Wiki Posts
Search

Expiring miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 1998, 7:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Expiring miles

I have around 16,000 miles that will expire at the end of this year. Other than adding unexpiring miles to get an award flight, or to receive an upgrade, do I have other options? For example, is it possible to use those miles this year to book a flight that will not occur until 1999?
Old Jun 2, 1998, 8:37 pm
Original Member

I believe United accepts reservations 11 months into the future, so right now you could book flights through May 1999. If you wanted to fly in 10/99, then you would have to wait to book until 11/98. Thus only if you wanted to fly in 12/99 would your method not work. Just remember that if you have to change the reservation later, they will charge you the usual change fee, the same as if it was a paid reservation. Also be prepared for flight numbers and times to change, sometimes rather dramatically. If the flights require connections that are later impossible, then the airline must accommodate you. I once booked ahead like this and the connection was changed to depart 30 minutes before my arrival at the hub. There were no more United flights that day, so they had to book me on Continental to complete my travel. They did this at no charge (as I would have expected).
Old Jun 3, 1998, 12:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I *think* you can transfer your unused United points to Hilton HHonors (or other hotel programs?). Then you can use the HHonors points for travel or for hotel stays. I *think* you can even transfer the hhonors points back into united points at a later date. I have never done this myself, but have a freind who travels less frequently and claims that this is an effective way to avoid losing United (and American) points after 3 years...
Old Jun 3, 1998, 3:08 pm
pgupta011

You can transfer from United to Hilton and back but you would lose a lot in the process, certainly not what I would call effective. Convert United miles to Hilton if the only other alternative is forfeiting the miles.
15K United miles will get you 30K Hilton points. Better yet, try to rack up 9k miles in United flights or partner activity (MCI, United Visa, Diners Club card, dining, car, hotel, etc) and use your miles in December to book a flight for 1999.

Old Jun 3, 1998, 8:12 pm
Original Member

I do believe there is one more option. Double check with United but I think I've got it right. You can redeem for a "coupon" (5,000 miles per) that will expire in 1 year. So now you have your coupons plus whatever miles you earn next year to redeem at the end of 99 for an award to use for travel that ends in 2000. Does that make sense. Like I said double check with the FF program (not the reservations dept).
Old Jun 5, 1998, 8:44 pm
Original Member

I've heard that United sends out an offer near the expiration date allowing members to redeem expiring miles for magazine subscriptions and free car rental days. Can anyone confirm that? Of course magazines and a day or two of free car rental aren't nearly as much fun as a free flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.