Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 4:32 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I have never tried this option before.

I see the offer to purchase RDMs, I check the box and then I see the additional option to also purchase PQMs.

Does one get the same number of PQMs as the purchased RDMs when selecting the purchase PQM option?
Yes.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Am I looking in the wrong place? I click on buy extra miles (heading even discusses RDM and PQM in seperate points) then all I see is RDM's. What am i doing wrong???

GS BTW

ETA...never mind!

Have to click on add the RDM to add PQM...duh!

BTW, my offers sit at 11.4C on domestic/int.

At least you are at 11.4c, i'm 2.10 on RDM and 9.50 PQM, with all in of 11.6 on intentional leg...historically does the all in goes up or down as get closer to the flight date? Also which day of the week do people find new pricing gets released.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:45 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by jasonsun
...historically does the all in goes up or down as get closer to the flight date?
There is no evidence that closeness to departure date has any effect on price.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:12 pm

Then what's the trend when it drop til the lowest? My trip isn't til oct.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Unhappy Different Prices depending upon when they are purchased

I noticed that if I purchase the miles by going into my reservation and using the link I get a different price than by going to the CHECK-IN screen and buying the miles. Not even the same number of miles sometimes. I did the math and found that while it wasn't a full cent difference at times it did make a difference in the price. I wonder if this is by design?
Old May 10, 2013, 4:49 am

which one was cheaper?
Old May 10, 2013, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
I believe that it varied in a few cases but buying in the reservation was cheaper.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by TommyC80
You shouldn't include the value of the base miles, because you would be earning those anyway. Your ticket price should be considered a sunk cost and is irrelevant to this separate purchase.

You should be looking at the difference between your original earnings and the new earnings, which would be 67,912-20,896=47,016 miles

$3,135/47,016=$0.0667cpm.

Or you could forego Silver status (which many, including me find useless) and your cpm changes to:

$878/41,792=$0.021cpm. A much better value.....
I can understand that artificial separation of the two purchases for compliance with accounting practice but I see this situation more akin to dollar cost averaging.

I have paid for the flights and will [almost surely] get the miles for the flights as long as I fly them. Based on that purchase, I now have the chance to get more miles but at a cost. While it is true that one could calculate the cost of those miles as a separate purchase, that cost does not represent the totality of the linked transactions.

On the other hand if I purchased a ticket, then purchased miles and finally cancelled the ticket within 24 hours for a complete refund I can see that the total cost of purchase would be simply the cost of the purchased miles.

It is also true that I could forego silver status but I am trying to reach Gold status before the end of June 2013 as I have a very specific one-time use in mind for the perks of Star Alliance Gold status in late July or August. Otherwise, I would not even be thinking about buying EQMs.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Is the price for RDM's after ticketing 2.1 or can it be less/more

Hello, I see that United is selling miles at a 40% discount when you use the link I posted or view in Gary's blog. However I see Seth Miller says you can get miles for 2-2.1 cents using the maximizer.

I was wondering how Seth can get 2.0 cents. Reading this thread for the last half hour it seems that 2.1 cents is the typical price after purchase. Did I miss something?

I think I read this but forgot, if you want to just get the RDM's do people buy the refundable ticket or can all tickets be cancelled within 14 hours?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smilee
.... I was wondering how Seth can get 2.0 cents. Reading this thread for the last half hour it seems that 2.1 cents is the typical price after purchase. Did I miss something? ...
pricing has been dynamic -- depends on route, depends on customer, seems to change at times, .... so while 2.1 cpm is a common number for a routing with a partner, other values can happen --- and much higher is very common.

Originally Posted by smilee
.... I think I read this but forgot, if you want to just get the RDM's do people buy the refundable ticket or can all tickets be cancelled within 14 hours?
its 24 hours and either works fine -- the temp hit on the credit card line of credit is higher for the refundable. Some wish to avoid the worry about the 24 hour limit, others don't worry.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jasonsun
At least you are at 11.4c, i'm 2.10 on RDM and 9.50 PQM, with all in of 11.6 on intentional leg...historically does the all in goes up or down as get closer to the flight date? Also which day of the week do people find new pricing gets released.
For me the price now has dropped to 2.1 ct/RDM and 7.0 ct/PQM, after having been at 2.1 and 10 ct since January. Currently at 68.000 PQM.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by xandern
For me the price now has dropped to 2.1 ct/RDM and 7.0 ct/PQM, after having been at 2.1 and 10 ct since January. Currently at 68.000 PQM.
Buy!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RNE
Buy!
If he's already at 68k PQM's, there's a good chance he doesn't need them for 1K status. In that case, buying wouldn't make a lot of sense.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ps9a
If he's already at 68k PQM's, there's a good chance he doesn't need them for 1K status. In that case, buying wouldn't make a lot of sense.
... unless he got the 68k PQM mostly from Elite Maximizer purchases
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HJPlikestofly
... unless he got the 68k PQM mostly from Elite Maximizer purchases
Actually, I purchased 15k PQM at 10 cpm, to make sure I will end just over 100k this year (I mostly fly long trips and all my travel has been fixed for the rest of the year). Last year, I noticed that as my PQM went up, so did the price of Elite Maximizer PQM's. This year I decided to buy the missing miles as soon as I could reliably predict what my end of year total PQM would be. I now just checked out of curiosity what the current price is, to find out that I could have saved some money by waiting. However, I still consider paying 1500 USD for 1K a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.