Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It doesn't sound good for CLE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Please United. Just give me one TATL flight. LHR/FRA/CDG ..... I don't care. But just give me one.
If they thought it would make money, they probably would.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
A.net is saying CLE is gaining a new route to PWM... not all bad news
CLE-PWM will restart in May. It has been operated seasonally for several summers.

For CLE-Europe, Lufthansa is unlikely, unless UA forcefed the flight. LH's smallest capable plane is an A330-300, way to big for the route. CLE's only hope is for UA to discover a 763 they don't know what to do with.

Or ... if CLE offered a guarantee (as PIT initially gave DL), I wonder if they could get AA to fly CLE-LHR with a 757. (AA does BOS-LHR with a 757.) If you add in all the alliance connections possible in LHR, it might work.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RobS
Or ... if CLE offered a guarantee (as PIT initially gave DL), I wonder if they could get AA to fly CLE-LHR with a 757. (AA does BOS-LHR with a 757.) If you add in all the alliance connections possible in LHR, it might work.
There's not enough O/D pax to support a 757 without a good amount of connecting passengers which AA won't have. Let alone enough O/D traffic that isn't loyal to UA.

Anyway why would CLE want to pick a fight with UA by subsidizing service on another airline?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
There's not enough O/D pax to support a 757 without a good amount of connecting passengers which AA won't have. Let alone enough O/D traffic that isn't loyal to UA.

Anyway why would CLE want to pick a fight with UA by subsidizing service on another airline?
Indeed.....I really don't think AA is in the cards with regard to a possible TATL route from CLE.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Look what that got Houston...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I doubt UA is going to do anything dramatic with CLE at this point, either way.

they're generally holding capacity constant systemwide or reducing a bit. The local economy is relatively strong these days, both historically and relative to the country as a whole.

Its in UA's interest to have a hub as long as its profitable on a marginal basis. Despite the constant flak that CLE gets, the fact of the matter is that if you look at the metrics that determine whether a hub is profitable or not, CLE has one of the highest percentages of O/D traffic in the system (far higher than IAH), the yield out of CLE is also higher, however that's due in large part to the high % of shorthaul RJ flights. What CLE doesn't seem to support are intercontinental flights, which require by definition, a large gauge aircraft and steady front-cabin demand, its much easier and lower risk for them to schelp passengers to EWR/ORD, where they have a wide selection of EU destinations rather than picking LHR or FRA and trying to fill it on a mostly-O/D basis.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paule123
I know there's a Subway sandwich counter outside security, in front of the United ticket counters. I can't remember if there's also a Dunkin Donuts counter next to it, or if the Subway replaced the Dunkin Donuts.
There's a Subway and a Hudson News Euro Café landside according to http://www.clevelandairport.com/Airp...iday-2012.aspx .

I somehow didn't notice that they got rid of the landside Dunkin Donuts. I guess I was just too excited to see that there's no more "NO HOT FOOD PAST SECURITY" sign as you exit the secure airside area. (The Subway was OK, but the sandwich artist seemed kind of unhappy to be there.)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA1K
i guess what i can do is grab the sbux when i land and take it outside security. did not really think about that.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
As long as they keep the redeye from SFO...
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
To answer the question Why do you need CLE, well as the NY Times story reports United has the worst operational record, getting rid of CLE will not help this, it will make this worse. Airlines need multiple hubs in order to maintain good operations.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I remember that, although I was a freshman in high school at the time.

If I recall, there was widebody UA service between ORD and CLE on a DC-10 and (for short time) a 767-300 up until 2000ish.
It was actually most of the 1990s they had a DC-10. I checked my flight memory. Last UA DC-10[-30] I have was 1999 on ORD-CLE and they used to serve a sandwich in F The 5pm DC-10 CLE-ORD was almost always full and man could those UA CLE folks turn that thing. Most of the 1990s there were multiple DC-10s daily + 727s on ORD-CLE. In general, UA used the DC-10 on short turns from chicago (DET, CLE, YYZ, PIT) in order to get them to/from the west coast and keep them full and making money. I remember being sad when they retired them and they did run a 767 for awhile afterward on ORD-CLE. After 9/11 it was mostly 737s (until retired); Airbus or 757s. Of course now-hub-to-hub- it's almost entirely not even mainline.

Haven't gone to CLE in a long time, but if they are going to run wide-bodies there; hopefully they kept the great UA ground crew, as those folks could hustle with a smile...some of the best in the pmUA system!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:08 am
RNE

UA is Raiding CLE

I have to go on a daytrip from CLE to MSN in late January. UA has a nonstop I'd like to take but the fare is $1,263. (Same price for itineraries that connect.)

DL out of CAK is $293. It connects at DTW, but it's nearly $1000 less!

RNE, suggesting you Clevelanders should care more about that than I do.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by RNE
I have to go on a daytrip from CLE to MSN in late January. UA has a nonstop I'd like to take but the fare is $1,263. (Same price for itineraries that connect.)

fares CLE-LAS, CLE-PHX & CLE-LAX are about as low as I have seen them in 3 years. It's only flights with connections... NS flights are still very expensive.

BTW... I have been unhappy with fares from CLE over the past 2-3 years... I've made a majority of my trips from PIT, CMH, and CAK.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RNE

Yes, airlines that can't compete with a nonstop have to offer much cheaper fares for one stops. This is true in a broad variety of markets.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
fares CLE-LAS, CLE-PHX & CLE-LAX are about as low as I have seen them in 3 years. It's only flights with connections... NS flights are still very expensive.

BTW... I have been unhappy with fares from CLE over the past 2-3 years... I've made a majority of my trips from PIT, CMH, and CAK.
Good example my ticket CLE-LAX for $183 in January. That is the lowest fare I have seen in ages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.