?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LilAbner
The day I see "Hachiko Airlines" painted on the side of YOUR airplane will be the day I take ANY seat you assign me. Until then I'm sitting in MY ASSIGNED SEAT or the captain that YOU report to will be talking to me!
you must be a joy to deal with at the gate after one of the (frequent) A320 to A319 equipment swaps on UA. Got to love that attitude...

And to address a small part of another rant of yours further up the page - if you can't find reward flights to ANYWHERE you're doing it wrong. Looking 330 days out is your first mistake
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA erred.

If a disabled passenger had to be moved, then the person in that seat (the one needed by the disabled passenger) should have been moved to the originally-assigned seat belonging to the disabled passenger. In short, those two pax should have traded seats. Telling the able-bodied passenger to take any seat caused unnecessary cascading inconvenience when a simple swap would have caused no additional problems.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
you must be a joy to deal with at the gate after one of the (frequent) A320 to A319 equipment swaps on UA. Got to love that attitude...

And to address a small part of another rant of yours further up the page - if you can't find reward flights to ANYWHERE you're doing it wrong. Looking 330 days out is your first mistake
Hey super-star_world --- I don't have problems with g/a's and my post wasn't a rant as you inferred. I am always willing to change seats for, yes even non-rev's wanting to sit together when they board last (EXCEPT ASKING ME TO MOVE TO A BULKHEAD SEAT).

I am inclined not to have sympathy for ANY F/A that cops an attitude that it's THEIR airplane. Being civil towards their passengers is getting less prevalent and it's NOT about moving to another seat, it's how it is handled.

Several years ago LAX - LAS sitting in an exit row after just returning from BKK (via NRT), young new male FA tells my row to read the safety card which I take out of the seat back and look over for about a minute while he walks towards the back of the plane. A few mins later he returns to row 21 removes the card from the seat back and frisbee's it into my face stating, "I said read the card". Needless to say the captain got involved after the little twerp ran to the cockpit exclaiming "Citizen's Arrest". A DISCUSSION on the jetway with the captain got me home on that flight. Did I write a letter demanding compensation --- NO - and I never have, as I had other things to worry about, like the fact that i had a wife that was dying in Las Vegas, and like everyone that gets on planes, we all have different needs and problems.

These threads have turned into a battle between people that think UA can do no wrong and posters that hate the new UA so bad that there can be no mature discussion of the true facts. Attacking people that reply and putting words in their mouth, that aren't anywhere close to being factual, has become the norm.

I will also revise my previous post about not being able to find ANY saver awards 330 days in advance. After checking just now, I see millions of flights available for every day between now and the middle of May, 2013 for 3 people wanting to fly on the same airplanes from LAS to anywhere their little hearts desire. Plenty of upgrades (in advance) using GPU's also --- Please forgive my ignorance and callousness.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I board at the last permissible moment (i.e., 10-minutes prior to scheduled departure). I carry very little on-board so I don't care about bin space for one small computer bag.

Someone else is sitting in my assigned seat that I deliberately chose and I am not being offered another similar seat that I am willing to take?

No problem.

"You don't want to move the passenger who poached my seat and want the easy way out by telling me to sit elsewhere? Fine. I will not be taking this flight. I'm sure you'll be able to explain the delay to the company caused by having to find my checked luggage and offload it. Have a nice day."
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
It's sad how lazy FAs and GAs have become. You stood by your guns as best you could. That,s when you get the FA and GA names and write a nasty gram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.