Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by hooterbif
I have chosen non-dairy vegetarian in my profile (I am vegan). When I do get the special meals, I am normally very impressed. I found out the hard way that you have to call to order the meals.

I still don't know if I would get the meal if I was upgraded only at the gate. I can't imagine that they could figure out to load a special meal on such short notice. Maybe I need to mention it at the gate when the upgrade is awarded?
You will NOT get the special meal if upgraded at the gate, even if you tell the GA. That requires 24+ hour notice per their guidelines. If it was an international flight where you were getting fed in coach and got upgraded at the last minute, your special coach meal (if requested) would be available to you in C if you wanted it.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
no meal requests for NF?

hi everyone, quick question regarding meal options when upgraded into first class (domestically).

i am a vegetarian and specify this in my profile. despite this, a special meal is never loaded on the plane when i'm upgraded into NF (even several days prior). i assume that paid F passengers would receive their meal choice. is this non-action intentional or do folks think there may be a solution somewhere?

also of note. i have flown paid F once or twice and also missed the meal, so perhaps the information exchange is just non-existant in general?

curious for thoughts. thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Need to call to ensure the special meal is loaded. I had luck before to have special meals loaded without calling but it is not common.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:03 pm

You should always call to order your special meal once you've been confirmed in F. SPML requests must be made more than 24 hours before departure.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by United757
You should always call to order your special meal once you've been confirmed in F. SPML requests must be made more than 24 hours before departure.
+1 ^

I have a special meal listed in my profile, however I always call when upgraded, IIRC I've been told more than once by RES that its a known "issue". I've also had a fair number of meals mis catered when in paid F/C, per UA that should not occur. Bottom line, call more than 24 hours before the flight to confirm the special meal is entered into the reservation.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by booch
...i am a vegetarian and specify this in my profile. ...
The profile request is meaningless -- it does nothing at UA. You must call and do it at least 24 hours in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
thanks everyone ^
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The profile request is meaningless -- it does nothing at UA. You must call and do it at least 24 hours in advance.
Another bump for this. I just confirmed with a United agent that the profile meal request does not do anything post-merger. It is not passed on to your reservation except by alert agents.

You MUST call more than 24 hours in advance to get a special meal.

Also, note that there are no more special meals on domestic flights. So this only matters for international flights anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:54 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pedxing

Also, note that there are no more special meals on domestic flights. So this only matters for international flights anyway.
FYI, special meals are available on certain domestic flights between:

JFK-SFO/LAX
EWR-SFO/LAX
Continental US and Hawaii.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Pat89339
FYI, special meals are available on certain domestic flights between:

JFK-SFO/LAX
EWR-SFO/LAX
Continental US and Hawaii.
Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:29 pm

I should have found this thread beforehand but I entered a special meal request 48 hours in advance online via the "Edit Traveler Information" screen on the United website. I just got off the phone with the 1K line and of course they state nothing was found.

Is that screen useless essentially? Does a special meal always require a call for all reservations?

<insert angry comment how LH does this all electronically without a call even in Y>
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
this was probably a rhetorical question but
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Is that screen useless essentially? Does a special meal always require a call for all reservations? .....
yes, yes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've had a special meal in my profile for many years and have flown countless p.s. segments since the most recent cutback in special meal service. In all cases, no special meals were boarded. However, I flew HNL-ORD a few weeks ago and a special meal was boarded - I was shocked. I then flew HNL-IAD last weekend and no special meal was boarded.

Go figure...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

I sent an email to CS via the website shortly after my above posting. They actually replied relatively quickly stating they had gotten a reservation supervisor to add the request but since it was within 24 hours they could not guarantee the meals would be loaded. They thanked me for my 1K status and stated they would forward it to the UA technology team.

It's better than the response I got on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.