Meal code

Old May 22, 2009, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Meal code

I was on flight 184 (sfo-phl) today and the FA in first told me that you can order your special meal by code. He described specific choices not just categories. He seems to think there are about 40 choices. Was he putting me on?
Old May 22, 2009, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not sure about 40 but there are many
United.com > Services & information > In-flight services > Meal and beverage service > Special meals
Old May 22, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not sure about 40 but there are many
United.com > Services & information > In-flight services > Meal and beverage service > Special meals
He was talking about a variety of meals within each category each having a different code.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:26 pm

Just a guess here...

I'd suspect there may well be "codes" for diffrent menu choices within the Special Meal categories.....

..but that the codes are for UA's catering system to use in ordering.. NOT for pax to make more specific choices...

As I said.. just a guess!
Old May 22, 2009, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There are definitely codes for meals, though I agree that its for internal UA use with the caterers. You should be able to order by type of meal. As for a code example, I know a kosher meal is KSML. Also, I know that this specific code is the same used across at least a couple of other airlines, so I wonder if this is standardized by the caterers and/or airlines?
Old May 23, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I imagine the different codes would refer to different meal types such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack for each type of special meal. So if there are 10 special meal options, there could be 40 codes. Also different codes for F/C meals and Y meals.
Old May 23, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS 3MM
Special Meal Codes

Originally Posted by trooper
Just a guess here...

I'd suspect there may well be "codes" for diffrent menu choices within the Special Meal categories.....

..but that the codes are for UA's catering system to use in ordering.. NOT for pax to make more specific choices...

As I said.. just a guess!

I request a gluten-free meal when I can, which is not a common request, and some of the CSR haven't encountered it.

I usually request it as "gluten-free GFML", since, at least in the past, it was entered as "GFML", and this made it easier for the CSR. Meal codes, such as GFML, are used across airlines.

--Bob
Old May 23, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Originally Posted by SGJazz
I was on flight 184 (sfo-phl) today and the FA in first told me that you can order your special meal by code. He described specific choices not just categories. He seems to think there are about 40 choices. Was he putting me on?
SGJazz, I think by code me meant the 4 letter code that all airline reservation systems use for certain meals. VGML=vegetarian meal, MOML=moslem meal, etc. The 4 letter code is the same regardless of the level of service, the offerings are adjusted to match your scheduled meal on that flight.
Old May 23, 2009, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyGal
SGJazz, I think by code me meant the 4 letter code that all airline reservation systems use for certain meals. VGML=vegetarian meal, MOML=moslem meal, etc. The 4 letter code is the same regardless of the level of service, the offerings are adjusted to match your scheduled meal on that flight.
I'm familiar with those codes. He grabbed a meal and showed me a different code. Also, he was telling me about a customer that collected a list of these codes and orders specific meals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.