Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I've been able to use a voucher for the entire cost of a ticket and receive the residual balance on a new voucher.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A standard phrase in the travel credit T&Cs are
The discount applies only to the base fare, and not to any taxes, fees or surcharges, including, but not limited to Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs), departure and arrival taxes and carrier-imposed surcharges.
It seems like that those are the terms for those discount ecerts, not type B vouchers, right?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
It seems like that those are the terms for those discount ecerts, not type B vouchers, right?
correct
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
So, I had Type B travel credits from a VDB.. so they would be applicable to just the base fare then the passenger pays taxes/fees, or the voucher can apply to the full price including taxes/fees?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by JeffISU
So, I had Type B travel credits from a VDB.. so they would be applicable to just the base fare then the passenger pays taxes/fees, or the voucher can apply to the full price including taxes/fees?
Valid for the entire ticket, including taxes and fees.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Valid for the entire ticket, including taxes and fees.
Hmmm... just ticketed today will call UA and see if they can do anything... will post back with response.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
correct
Then those aren't travel credits, WineCountryUA. Travel credits are, by definition, the vouchers received for VDB. e-certs are merely discount certificates; they are not travel credits. This is an important distinction because they operate very differently. While e-certs and Type A paper vouchers are applicable towards the base fare only, Type B vouchers (which include VDB travel credits, refare travel vouchers, and others) are applicable towards the entire bottom line.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cepheid
Then those aren't travel credits, ...
thanks for the correction
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:38 pm

using VDB vouchers/travel credits for friend and infant

Hello. I have some travel credits and vouchers (all type B, I believe, from VDBs) and am thinking of giving one to a friend so she can visit me. She would be traveling with an infant under 2.

Are there any restrictions on the travel credits or vouchers regarding lap infants? Can I use the vouchers/credits to purchase a ticket for her, and then call and have the lap infant added to the reservation?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by marissav
Can I use the vouchers/credits to purchase a ticket for her, and then call and have the lap infant added to the reservation?
Yes; the $-off or %-off vouchers are just like coupons... they don't affect the reservation in any way except to modify the price. All of the usual rules re: upgrades, infants, pets, cancellations, changes, etc. apply as if you had bought the ticket without the voucher.

If you had a "free ticket" voucher, there would be differences in terms of upgrades, changes, and cancellations, but infants/pets still work the same way. So, bottom line, you shouldn't have any problems with a lap infant no matter what voucher you use.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
As the previous poster said, lap infants travel fine on the Type B DBCFREE vouchers (aka "free ticket" voucher). Baby Flavorflav, now 21mo, has flown a number of times on such vouchers. No problems.

I've never booked DBCFREE travel for anyone outside my family, so I'll leave the mechanics of booking for a friend and the friend's child to another poster.

Slightly OT, but remind your friend to carry a birth certificate during travel to prove the child's under-age-two status. There are many horror stories -- usually from WN, not UA -- of not having proof of an infant's age and having to consequently pay a walk-up fare.

If you had a "free ticket" voucher, there would be differences in terms of upgrades, changes, and cancellations, but infants/pets still work the same way. So, bottom line, you shouldn't have any problems with a lap infant no matter what voucher you use.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:58 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by pinniped
One other oddball thing about residual vouchers: the residual amount is listed in the name of whomever was listed on the most recent ticket issued.
It's not an oddball thing, it's a consequence of the voucher endorsement. By using a voucher to redeem a ticket in another person's name, the entire voucher is endorsed over to that person. When a new voucher is issued for the residual value, it is issued to the voucher holder... which is the ticket holder, because the previous voucher was endorsed over to him/her.
Here's a possible workaround for the residual voucher situation mentioned in the Other Credit Cards Forum from the soap opera that is ThankYou points...

Originally Posted by pinniped
...He's confusing the fact that you need to be the one redeeming the voucher with the name on the ticket paid for by the voucher.

In other words, on UA, you have your nonrefundable $1800 or $2700 ticket in hand with you as the traveler. You must cancel it by midnight the day of travel. You do not need to rebook a flight at that time. Just call UA and cancel it. Note your ticket number - not just the PNR. (Note the long number beginning with 016 or whatever...)

The first ticket you switch to must have you as the traveler.
The residual voucher you get will have your name on it. This is also where UA collects its change fee. To answer zlc's question, you could buy full Y at this point but it still won't get you around the change fee hit you'll take on the original nonrefundable ticket.

You must use the residual voucher - you cannot just give it away.
The second ticket you buy (using the voucher) can be for travel for anyone.

The residual voucher you get after that should have the traveler's name on it and text on the voucher stating "ALSO VALID FOR <YOU>."

Repeat until voucher is exhausted. At any given point in time, the residual voucher can be taken to the airport by either you or by the last person for whom you ticketed from the voucher.

If you are at the airport, look on the voucher for that "ALSO VALID FOR <YOU>" line item. If it's not put there automatically, they definitely can print it with that on there.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:09 am

What happens when I refund a ticket paid in part with Type B vouchers?

I bought a $450 full-fare (fully refundable) F ticket for my wife using 4 x $50 Type B travel credits (issued in a friend's name and given to us) and $250 on my credit card. I ticketed at an airport ticket location in person.

Our plans have suddenly changed and I need to refund the ticket. I'm pretty sure I'll get the $250 back on my credit card, but what about the $200 in Type B vouchers that were used? Will they me issued in my name, my wife's name, or my friend's name?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nigelloring
I bought a $450 full-fare (fully refundable) F ticket for my wife using 4 x $50 Type B travel credits (issued in a friend's name and given to us) and $250 on my credit card. I ticketed at an airport ticket location in person.

Our plans have suddenly changed and I need to refund the ticket. I'm pretty sure I'll get the $250 back on my credit card, but what about the $200 in Type B vouchers that were used? Will they me issued in my name, my wife's name, or my friend's name?
Just called 1K desk, who said that the whole $450 would be refunded to my credit card

Confirmation email says:

Refund due: 450.40-USD
Less service charge: 0.00 USD
Total refund due: 450.40 USD 450.40-USD
Credit will be applied to the original form(s) of payment and will take 30 to 60 days depending on your billing cycle. Total refund subject to audit.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by nigelloring
Just called 1K desk, who said that the whole $450 would be refunded to my credit card

Confirmation email says:
That's pretty amazing. I was always under the impression that you would lose the credit value (unless it was already a refund check).

I mean, couldn't I just get $400 in a B certificate, buy a fully refundable tkt, cancel, and then get the entire amount back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.