Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is an archive of older posts; please follow the original thread:
AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (consolidated)

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)

Original Offer from 4/26/12:
As rwsteelers noted in this POST, American is now status matching all UA customers!!! No challenge, no work, no fuss, no cost! Here are the details:

Call AA at 1-800-882-8880

They will send you an email. Reply with a copy of your card or image from web screen of your account

They will match you! That is it!

Here is a copy of the email they sent me, titled "Send UA Documentation":

Thanks for speaking with me about a special opportunity to obtain American Airlines AAdvantage® elite status without meeting the standard qualification requirements. In order to proceed, please provide us with documentation reflecting the Premier level that you hold with United Airlines.

Please send us the following documentation. Simply "Reply" to this message, and for prompt service, do not change the subject line:

• A copy of your dated elite membership card reflecting your name and Premier status level for the 2012 Membership Year (.pdf, .tif, .jpeg, .bmp formats, not to exceed 1MB)
  • Alternatively, you could send a copy or screen shot of your most recent account summary, reflecting your name and Premier status level (.pdf, .tif, .jpeg, .bmp formats, not to exceed 1MB)
  • Your AAdvantage number and phone number

Alternatively, you may FAX copies of your documentation to (817)963-7882. Be sure to include your AAdvantage number and phone number and the Subject Line: Requesting AAdvantage Elite Status. Please do not send both an email and a FAX.

Once your documentation is accepted, you will receive an email within10 days confirming your new AAdvantage elite status, which will be valid through February 28, 2013. Your credentials will follow in 3-5 weeks. Please note the following status equivalents:

• AAdvantage Gold® membership for Premier Silver
  • AAdvantage Platinum® membership for Premier Gold or Premier Platinum
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum® membership for Premier 1K

We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next American Airlines flight and await your reply.

Regards,

(deleted per FT rules)
AAdvantage Customer Service
Subject line for the original email from 4/20 - 4/27 was "Re: Send UA documentation". The current email which is limited to 1K and GS only is "Re: Earning Your Business". Email address to send to is [email protected].

Agent was quick to pick up the phone (pretty much immediate) and was extremely helpful and supportive. He said TWICE during our short call "thank you for your business, we really want to prove we are the right choice for you". Never in 25 years have I heard anything remotely like that from United. I am a GS, so assume I also get Exec Plat. Just in time for a flight I was going to take 3 weeks from now!!! UA just lost all my C fare business and AA just gained it!

On 4/26/12 morning, I sent a note to UA letting them know about this offer and saying bye-bye. I got a nice note from Martin Hand, SVP of Customer Experience at United (I believe Mileage Plus falls under him). He did not seem aware of the AA match and he wanted to better understand why I am leaving for AA. I let him know my big issues:
- lack of communication from UA (this is getting better)
- system problems (some progress, but this really hurt)
- loss of pre-merger UA 1MM benefits, specifically 2 annual RPUs that were promised for life. (no progress here)
I know everyone here is also very concerned about giving higher upgrade priority to people who purchase cheap $$ upgrades, rather than loyal Premier members. But I don't do any domestic, so did not raise that issue personally. I hope this might speed up resolution of these and other issues.

I have to admire the way AA had met this overwhelming response. They put this offer together in lightening speed, were able to keep their call center wait times to a minimum (mostly 1-2 minutes for a GM to get thru to them, which is amazing), and were able to quickly staff up to deal with the avalanche of unhappy UA customers. One can only shake their head in dismay comparing this to how poorly UA has handled things lately. And worst of all, how UA has totally dropped the ball on communicating and responding. They are either frozen or just do not care.

5/5/12 Offer Update: There appear to be 2 offers:
  1. Original offer ran from 4/20/12 to 4/27/12. This offer had an email titled "Send UA Documentation". This offer was valid for all premier levels (see letter below). For 1K and GS, this offer also apparently (though never documented anywhere) provided 8 SWUs automatically without any other challenge. Quite a sweet offer, to be sure. Reports so far show all people who responded to the "Send UA Documentation" letter by April 27 or 28 get their 8 SWUs about 1-2 days after their match shows up in their accounts.
  2. A second offer started around 4/27/12 and had an email titled initially "Send Documentation" (without the UA in the title) and later "Earning Your Business". This offer was only for 1K and GS. Lower tiers were no longer matched. Also, it appears AA is now requiring a 30,000 mile challenge to get the SWUs. This second offer appears to still be open and valid. There are 1 or 2 reports of people returning the "Send Documentation" letter still getting 8 SWUs without the challenge.

