Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer USAirways Dividend Miles to MP?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
Transfer USAirways Dividend Miles to MP?

If I accrue miles on USAirways in their Dividend Miles program, can I later transfer those miles to United MP?

I noticed on their website that I can earn miles on both Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin Atlantic using a USAirways account. If I do that, I'd like to transfer those miles to MP (but only if they count for EQM).

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don't believe there is a way to transfer miles from US to UA.

In general, this website has a tool that lets you figure out possible transfer scenarios:

http://webflyer.com/
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't believe there is a way to transfer miles from US to UA.
I would go one step further and say there is no way to transfer miles from US to anywhere.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would go one step further and say there is no way to transfer miles from US to anywhere.
That's quite possible (based on the fact that US doesn't appear in the "source" list of webflyer's transfer tool). And certainly you'd not get EQM by transferring miles from anywhere into UA MP.

Maybe the OP should consider collecting the miles in US and then redeeming for UA or other *A awards.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
Thanks. That's what I thought.

The reason I asked is because I'd like to try Virgin's transatlantic service and Hawaiians' Mainland-Hawaii routes sometime but I really hate to fly without earning EQM miles for status.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
At least as of last year, that is (was) not true. I was able to transfer a few hundred orphaned US miles through points.com (to AA).
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National, Hertz
Thread revival

I primarily use United as my primary business travel provider. Sometimes I use US Airways.

UA's sites states:

"To become an elite member, you’ll need to earn a certain number of elite status miles (EQM) or elite status segments (EQS) between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 of each year. It’s simple to earn—just fly with United, United Express, Continental, Continental Express, Continental Micronesia, Continental Connection or our Star Alliance airline partners. Fly more and earn higher levels of status."

UA and USA are Star Alliance partners. There should be a way to transfer USA Dividend Miles to UA Mileage Plus, right?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by d_striker
I primarily use United as my primary business travel provider. Sometimes I use US Airways.

UA's sites states:

"To become an elite member, you’ll need to earn a certain number of elite status miles (EQM) or elite status segments (EQS) between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 of each year. It’s simple to earn—just fly with United, United Express, Continental, Continental Express, Continental Micronesia, Continental Connection or our Star Alliance airline partners. Fly more and earn higher levels of status."

UA and USA are Star Alliance partners. There should be a way to transfer USA Dividend Miles to UA Mileage Plus, right?
Negative
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Negative
So how do you apply miles obtained on a Star Alliance partner toward United EQM/EQS as stated?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by d_striker
So how do you apply miles obtained on a Star Alliance partner toward United EQM/EQS as stated?
By putting your UA MP number in the frequent flyer number field either at time of booking, or when viewing your reservation/itinerary after booking.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by eeebee
By putting your UA MP number in the frequent flyer number field either at time of booking, or when viewing your reservation/itinerary after booking.
This was what I was looking for. So simple. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you fly US, you can earn UA miles. Once you earn miles in US's program however, they can't be transferred.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Mileage Plus
Star Alliance combination

Can you use miles from BOTH airlines when you purchase, or do you have to choose one or the other?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fillerlady
Can you use miles from BOTH airlines when you purchase, or do you have to choose one or the other?
short answer - no

When purchasing from UA, only MP miles can be used. (likewise when purchase at another airline, only their miles can be used and MP miles can not be used)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:43 am

d_striker, just to clarify, this only works with United's partners such as USAirways. It doesn't work with USAirways partners such as Hawaiian or Virgin Atlantic. If you fly with a United partner you can credit your miles to MP. In most cases such as with US, you'll earn EQMs. But you should always check the United website before booking with a partner you're not sure about, so you're not surprised by the credit you receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.