Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just received the call today from someone at AA welcoming me after the status match and inquiring as to my reaction.

I don't actually have anything flown but I mentioned that the recent UA issues have driven me to cancel all of my UA tickets for the rest of year (award bookings) and re-book them via AA on paid tickets.

That means: 1 South America + 2 Europe trips so far planned and likely a few transcons.

He seemed genuinely interested and knowledgeable. We talked about how it was a problem for me that AA had pulled out of LGB since it was convenient for me. I did ask him about the upgrades with OW partners. I think the only bummer that I can see so far is the fact that I can't use the AA SWU's on BA or IB and they have a lot of the European non-stops for me.

OTOH, I've booked all AA flights and the upgrades have cleared at booking which was a huge ^ vs the UA SWU lottery.

At any rate, I'm sure it's just the honeymoon and their need to increase revenue during the BK issues.

Nonetheless, I give them a ^ for how they are handling the situation. They certainly aren't pushing me out of the fold the way UA is with bad service. I think I was used to general indifference on UA but it's lately changed to what I perceive as hostility.

I hope the AA thing works out for awhile. Being in LA, there really isn't a huge difference to me for UA v AA. I think I like *A better than OW - that's about the only saving grace for UA as I see it currently.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The one sthat require a connection that I fly sometimes are: BDL, FLL/MIA, PVD.

Most of the locations that I go to for leisure (specifically ORD, NYC and to some extent LAX) are as easy on AA as UA -- but UA definitely has the frequencies--with MIA of course being easier on AA.

The convenience for UA for me (And why I've decided to stay, begrudgingly)--HNL, MSP, STL, BOS.

Convenience will mean less and less though if quality of service continues to go down.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
The one sthat require a connection that I fly sometimes are: BDL, FLL/MIA, PVD.

Most of the locations that I go to for leisure (specifically ORD, NYC and to some extent LAX) are as easy on AA as UA -- but UA definitely has the frequencies--with MIA of course being easier on AA.

The convenience for UA for me (And why I've decided to stay, begrudgingly)--HNL, MSP, STL, BOS.

Convenience will mean less and less though if quality of service continues to go down.
We'll see... I am giving UA some more rope...

I forgot San Diego and Cancun...

Two flights a day to Aspen look nice...

I thought UA was starting a direct flight to Jackson Hole as well?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Yeah, for me it's the star alliance network. I fly into Europe at least four times a year from BOS. The one connection in ORD/EWR/IAD is great for me (BRU is where I head for the most part).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

You didn't actually drink a Bailey's and Diet Coke, did you?
Bailey's was for after meal.
I won't mix them, ok?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
Yeah, for me it's the star alliance network. I fly into Europe at least four times a year from BOS. The one connection in ORD/EWR/IAD is great for me (BRU is where I head for the most part).
You fly to Europe from BOS via ORD?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by OskiBear
You fly to Europe from BOS via ORD?
Only if I have to (or I'm maximizing mileage). I prefer IAD or through AC in YYZ.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mitchmu
If that's the only reason you are with UA, then the next time they take you out of your confirmed E+ aisle or window seat and throw you into E- middle (see Random Seat Changes thread), you might decide to accelerate the switch.
It has never happened yet, but yeah, maybe.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I decided not to pursue the EXP status match due to 100,000 miles flown + booked on UA for 2012. There was no way I could also hit the requirements to continue EXP status. But this only reinforces the idea that I will look to status match for 2013 travel.
Problem is: AA matches are not the norm. They usually force you to do a challenge. The time to match is now. If you don't requalify, you soft land to Plat for 2013 then gold in 2012. OTOH, AA is giving plenty of incentive for UA members to earn EXP til Feb 2014 if they fly 55k by the end of 2013.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ltd-1k-gs.html

It's like people think this AA match will be around forever. They do not have a history of doing this. Treat is as a 1 time shot.

Last edited by fieldeng; Jul 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Problem is: AA matches are not the norm. They usually force you to do a challenge. The time to match is now. If you don't requalify, you soft land to Plat for 2013 then gold in 2012. OTOH, AA is giving plenty of incentive for UA members to earn EXP til Feb 2014 if they fly 45k by the end of 2013.

It's like people think this AA match will be around forever. They do not have a history of doing this. Treat is as a 1 time shot.
I didn't even think about the soft landing--that's a good deal in any case. And I do agree it's a once-in-a-lifetime shot; even my company can't get EXP status matches normally.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 am

Compliments of Garl Leff, View from the Wing

The Best and Worst Features of American Airlines

Definitely more good points about AA than negatives (from Gleff's persective anyway...)

(oops, sorry Gary, mispelled your name in the heading... Mods? Help?)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The Best and Worst Features of American Airlines

Definitely more good points about AA than negatives (from Gleff's persective anyway...)

(oops, sorry Gary, mispelled your name in the heading... Mods? Help?)
Garl (hehe ) makes some very good points.

My biggest "issues" with AA are the fuel surcharges on BA award tix. Pricing a o/w award in C was asking for $650, which led me to redeeming on LH F through FRA for $2.50...

In early June, I missed my ORD-DEN on AA, and the lack of SDC was disappointing. The next flight wasn't until 10am (three hour wait), but I was only able to stand by, until I ponied up the $75.. Decided to check .bomb and found a saver Y award ticket leaving at 8:00am- would have preferred to fly AA, but as some have mentioned, the frequencies on UA are much better for certain cities.

I'm looking forward to flying CX F next year, on the way to RGN. Definitely a bright spot in oneworld ^
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by 1KPath

AA received nearly 15,000 applications from UA elites for comp status after 3/3...and of this number, they estimate over 60% are really flying AA instead of UA...this includes approximately 5,000 1Ks and GSs. In addition, AA has received a number of corporate contracts that used to be UA exclusive...he even hinted that that a certain "mouse" company is considering a change! I asked if most of those switching were "discount" fliers...his response was the contrary. A significant percentage of those who comped status from UA are purchasing full/high fare coach and full fare/discount First and this was a pleasant surprise to AA! He indicated that more offers may be on the way!
Let's put some numbers to these figures.

It's somewhat generally accepted that GS' need $50K/year of full-fare tickets to maintain status. Some spend more, obviously. But let's say that each 1K/GS in the mix is worth $50K/year for number's sake, since we also have to account for the revenue from the 10K non-1K/GS flyers who've moved.

5,000 x 60% x $50,000 = $150,000,000.

I wasn't too clear on if the 5,000 number was already whittled down in the 60% figure or not. If not:

5,000 x $50,000 = $250,000,000

Even if the total annual revenue from those who took the status match is half that, I'd still say handing out the free SWUs, cost of processing the matches plus follow-ups, lounge passes, GoGo certs, etc. was well worth it for AA. That's a lot of dough they would have otherwise left on the table. The minimum this status match effort has to be worth to AA is probably $100M/yr.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by fieldeng
OTOH, AA is giving plenty of incentive for UA members to earn EXP til Feb 2014 if they fly 45k by the end of 2013.
Can you clarify this statement? Where are these numbers coming from?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Can you clarify this statement? Where are these numbers coming from?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ltd-1k-gs.html

If you have not matched already, go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.