Update on SWUs for EXPlats: First, let's be clear that AA never promised or even mentioned SWUs/eVIPs are part of this deal. People who applied early (apparently sometime at or before Friday 4/27) were pleasantly surprised to receive 8 SWUs deposited into our accounts about 1-2 days after the match. However, as of 5/4/12 evening, we are seeing people getting emails saying SWUs will only come after you fly 30,000 miles. Not clear yet what the cut-over time for this change was. Only speculation right now, but my guess is those who got the original "Send UA Documentation" got the automatic SWUs, and those who got the later "Earning your business" got the 30,000 challenge for SWUs. Some people got the "Send Documentation" (no UA) during the transition, and most were given the challenge. 1 or 2 report being given 8 SWUs.

6/6/12 Update: Easy Re-qualification Offer:
Just got this from AA, which provides easy requal for next year. AA is just amazing. Instant free match to Exec Plat, 8 immediate free SWUs, and now easy way to requal and get more SWUs next year. AAmazing!!
Dear xxxx

We hope you are enjoying the exclusive benefits of your AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status, including unlimited complimentary upgrades, access to Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seating, PriorityAAccessSM privileges, and more.

I'm delighted to tell you about a special offer to extend your AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for another year.

Earn 55,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 24, 2012, and December 31, 2012, and extend your AAdvantage Executive Platinum status through February 28, 2014.1
It is not necessary to register for this promotion. You have been pre-enrolled for this offer.

Plus, we know that staying connected while you travel is important, so I am pleased to let you know that we will offer Wi-Fi service on the majority of our domestic fleet by the end of summer, with more aircraft being added each month. For more information about Inflight Wi-Fi onboard American Airlines, please visit AA.com/wifi.

Sincerely,

Suzanne L. Rubin
President
AAdvantage® Loyalty Program

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Good to know... I'm giving UA a few months to clean up their act, as things have gotten a little bit better and I have 70K booked through the end of the year, getting me well past 1K for this year. Hopefully this sticks around for a few months.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just a status match right?

No evip for EXEPlat?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Surprised it took AA this long to do a status match campaign, all things considered.
Plenty of bad press around United's problems with system conversion.. perfect timing to pick up new business from frustrated frequent flyers.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by izzik
Surprised it took AA this long to do a status match campaign, all things considered.
Plenty of bad press around United's problems with system conversion.. perfect timing to pick up new business from frustrated frequent flyers.
Only if that business is profitable business. Picking up low-yield frequent fliers won't help them any. Picking up high-yield frequent fliers will.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Only if that business is profitable business. Picking up low-yield frequent fliers won't help them any. Picking up high-yield frequent fliers will.
Seeing that even GSes seem unhappy, I think this is probably a sound strategy.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by channa
Seeing that even GSes seem unhappy, I think this is probably a sound strategy.
The amount of profit they make from the high-yield matchers must outweigh the amount of money they lose from the low-yield matchers for this strategy to be considered effective, and no one on here has access to that data and the ability to publish it.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I question how many high-yield customers promotions like this attract.

This offer and the AA's almost perpetual elite qualifying miles bonuses seem like a race to the bottom.
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Maybe the dAArkside has been reading the UA forum and seeing how pi$$ed off GS members are post 3/3?

Wow, called and they thanked me 4 times! Thanks for post!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by artyam
Wow, called and they thanked me 4 times! Thanks for post!

Honestly, as an Aadvantage member with no real status, they were treating me better than UA GS has EVER treated me. They actually seemed to want my business!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
Your AAdvantage number and phone number
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is the status match restricted to existing AAdvantage members with a mileage balance? Can I sign up for AAdvantage now and then request a status match?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malgudi
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is the status match restricted to existing AAdvantage members with a mileage balance? Can I sign up for AAdvantage now and then request a status match?
Yes, I asked this exact question. They said you do need an AAdvantage account, but as soon as you have it, they will match you!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
I question how many high-yield customers promotions like this attract.

This offer and the AA's almost perpetual elite qualifying miles bonuses seem like a race to the bottom.
Yeah, I suppose two explanations are either 1) AA is losing a ton of frequent fliers and is desperate to keep/add people or 2) AA is desperate to attract new customers, and they'll worry about the consequences later (post from 3 months from now: "AA EXP -- 18th on Upgrade List ORD-LGA?!?!".
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by malgudi
I think you could just sign up for an AA number and then make the call. Its your on-going business they want.

They just need an AA number to link to the request. They were processing my request without any reference to past activity (or my 0 miles on AA thusfar this year while i was foolishly maxing UA in my annual 1K pursuit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.