Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by catocony
I fondly remember the cold chicken plate on US Air years ago, when you got that on flights from IAD and DCA up to BOS, down to CLT, etc. So yeah, they could do a very fast snack service - snack as being the hot sandwich with the bag of horrible Sun Chips, maybe even the soup.

But, in this day and age, if they can come up with an excuse not to, they will. Remember, flight attendants aren't there for attending to customers anymore, "their primary duty is for safety".

Why spend time and energy and a few bucks per passenger in F and C on food when you can do a quick beverage service and sit on your butt for an hour and do nothing except get paid?

I'm guessing meal service has been reduced/cut as a cost savings measure by mgmt, not because the FA's won't serve the food.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by XLR26
I'm guessing meal service has been reduced/cut as a cost savings measure by mgmt, not because the FA's won't serve the food.
I fondly remember the cold chicken plate on US Air years ago, when you got that on flights from IAD and DCA up to BOS, down to CLT, etc. So yeah, they could do a very fast snack service - snack as being the hot sandwich with the bag of horrible Sun Chips, maybe even the soup.

But, in this day and age, if they can come up with an excuse not to, they will. Remember, flight attendants aren't there for attending to customers anymore, "their primary duty is for safety".

Why spend time and energy and a few bucks per passenger in F and C on food when you can do a quick beverage service and sit on your butt for an hour and do nothing except get paid?
+1

When I flew IAD-ORD in 2010, they were offering the old fruit and cheese plate..

Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Guy, you'll barely be in the air an hour and half, even less coming back to Dulles. There's no time on short flights like that for a meal service. I don't fly the route that often these days, but I can't remember getting a plate of anything on that route in years.
What do you mean, there's no time for a meal service? Up until about 2 years ago, the flight attendants had no problems pulling off a full lunch and dinner service on the 777s that used to operate on the route.

After that, the meal was downgraded to the fruit and cheese snack - again, no problems serving it. Now, it's just the snack basket.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
What do you mean, there's no time for a meal service? Up until about 2 years ago, the flight attendants had no problems pulling off a full lunch and dinner service on the 777s that used to operate on the route.

After that, the meal was downgraded to the fruit and cheese snack - again, no problems serving it. Now, it's just the snack basket.
So what's the deal with the UX F snack box , my flight to ord is 3+hours long , I would think we would get a snack box , also can I expect pre departure drinks ? On UX as well?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Actually, there is plenty of time. Not too long ago (I'm thinking 2007-2008?) UA did serve full meals at meal times. Remember BusinessOne?

As for the short flight excuse, QF serves a full meal on SYD-BNE in Biz (that's about 4/5 the distance of ORD-IAD). LH even throws out a tray of food to C passengers on FRA-MUC!

It can be done, but this isn't the place to start yet another thread about FA unions...
Indeed, just did FRA-LHR on BA C last week, about a 60 minute flight, seafood cold meal tray served (I have a standing seafood special meal pref on BA) with two drinks rounds, 24 people in the C cabin. Completed with plenty of time to spare.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
To clarify:

Foreign airlines do it because they value service. I've had meals on LHR-FRA quite a few times, as well as FRA-CDG, GIG-POA, short flights in and out of NRT.

As far as US airlines, is there time? Sure, there used to be. Before your average FA age crept well over 50 years old, it was common. Today, I haven't seen a real meal service on a short flight in several years. The excuse I get is "security" or some such crap.

You can say it's to cut back, but how much does a meal cost the airline? A few bucks? It's simply a sign that good service is not high on the list of things a US airline provides anymore. A cheap ticket is what you pay for and it's what you get, and it's people who pay for Y tickets or paid F and C who get reamed.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:46 am

Last edited by flugvergnugen; Sep 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u

It was a partial full meal, lunch or dinner serve the same thing, and it was a cold meal. And the meal only exist on flights during meal times. I remembered sometimes it was cold chicken breast plate with potatoes (I specifically remembered that on the schedule 744 flying on this route for a short time), and sometimes it was the salad (original salad, no warm steak or chicken as topping, just basic chef sald or cobb salad)

To clarify:

Foreign airlines do it because they value service. I've had meals on LHR-FRA quite a few times, as well as FRA-CDG, GIG-POA, short flights in and out of NRT.

