Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Downdog
Lufthansa TLS-KIX on 11/1. Return on either 11/30 or 12/1. Flexible dates. ANA site was showing these dates/ flights are available.
That is almost certainly *Net blocking. United is so dishonest.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:36 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It seems the CO website may be emplying UA's ol' StarNet blocking trick.

I'm seeing BKK-ZRH on TG C not available on CO but available on NH's tool. Same story with a FRA-ZRH LX flight. Travel in December/January.
Funny you mention LX flights. I just tried to book an LAX-ZRH flight with my OnePass account. ExpertFlyer showed I5 but the CO Plat desk agent couldn't "see it".

Sound familiar?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:46 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
Funny you mention LX flights. I just tried to book an LAX-ZRH flight with my OnePass account. ExpertFlyer showed I5 but the CO Plat desk agent couldn't "see it".

Sound familiar?
If I am not mistaken - isn't expertflyer inventory from the miles and more(LH) view? This has much greater availability than *A awards. I would say check the availability on the Aeroplan website before concluding CO/UA are blocking.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:47 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by nyc6035
If I am not mistaken - isn't expertflyer inventory from the miles and more(LH) view? This has much greater availability than *A awards. I would say check the availability on the Aeroplan website before concluding CO/UA are blocking.
You are correct. Just learned this from posting the issue in the UA forum. Always good to learn something new!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP

Sound familiar?
Did you check the same dates on the ANA tool?

As mentioned by nyc above, this is a Miles & More availability versus Star availability question. I actually just posted a question related to this a few threads down. Tons of openings in all classes if you try to book LX a few days out, but it appears to be for M&M only.

I'm wondering if LX ever opens inventory to Star partners anymore? If they have 5 seats in F open two days before the flight and LX still isn't making them available to non M&M account holders, it seems like they would just prefer them to go out empty.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Sound familiar?
Yet another wonderful enhancement brought the CO side, courtesy of M+.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Yet another wonderful enhancement brought the CO side, courtesy of M+.
It's not StarNet blocking.

Originally Posted by nyc6035
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
It's not StarNet blocking.
Still, it's almost certain it will be brought over
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
based on what do you state that???
based on recent UA experience??
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:33 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
No.

When Continental joined Star Alliance Scott O’Leary went on the Upgrd Podcast for an interview in which he stated that Continental doesn’t believe in award seat blocking, and promising that they would roll out an award chart which was ‘realistic’ enough to allow them not to block award inventory.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ill-dont-know/
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
based on what do you state that???
based on recent UA experience??

It's just my opinion, I shouldn't have said certainly, but it's the kind of thing $misek would do.

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
How does something Kellner said apply to $misek? Kellner said B.O.B was bad...and yet what does CO have now?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
TG

Went to change an award today and was looking to get a set of TG flights from SIN to PEK via BKK. ANA showed the inventory, so I called United. The agent couldn't see them. Went over to co.com and sure enough, there are the flights. Asked the agent and she said United had used up "its allotment" from TG.

Haven't tried calling back yet, but hard to see how it's going to help in this case. Frustrating.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by FBKSan
Went to change an award today and was looking to get a set of TG flights from SIN to PEK via BKK. ANA showed the inventory, so I called United. The agent couldn't see them. Went over to co.com and sure enough, there are the flights. Asked the agent and she said United had used up "its allotment" from TG.

Haven't tried calling back yet, but hard to see how it's going to help in this case. Frustrating.
Probably just an incompetent or lazy agent. You'll probably have better luck if you call back.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

I posted of having problems getting a TG flight on a particular day in May. All TG intra-Asia flights were blocked.

Experienced the same thing on July 18.

Everything on July 17 and July 19 followed ANA/AC availability. Everything on July 18 was not being seen by UA agents.

Seems TG is the main (random) target for blocking these days.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

You've linked your 1pass and M+ accounts right? So transfer the required miles from your M+ account to your 1pass account and then you can book those TG flights via 1pass.@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.