Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

DOT Fines United for Failure to Disclose Code-Sharing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today assessed a civil penalty against United Airlines for failing to disclose to consumers when flights sold by the carrier were being operated under a code-sharing arrangement.

When consumers buy an airline ticket, they have a right to know which airline will be operating their flight, said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. We will continue to ensure that carriers are complying with the code-sharing rules.

United was ordered to cease and desist from further violations and assessed a civil penalty of $80,000.

Under code-sharing, a carrier will sell tickets on flights that use its designator code but are operated by a separate airline. DOT rules require airlines to disclose to consumers, before they book a flight, if the flight is operated under a code-sharing arrangement. The disclosure must include the corporate name of the transporting carrier and any other name under which the flight is offered to the public.

The Departments Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings made a number of telephone calls to Uniteds reservations line this past January to determine if the carriers employees were advising consumers of code-sharing arrangements as required by the regulations. The Enforcement Office found that Uniteds reservations agents failed to disclose code-sharing during a substantial number of those calls.

The consent order is available on the Internet at www.regulations.gov, docket DOT-OST-2009-0001.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by hw248i
United was ordered to cease and desist from further violations and assessed a civil penalty of $80,000.
Wonder what new fee they'll come along with to raise the cash for that.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hw248i
The Departments Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings made a number of telephone calls to Uniteds reservations line this past January to determine if the carriers employees were advising consumers of code-sharing arrangements as required by the regulations. The Enforcement Office found that Uniteds reservations agents failed to disclose code-sharing during a substantial number of those calls.
Sounds like some heads are going to roll in India tonight.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA1P/SPG
nice find...there are two times that i can remember booking last minute tickets and being put on codeshares. the worst part is that i got middle seats both times it happened. boo!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:58 pm

Quite frankly I'm sorta surprised by this. When booking online it is very easy to see. And when a person reaches the ICC (presumably where the non-status enforcement office reached) they typically read back every boring detail of the itinerary at least once during the call.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tom911
The new codesharing fee of course!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I have a flight right now on Skywest and it says nothing about it being on Skywest (seems like an online glitch).
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
So, what DOT is saying is that travelers who flew a UA codeshare flight during the DEQM/TEQM period should get the extra EQM for codeshare flights. :-)
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by murphyUA
I have a flight right now on Skywest and it says nothing about it being on Skywest (seems like an online glitch).
Is there a difference between contract flying a la regional carrier and a "codeshare" under the DOT regs?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:36 pm
axl

Originally Posted by LessO2
Sounds like some heads are going to roll in India tonight.
LOL!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrislacey
Quite frankly I'm sorta surprised by this. When booking online it is very easy to see. And when a person reaches the ICC (presumably where the non-status enforcement office reached) they typically read back every boring detail of the itinerary at least once during the call.
Right, but if all they read back is "and from blah-blah to blah-blah you're on United 8532," only someone who knows the deal would realize that's a codeshare. Unless the ICC CSR adds "operated by..."
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the rule needs to be changed.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by why fly
the rule needs to be changed.
Which rule, exactly?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:52 pm

I wonder which routes ere they not disclosing.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I wonder if this will wipe out the savings of outsourcing call centers to India. Would serve them right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.