As far as US airlines, is there time? Sure, there used to be. Before your average FA age crept well over 50 years old, it was common. Today, I haven't seen a real meal service on a short flight in several years. The excuse I get is "security" or some such crap.
There is always a meal even on short flights with UA back then or currently, it is just about domestic or international. As short as ICN-NRT-ICN, it has a meal on UA in F and C. You said you had done short flights out of NRT, then you should already known about that.

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
On a recent flight I took the freedom to grab *2* Toblerone bars from the snack basket (I was seated in row 2 I think), and the F/A promptly asked me to put one back until she had gone through the rest of the cabin (there were plenty of bars in the basket).

So, don't expect any sort of luxury.
So what's the problem ? Can you be courteous to others and wait til the second round ?

I would be mad when the snack basket come to me and no more toblerone or pop chips left because of pax in front take 2 or 3 servings to themselves.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Just did to DCA

I came back home from NRT yesterday through ORD to DCA, not IAD, but still WAS. If you are going to Washington, DCA is much easier to get in and out of than IAD. Normal seats, snacks in a basket--but a great flight crew--on this two class plane. I was using an SWU and was upgraded on my last leg at the gate.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Uaflyer710
So what's the deal with the UX F snack box , my flight to ord is 3+hours long , I would think we would get a snack box , also can I expect pre departure drinks ? On UX as well?
You get a special "ExPlus" snack box in F on a UX flight of that length typically (IIRC, it needs to be ~2.5+ hours for the snack box in F to be offered, though YMMV). It's nothing special (very similar contents to the BOB boxes offered in Y on mainline flights), but beats getting nothing.

PDB on UX in F is typically a midget water bottle IME. You can always request something else, but the FA may not even be able to easily get to the drink cart during boarding on the CR7 and E170s.

Depends on the foreign airline. I've been impressed by some domestic service on foreign carriers (LH's subsidiary EN comes to mind, and LH themselves to a degree), yet on others (yes, SN and JK, I am thinking of you), the domestic experience is poor, with Y pax having to pay for everything (even a cup of water) and C--typically just Y seats with the middle seat blocked anyway--maybe offering a stale snack baggie and a soda.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: their are many of them
The route is nothing to ride home about it is max a 2 hour flight you get your beverage and maybe a light snack.

standard shorthual first.

You want more Fly AA they do real service on DCA to ORD routes. but frankly that is a short enough flight i don't need meal service.

and besides the domestic food is only OK
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Guy, you'll barely be in the air an hour and half, even less coming back to Dulles. There's no time on short flights like that for a meal service.
SQ can do a meal service on SIN-KUL, a 55 minute 196 mile flight in an A330; granted this is UA we're talking about, I wouldn't expect them to be capable of pulling it off these days.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
There is always a meal even on short flights with UA back then or currently, it is just about domestic or international. As short as ICN-NRT-ICN, it has a meal on UA in F and C. You said you had done short flights out of NRT, then you should already known about that.
NRT-ICN comes in about 200 miles longer, but compared to OZ and NH on the same route, their meal service is light and disappointing.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Why does the web site and mobile site say light snack instead of refreshments in first on some of these routes then? Seems very misleading. If you want to degrade the product then fine, but communicate that to the customer. Even IAD-BOS says light snack in first instead of refreshments.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:32 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Why does the web site and mobile site say light snack instead of refreshments in first on some of these routes then? Seems very misleading. If you want to degrade the product then fine, but communicate that to the customer. Even IAD-BOS says light snack in first instead of refreshments.
What do they actually do on the IAD-BOS flights?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
What do they actually do on the IAD-BOS flights?
IAD-BOS is Scones in the am, and Popchips/Nuts/Toblerone basket in the afternoon/evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.