Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Arrivals Lounge - Teased and Denied

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Angry SFO Arrivals Lounge - Teased and Denied

Traveling business class with my wife on back-to-back red-eyes from Maui, connecting through SFO, and on to Paris. Upon receiving our boarding passes in Maui, we were each presented "Arrivals Suite" coupons. I have stopped into many Red Carpet Clubs, but have never used an Arrivals Lounge/Suite before. Here is what the coupon states:

"WITH YOUR INTERNATIONAL UNITED FIRST OR FULL-FARE INTERNATIONAL UNITED BUSINESS EXPERIENCE WE INVITE YOU TO START YOUR DAY REFRESHED WITH UNITED ARRIVALS SUITE. SIMPLY PRESENT YOUR BOARDING PASS TO ENJOY A SHOWER AND BREAKFAST SNACK AT CHICAGO O HARE/FRANKFURT/LONDON-HEATHROW/MIAMI/PARIS-CHARLES-DE-GAULLE/SAN FRANCISCO OR SAO PAULO."

When we arrived at the Domestic terminal in SFO at 7:00 am, we inquired at the Red Carpet club about the Arrivals Suite coupon, was told of the benefits and that we could proceed to the International Terminal to enjoy the Lounge before our 2:45 pm connection to Paris. After exiting and re-entering security at the International terminal, I inquired at the "United First Lounge" as to where exactly the "Arrivals Lounge" was. After examining my boarding pass, the attendant explained that the Lounge was in fact *between* the Domestic and International terminals, outside security. He then remarked that we had a long day ahead of us, and insisted that we go back out of the secure area to take advantage of the "fabulous" Arrivals Lounge there.

Armed with the advice of two Red Carpet Club Attendants, and coupons that seemed to clearly state that we were about to enjoy a nice breakfast and place to clean up before our long flight to Paris, we exited security again and proceeded to the lounge only to be flatly denied entry. We were told that our coupon "clearly states" that the arrivals lounge is for "arrivals" only. Contrary to my interpretation of the english language, we never "arrived" in SFO since this was a layover. No matter that San Francisco was clearly listed on the coupon, and we had been directed to the lounge by two United employees, we would only be admitted to the lounge in Paris (which is really of no use to us).

After re-reading the text on the coupon, I still cannot see how anyone would consider it "clear" that it was not intended to provide access for our long layover in SFO. I don't see how "Invite you to start your day" somehow refers to arriving in Paris at 10am one day, but not arriving (even if in transit) in SFO at 7am the day before.

In the end, a saving grace for United in all of this was the attendent at the United First lounge (one of two United employees who interpreted the coupon as I believe any normal english-literate person would). He was appauled at the Arrivals Lounge denial (regardless of what the written rule may be here) and invited us to his Lounge to wait for our flight (rather than us staying in the less posh Red Carpet Club). He may have been bending the rules a bit, but in the mind of this "1K-Lite" traveler kept some resemblance of humanity and responsibility on the face of United's lounge services.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the invitation that you received was in fact meant to be used upon your arrival at CDG?

The arrival facility at SFO is meant for international arrivals, rather than domestic arrival from Hawaii. But this is just my interpretation.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:43 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
It's always been the case that the arrivals voucher is valid at the arrivals destination. In destinations where UA does not have an arrivals lounge the value of the voucher is about $21, $5 for breakfast and $16 for a shower. However, I can't see any good reason why you were turned away, since they would take the vouchers at from you at SFO, preventing you from using them at CDG. You weren't trying to get a double-benefit. IMHO the staff should have allowed you a "one-time exception" since you had such a long layover.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cert. does seem misleading but I think the arrivals lounge guy was correct that it was supposed to be for Paris not SFO.

I think you got a better deal anyhow. The UA F lounge at SFO is one of the best around...way better than the dingy arrivals lounge. Did you take advantage of the showers in the F lounge? The lounge has great food and Anchor Steam which puts it miles ahead of any lounge in the UA system for me!! I hope you enjoyed it!
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:49 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
United Marketing people might have intended that the passenger were to use the Arrivals Facility AFTER the international leg, but because that was not what was wrote on the invitation, the passenger should be welcomed at any Arrival Facility he might go through on his "INTERNATIONAL UNITED FIRST OR FULL-FARE INTERNATIONAL UNITED BUSINESS EXPERIENCE", per the terms of the invitation. Apparently this passenger opted for the Arrivals Service at SFO, he could have preferred to use the ORD facility, should the time and route allow. The invitation is to be collected upon using the service.

I find it very rude the way SFO Arrivals dealed with this passenger. I'd send an e-mail to UA Customer Service because of
a) poor service at SFO arrivals service
b) top-notch service from the person at F UA Intl Lounge that did try to improve this passenger experience. This agent is clearly customer-focused and that's the kind of person any company needs nowadays.

Positive comments from UA staff are welcomed by the employee and shared with their management.

Choose whatever way you feel apropriate.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
I am doing the long way from MNL to GUM to HNL then SFO in Business Class. Would I be able to get an invitation and use the Arrivals Lounge in SFO?
Your question has been moved to a more current thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2010-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.