Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Scott I think there is some error in the wording - UNLESS PURCHASED
What's the error?

Unless you purchase the EQM option you only get RDMs.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Out Of Context

Originally Posted by sbm12
What's the error?

Unless you purchase the EQM option you only get RDMs.
But it doesn't say that

When reading the entire line it sounds ambiguous to me

"The miles you purchase with OnePass Reward Maximizer are redeemable
miles and do not count toward Elite qualification unless purchased."

Maybe it should qualify the required secondary purchase ie:

"Unless EQM are also purchased"

Otherwise it sounds to me as if they are refering to the same miles

It doesn't affect me in any case
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:18 am
RNE

"The miles you purchase with OnePass Reward Maximizer are redeemable miles and do not count toward Elite qualification unless purchased."
I rule in your favor. CO is hereby ordered to reword their ambiguous sentence. To do so might take a programmer all of 2 minutes—after he stops playing Halo, puts down the bag of Fritos and wipes his greasy fingers on his Texans t-shirt.

RNE, paraphrasing John Cleese to say, "Some people have made the mistake of seeing Smisek's work as a load of rubbish about airline timetables, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of IAH. The point is taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the cockpit must be our head, the first class our esophagus, the guard's van our left wing, the aft lavatory our shins, the coach compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and everything lie-flat is a defunct no-account electric elk called Larry. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box."
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by aki480
I think that's what the second, higher fee is for. The small print says "The miles you purchase with with OnePass Maximizer are redeemable miles and do not count toward Elite qualification, unless OnePass Elite Maximizer is added to your purchase."
That's the problem then, both options were labeled "maximizer" one had twice as many miles for twice the fee. But that was the only difference.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:45 pm

oooppppsss

Last edited by transportbiz; Sep 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: dup post
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:46 pm

But it doesn't say that

When reading the entire line it sounds ambiguous to me

"The miles you purchase with OnePass Reward Maximizer are redeemable
miles and do not count toward Elite qualification unless purchased."

Maybe it should qualify the required secondary purchase ie:

"Unless EQM are also purchased"

Otherwise it sounds to me as if they are refering to the same miles

It doesn't affect me in any case
Exactly, the first screen says something like: would you like to purchase additional miles? Purchasing additional miles will help you get reward travel sooner, and can also help you achieve status faster.

Then you go on, and are presented two options, both labeled "maximizer" one is twice the miles as the other, for twice the price. But, as you read the fine print below it says specifically "Unless EQM are also purchased". So, at one point is say you'll earn status faster, and another point is says maybe...
it seemed to me, something I'd have to fight over, if I bought it, so I declined. CO has such a knack of leaving revenue on the table.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: Many
So far, I have never seen an EQM offer from UA, only RDM. I hope UA will follow CO's lead and add (clearly labelled) EQM purchase options to the platter - it will be very tempting if someone is close to the next tier.

I do find it interesting that UA has been the a la cart pricing leader recently, but CO (not UA) is the one to offer EQM this way.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:42 pm
RNE

CO routinely sells 1000 RDMs for $32. Are these check-in offers more or less than that cost?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Res Related

Originally Posted by RNE
CO routinely sells 1000 RDMs for $32. Are these check-in offers more or less than that cost?

They seem to be matching the basic or double miles

of the trip you are reviewing but I wasn't paying

attention to the cost as it didn't matter to me
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
So far, I have never seen an EQM offer from UA, only RDM. I hope UA will follow CO's lead and add (clearly labelled) EQM purchase options to the platter - it will be very tempting if someone is close to the next tier.

I do find it interesting that UA has been the a la cart pricing leader recently, but CO (not UA) is the one to offer EQM this way.
We're not sure it does include EQM's.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:06 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by reinballe
In some sense it is just a more environmentally friendly mileage run...

Why not simply introduce a purchase scheme that does not require any travel? My understanding is that this is already implicitly the case, because the miles post instantly and a refundable fare can be... cancelled and refunded without the loss of miles (or??).
Better yet, allow us to use e-certs for them.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:22 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
We're not sure it does include EQM's.
While perhaps the wording could be improved, I'm sure the offers currently available to me and, from the descriptions posted, to many others do include EQMs if you purchase the RDMs.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I'm seeing 3.2c/RDM + 6.0c/EQM on an upcoming itinerary.
Put another way, I could earn about 4,300 miles/EQM for about $400. I could also earn about the same with a trip to Vegas, which these days would probably cost about $400 as well. But the Vegas trip would cost me a lot more in total. But if I purchase the miles, then I don't get to go to Vegas. Hmmm.

Another thing -- the miles it says I could purchase are based on the round-trip mileage of my itinerary, even though I've already flown the outbound. So I guess the offer is for the entire reservation not just the upcoming segment.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, I'm seeing 3.2c/RDM + 6.0c/EQM on an upcoming itinerary.
Put another way, I could earn about 4,300 miles/EQM for about $400. I could also earn about the same with a trip to Vegas, which these days would probably cost about $400 as well. But the Vegas trip would cost me a lot more in total. But if I purchase the miles, then I don't get to go to Vegas. Hmmm.

Another thing -- the miles it says I could purchase are based on the round-trip mileage of my itinerary, even though I've already flown the outbound. So I guess the offer is for the entire reservation not just the upcoming segment.
decisions, decisions!

I think that given CO Insider's hint that the EQM purchase offer may not be a 'permanent' feature -- I may be more inclined to take advantage of the opportunity to purchase EQMs sooner rather than later!@:-) Of course, that all depends on each person's individual needs & resources!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:32 am

Edit: apparently didn't read the entire thread before posting. If this program works as intended, I'm ok with it.

Last edited by JC1120; Sep 6, 2010 at 8:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.