Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Confirmed Mileage Upgrade: Can't use OLCI or Mr. Chicken

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:05 am
Original Poster

When I have a confirmed upgrade with miles (confirmed and seat assigned weeks in advance online), I can't use OLCI or Mr. Chicken; I have to wait to see an agent at the airport. OLCI and Mr. Chicken don't seem to understand upgrading with miles, only upgrading with e-500's.

When I get to the agent, I have to explain I'm upgrading with miles, and it takes some time to get this processed.

This is on my usual domestic route: BOS or MHT to/from SFO or SJC. I am plain old Premier, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have an explanation for this?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
<---MHT flyer too Quite a few of us here so welcome to Flyertalk ^

yep... upgrading with miles through OLCI seems to be a legacy systems issue that can't be done. You'll have to see the counter agent.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Welcome to FlyerTalk, miriamk!

I haven't seen this problem myself. The only thing close was when my wife sponsored an upgrade for me with miles.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think this is the problem, but it's a shot -- have your flights been extremely full? Sometimes in those cases, when the seatmap is packed, they shut down OLCI and the kiosks to let the "professionals" deal with the flight.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Nah, the flights aren't necessarily full. OLCI works, but doesn't know about upgrading with miles. Sounds like something I just have to live with! Thanks all for the responses.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:22 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
As recently as last week I had no problems with this.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
I have never had this problem. I have done many confirmed upgrades with miles, and OLCI has always worked. On 3 or 4 occasions I have been moved from one seat in F to another because of air marshal, but OLCI worked with the new seat assignment.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:02 am

We've encountered this twice. The last time, the CSRs I spoke to couldn't figure it out, and had me call website support. I did and got a gal in India who, despite repeated attempts to explain, thought I was trying to obtain an upgrade. Since I didn't want her lack of skills to cause me to lose the upgrade I already had, I begged her to leave the account alone, and we just used airport check-in.

And they say there's no adventure in travel anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The fact that the flight is upgraded has nothing to do with OLCI not working. I've upgraded with miles many times and never had a problem. It's just that sometimes OLCI doesn't work, and nobody really knows why.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Has there been a schedule change to your itinerary? If there was a schedule change, and you didn't call in to confirm the change, it'll cause a disconnect that prevents you from OLCI.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of reasons why OLCI doesn't work...
Old May 18, 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
...It's just that sometimes OLCI doesn't work, and nobody really knows why.
A new wrinkle on that song (to mix my metaphor ):

1. Flying domestically A-B-C-D. Had previously applied for a mileage upgrade using 15K miles. A-B and C-D clear immediately, B-C is waitlisted. Do OLCI successfully, but get "We are unable to print your boarding passes; please see agent/kiosk." Go to My Itineraries. I see that B-C has cleared, but My Itins is showing two entries, one confirmed in F and one confirmed in Y. Go back and cancel check-in. Still can't check in with an upgraded B-C leg. So I call, explain the problem, ask them to clean up the PNR, removing the entry for the Y segment. She does so.

2. Go back to OLCI; this time it shows all three segments upgraded correctly. Check in and try to print boarding passes -- "Unable to print boarding passes; please try again later or see agent/kiosk." Logout and go back to OLCI where it shows checked in for all three upgraded legs. Try to re-print boarding passes; get same error.
Old May 18, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
This is a chronic UA PITA for me. I'm off to HKG on Firday with UG confirmed one way with miles and the other with an SWU. I'm not expecting to get OLCI to work. It's never worked with a mileage UG before, at least for me.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
OLCI After Rebooking a Miles-Supported Upgraded Flight

Ok, folks, I did a search; promise!

I was booked LAX-DEN-IAD tomorrow, NF to DEN and NC to IAD, supported by miles (mine). LAX-DEN is cancelled, so I had myself rebooked onto UA 946 in NC. My itinerary shows that I am confirmed in NC and I have a seat assigned.

When I try to OLCI for UA 946, it asks me how I want to support the upgrade and offers e500s, CR-1, or SWU as options. Is there any danger for me to wait until checking in with an agent at LAX tomorrow or should I call UA and see if this can't be fixed?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming they're your miles there shouldn't be any trouble. If you don't want to spend time on the phone with web support just check-in at the airport.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just as an update; I didn't bother to call UA and just checked in with an agent at LAX. She printed my BP quickly, but I did notice this morning that e500s had been pulled for this flight, so I will need to call MP and have them re-credit my 15K miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.