Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captain's Info Talk-Channel 9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Captain's Info Talk-Channel 9

Wow! Having flown over 973,000 miles on United, I'd experienced a first for me. On 27 May 09 flight (UA #37 MCO/SFO), once we were airborne the Captain was on the P/A greeting everyone aboard his flight. He also welcomed everyone to listen on Channel 9 at the top of the hour as he would give an informational briefing about the flight and the plane, a 757. Nevering hearing this before, I had to listen, and I glad I did!

The Captain was great! He had to talk about 20 minutes on Channel 9 about the crew, plane, routing and aviation. His information was presented in a very professional manner for even an experienced flyer. I made sure I paid attention about fuel comsumption rate. Good knowledge for those Hawaii mid flight weight contest!

I wrote a note to the Captain thanking him for an most enjoyable and memorable experience. Like an idiot, I forgot to write down his name! In the meantime, I'll be sending in one of the 1K 'compliment' forms. I have several MCO/LAX legs next week and hoping to be on his flight again!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
What do you think, folks? Sounds like a Denny Flanagan experience to me.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yep. Sounds like Captain Denny.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
it could also be captain goodfellow as from what the op describes, it sounds just like what i had over here
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Actually, I would hate this. I listen to Channel 9 for ATC, not for a lecture.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Some people will never be pleased
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by northsideguy
... The Captain was great! He had to talk about 20 minutes on Channel 9 about the crew, plane, routing and aviation. His information was presented in a very professional manner for even an experienced flyer. I made sure I paid attention about fuel comsumption rate. Good knowledge for those Hawaii mid flight weight contest!
From OP's description I was on one of his flights last month, during which he gave a similar presentation about the plane, flying, and aviation in general. He also cracked a few jokes and I thought his delivery was pretty good. This guy is definitely not Capt. Denny Flanagan though. I wonder how many UA pilots are out there doing similar things.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't know about you, but I do not listen to Channel 9 during cruise.

I'm only 100% tuned in during taxi, take off and the last 45 minutes of the flight (pre descent, etc.). During cruise, Channel 9 is pretty boring (IMO) and the perfect opportunity for pilots to give a brief educational lesson. I don't mind it at all.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:47 pm

I had a similar experience on DCA-DEN a few weeks back (5/3). Halfway through the flight the captain broke it up into 3 parts, the first was where we were and some sites, and 2 and 3 were about our flight and flying in general. Was about 20 minutes, really interesting (to me, not to my flying partner, she found it boring as hell and turned it off).
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I don't know about you, but I do not listen to Channel 9 during cruise.

I'm only 100% tuned in during taxi, take off and the last 45 minutes of the flight (pre descent, etc.). During cruise, Channel 9 is pretty boring (IMO) and the perfect opportunity for pilots to give a brief educational lesson. I don't mind it at all.
I am the same way. I would welcome the opportunity to learn some interesting nuggets about the aircraft/operations, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:31 pm

There's a good solution to spare yourself the agony. Don't listen.

I recently experienced a Captain Flan doppelganger, John McFadden, an an A320, of whom much has also been written on this forum. If you're on one of the smaller French birds, and hear a fantastic lecture, plus Q and A session (!), it may just be him. What a guy.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
I was on the SFO-MCO flight the day before (5/26) and had the same presentation on Ch. 9, leading off with an explanation of the crop circles in the Southern Utah fields below (something to do with irrigation). It was the same captain as on the OP's flight, as he mentioned that they would be overnighting in MCO and returning to SFO the next day.

His spiel was certainly more entertaining than watching Marley & Me onboard for the 5th time (I've still never stayed awake the end)!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stivstiv
His spiel was certainly more entertaining than watching Marley & Me onboard for the 5th time (I've still never stayed awake the end)!
And, therefore, I suspect more interesting than listening to the 60th flight being handed over to Albuquerque Center
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:43 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Do you also pretend your flying the plane when you listen to ATC?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, various worthless hotel status levels
Originally Posted by sfo
Do you also pretend your flying the plane when you listen to ATC?
You can only pretend to change frequencies en-route, not actually fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.