Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Book/Waitlist NC Now or Wait for Until After 3 March Integration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1k, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - 5 Star Gold

I'm planning a trip to Germany in August. I plan on buying an economy ticket and using a SWU to get upgraded to Business.

With all the stuff that's going on, is it beneficial to me to book before March 3 or after? Or does it even matter?

I apologize, but I haven't been able to keep up with all the information regarding the switches on Mar 3rd and I've never flown internationally so I'm really not sure on this one.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2012 at 3:47 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If there is upgrade space available, I'd book immediately. Even if there isn't, I don't see any downside to booking now.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by thach1ef
I'm planning a trip to Germany in August. I plan on buying an economy ticket and using a SWU to get upgraded to Business.

With all the stuff that's going on, is it beneficial to me to book before March 3 or after? Or does it even matter?

I apologize, but I haven't been able to keep up with all the information regarding the switches on Mar 3rd and I've never flown internationally so I'm really not sure on this one.

Any thoughts?
if your status is going to increase then wait. if not do it now but pick a routing that is confirmable as FS stated all else is a wildcard
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Status will be the same, still going to be a 1K.

Thanks for your advice guys. Appreciate it
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:39 pm

If you're happy with the fare and there is upgrade space available gett-er done.
If you're going to have to wait-list for an upgrade, remember not all fares are upgradeable. Be cautious of what you're doing, especially since it's your first international flight. After you book your itinerary (if you do it on-line) immediately call res and ask to use the SWU if it's yours. Since you are a 1K you have 6 of these puppies. The res agent will tell you if the fare qualifies for the upgrade. If by some chance it doesn't you have 24 hours to cancel or your on the hook and it will be steerage over the pond.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice LilAbner!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How to check for NC Availability after integration?

How do I check now for NC availability after integration?

I am sure this has been answered somewhere by all the UA experts, but I simply haven't had time to keep up to date with using the CO site. Is there a link to where this has been explained?

I have hated the CO site, but I guess I'm forced to use it now.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Exclamation

Just a word of warning to double check if you had waitlisted upgrades on the old system.

I'm not sure if this happened to others, but I'm writing this from AMS, where I'm flying AMS-ORD today 3/4.. I had requested a upgrade to NC two weeks back before the transition and mileage was deducted, but the flight was at NC0.

When I checked in today, the agent said I was NOT on the list and she had to manually put me back on, and re-deduct the miles (and I'll have to sort out the double deduction later...).

Hope this is not the usual...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryu2
When I checked in today, the agent said I was NOT on the list and she had to manually put me back on, and re-deduct the miles (and I'll have to sort out the double deduction later...).
Ryu2, did your upgrade clear?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
How do I check now for NC availability after integration?
It's easy now.
Enter your cities and dates and start with the Select Departing Flight screen.
Click on Fare Class in the right-most column.
It will display the inventory. Look for R (or RN if you have elite status) inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.