Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Did I just waste 17,000 miles? (Miles-Supported Upgrade to First Class on CR7 Flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I just waste 17,000 miles? (Miles-Supported Upgrade to First Class on CR7 Flight)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi. I am new to this whole business of frequent flying and upgrades. My company booked me economy IAD-COS on a United Express Flight (4 hours 6 mins) on a CR7 over supper time. As I don't fly these distances often, I used points to upgrade to First class, hoping for a bit of a nicer experience and a meal with a glass or two of wine, as a treat for myself. I read on another thread that flights operated by United Express only serve snack boxes. Did I just waste 17,000 points on a crappy snack box filled with junk food?

If yes, does anyone know if I can request my points back and go back to economy?

Last edited by petey49; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm Reason: Add info
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, I am sad to say there are no ovens on United Express flights so "meals" are of the snack-box type, even for such a long flight. Your miles-supported upgrade will get you free checked luggage, priority check-in and boarding, a wider seat and free drinks plus said snack box. I hope you find enough worth in that for your hard-earned miles.

You may request to be downgraded. The rules are as such:

Before the day of your flight, the exact fare bucket must be available. If you booked an economy class ticket in a "Q" fare bucket, the Q fare must still be available.

On the day of your flight, if there is any economy seat open, you can ask to be downgraded into it.

I believe there is no fee for recrediting your miles if you self-downgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
probably, but its better than what you might get in back....did one ord-dfw a while back and the bw & i both got 2 boxes....
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petey49
Hi. I am new to this whole business of frequent flying and upgrades. My company booked me economy IAD-COS on a United Express Flight (4 hours 6 mins) on a CR7 over supper time. As I don't fly these distances often, I used points to upgrade to First class, hoping for a bit of a nicer experience and a meal as a treat for myself. I read on another thread that flights operated by United Express only serve snack boxes. Did I just waste 17,000 points on a crappy snack box filled with junk food?
Welcome to FT, petey49! ^

Yes, you'll probably get a crappy snack box, though I think the food has been slightly upgraded from pure Junk status. A waste of the miles? No one but you can know whether the use of miles to upgade is "worth" it or not, but I certainly don't think upgrading a 4+ hour CR7 flight is a waste. Quite the contrary: That's a long flight on a small plane. (I didn't even know a CRJ could fly 1,463 miles!?! Is there any longer UA CR7 flight?) You'll appreciate the comfortable if small F cabin (definitely go for a seat in row 1).

One question: 17,000 miles? Did you mean 15,000? (Or have prices changed and I missed the memo?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have spent a lot of time in CRJ 700's, most of it in F and don't think you wasted miles - 4 hours in a CRJ 700 is a long time!

Enjoy the snack box and welcome to FT.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by as219
Welcome to FT, petey49! ^

(I didn't even know a CRJ could fly 1,463 miles!?! Is there any longer UA CR7 flight?)
Three flights come to mind, all to SFO... from MCI, AUS and SAT. Not much longer, but still longer than Barbie jets should be flying.....
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Three flights come to mind, all to SFO... from MCI, AUS and SAT. Not much longer, but still longer than Barbie jets should be flying.....
Which is why when flying out West, I always try to book the MCI-SFO flight because it's weight restricted so often that VBD opportunities abound.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
I have spent a lot of time in CRJ 700's, most of it in F and don't think you wasted miles - 4 hours in a CRJ 700 is a long time!
+1...

While not a "great" use of miles, it is certainly not a waste.

Also, where does the 17K fit in (or were you rounding from 17.5K on a w/V fare)?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Hello. Sorry it was 17,500 points. That is what they charged me when I requested an up-grade by clicking.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, I am sad to say there are no ovens on United Express flights so "meals" are of the snack-box type, even for such a long flight. Your miles-supported upgrade will get you free checked luggage, priority check-in and boarding, a wider seat and free drinks plus said snack box. I hope you find enough worth in that for your hard-earned miles.

You may request to be downgraded. The rules are as such:

Before the day of your flight, the exact fare bucket must be available. If you booked an economy class ticket in a "Q" fare bucket, the Q fare must still be available.

On the day of your flight, if there is any economy seat open, you can ask to be downgraded into it.

I believe there is no fee for recrediting your miles if you self-downgrade.
Per UA's site if you have a confirmed upgrade using miles and you cancel the upgrade there is a fee to redeposit the miles. How much depends on status. General Member is $150. See part 2 paragraph c in the following.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,50994,00.html
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Any chance of getting yourself rerouted through DEN instead? I fly IAD<->COS and always prefer to connect in DEN. Bigger plane with a real meal in F over dinner, plus you get the extra 500 miles for the 13 minutes in the air from DEN to COS.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
F on that flight will be much better than Y IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I can think of few things worse than 3+ hours in the back of an RJ.

This is not about the best use of miles to obtain a great travel experience.
This is about the best use of miles to avoid discomfort.

Worth it IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Freelancer
Do you have any status? If not you'll have to pay about a $75 co-pay at the airport.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I can think of few things worse than 3+ hours in the back of an RJ.

This is not about the best use of miles to obtain a great travel experience.
This is about the best use of miles to avoid discomfort.

Worth it IMO.
EWR-OKC, 1325mi, E145
I'd kill for a CRJ700

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.