Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Offers United 1K Elite AA Executive Platinum Match - Challenge
Program appears suspended or ended o/a 1 Oct 2015 but later reinstated

This thread pertains to Challenges issued primarily to UA 1K Elites to move their business to AA by bestowing temporary Executive Platinum status and establishing a ninety day period during which the enrollee must fly on AA and specific airline partners to retain status beyond the Challenge period.

NOTE: It appears AA has suspended or ended this program o/a 01 Oct 2015.

Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
I sent in my United 1K credentials and got this message back today after waiting 2 weeks for a reply:

Thanks for your response.

We no longer offer a challenge for United 1K members switching to
American. This promotion was an unpublished offer, and we've decided to
suspend enrollment for the time being. I'm sorry to disappoint you. We
hope that you're successful in earning your desired elite status soon.

Regards,

Andrew <redacted>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Others than UA 1Ks can challenge for status as described in:
Help Desk: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

For questions regarding AA Elite status, see AAdvantage Elite Status and Elite Status Benefits on aa.com.

Step #1 is to call AAdvantage Customer Service:

U.S. or Canada AAdvantage Customer Service
1-800-882-8880
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
1-817-963-7882 (Fax)

From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-786-3796
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
The process:
  1. Call AAdvantage Customer Service for the requirements
  2. You send AAdvantage the required documentation of your current UA status
  3. They reply you are qualified to the match challenge and ask you to confirm that you want to enroll in the challenge, and provide some details on the requirements
  4. You reply via email saying you wish to do the match
  5. They send the final email describing also what your AA Executive Platinum benefits will be for the duration of the match period
Code:
November, 2013 email 

Dear Mr. AAspirant,

Thank you for your interest in making American Airlines your first
choice for all your travel needs.

We are pleased to grant you a special AAdvantage Executive Platinum**
(oneworld Emerald) membership, valid through February 25, 2014 (or other date). Once
your status takes effect, your membership card will be mailed within 3
to 5 weeks to the address on your account. This one-time trial offer
will afford you all of the privileges and most of the benefits of this
level, including:

• Complimentary 500-Mile Upgrades (see www.aa.com/500mileupgrades)
  • 100% mileage bonus on base miles for eligible flights
  • Waived AA charges for two checked bags within current size and weight limits
  • PriorityAAccessSM privileges at airport check-in, security and boarding gates
In addition, if you earn 25,000 elite-qualifying points& by flying on select airlines* while enjoying this special AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, we will extend your membership through February 28, 2015 and deposit eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades** into your account. For more information about earning elite-qualifying points, visit aa.com/elitestatus at your convenience. We're here to help, should you have any questions related to this limited offer. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. Kindest Regards, XXX XXX AAdvantage Customer Service American Airlines * Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection carrier, US Airways, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair, as well as eligible codeshare flights. Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for this offer. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually. **AAdvantage Executive Platinum status received through this offer does not automatically include the eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades that are granted upon meeting the standard qualification requirements for this membership level. To receive this benefit, you must earn 25,000 points as noted above. Upon qualification, these upgrades will be deposited into your account within two weeks following your qualifying flight and will be valid for travel through February 28, 2015.
&American Airlines and US Airways flights earn from 0.5 to 1.5 Elite Qualifying Points per base / Elite Qualifying Miles. See here. The challenge is based on Points, not miles; one could fly deep discount fares and have to fly 50,000 miles to earn 25,000 points, and as few as 16,667 miles on B, Y and higher fares. Be aware: different airline partners may award fractional miles as well as fractional points for some fares, or even none for fares not listed on aa.com.

Older posts have been archived off. They can be read as follows:

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)
(full straight-on Status Match, April 2012)

and

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA Elites a status match "challenge"
(beginning May 2012, the offer becomes a status match challenge)

Print Wikipost

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat
Do you get any EVIPs during the EXP status match challenge?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ebaniaga
Do you get any EVIPs during the EXP status match challenge?
Kind of a moot point, as per Wiki:

Program appears suspended or ended o/a 1 Oct 2015

New recent Challenge for Gold and Platinum, not Exec Plat - in a different thread IIRC.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:58 pm

Seems AA exec challenge is back for United 1K's

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/aa-e...hallenge-2016/
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Got email from AA today: fly 35k elite miles by May 31 and be Executive Platinum until next February. Intriguing because I am based in CLT
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by manstein58
Got email from AA today: fly 35k elite miles by May 31 and be Executive Platinum until next February. Intriguing because I am based in CLT
Ditto on the offer - no cost acceptance, will give them a try see state of their game. My non UA travel habits domestically more often put me on Delta for routes like NYC - DCA, Atlanta, GSO, worth giving AA a try and see how they do.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
This is still available. Called in recently - 35k EQM on select OW carriers within 3 months
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:59 pm

Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited by MissJ; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
This is still available. Called in recently - 35k EQM on select OW carriers within 3 months
This is a better deal than the UA challenge to AA EP as the UA challenge requires 35k in 3 months on UA operated flights only, making it a bit more challenging.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Any recent experiences with a UA 1K to AA EXP status match? I called in last week and the rep sent me the "Documentation Request" email which I haven't set in yet. A bit worried since it says the challenge begins automatically upon approval and I want to make sure the goal is semi-realistic. I don't have any currently booked AA flights (as the email asks for) since I would want to see the scope of the challenge first. Although I would hope with my 2017 UA stats around 120k EQM, ~$17k EQD they would be giving me a decent match/challenge.

Also - do the same cutoffs usually apply to the EXP request like the Gold/Plat (i.e. before June 15, status only valid until end of this elite year, post June-15, valid until 2020)?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 7, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Any recent experiences with a UA 1K to AA EXP status match? I called in last week and the rep sent me the "Documentation Request" email which I haven't set in yet. A bit worried since it says the challenge begins automatically upon approval and I want to make sure the goal is semi-realistic. I don't have any currently booked AA flights (as the email asks for) since I would want to see the scope of the challenge first. Although I would hope with my 2017 UA stats around 120k EQM, ~$17k EQD they would be giving me a decent match/challenge.

Also - do the same cutoffs usually apply to the EXP request like the Gold/Plat (i.e. before June 15, status only valid until end of this elite year, post June-15, valid until 2020)?

Thanks in advance!
Just checking to see if anyone's had any experiences recently? Mainly just looking to know what the challenge requirements would be and I would assume (hope?) they would give an EXP some kind of status during the period.

Otherwise will still likely take a gamble but any insight is appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.