Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CHANGE has come to United.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Great. Now all they need to do is dump Starnet blocking and book Star Alliance awards online.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by amartin1979
According to the 1K desk, starting on Monday, Feb 1, one-way awards will be bookable on united.com as a "test." More details to come undoubtedly.
Very interesting news, and I don't doubt your word on this, but I'd still like to see some confirmation directly from UA.

Originally Posted by uchuuace
Since it's just 1/2 on American, I'd expect it to also be just 1/2 on UA. My guess is UA metal only, but this is great for constructing brand-new routings!
If in fact UA is following AA's example, then it will be for *A also. On AA, you can book one-way awards on its OW partners.

Originally Posted by briank1973
It all comes down to whether or not a free stopover will still come with a roundtrip award ticket.

I believe that with AA, if you fly, for example, JFK-LHR-(anywhere else in europe you can't get to directly), you cannot get a free stopover at LHR. You need to book two awards, one JFK-LHR and the other an intra-europe award. Then you can book a one-way back to JFK. Overall, it costs more miles to have that one stopover en route.

If UA does this, it's going to be a detractor, not an enhancement, to MP.
I really like the free stopover you get with a roundtrip award ticket. I believe many others do as well.

Thus, if it means paying an extra premium for a 1-way award to keep the free stopover on a roundtrip award, then I'm all for that.
You're right about AA--in moving to one-way awards, it dropped free stop-overs. If UA adopts AA's model, then, there won't be any real RT awards in any sense, with one possible quasi-exception: I'm not clear on whether, if you book RT (or other multi-stop) awards on AA, you get one record locater for the whole trip, or whether each award is assigned a different record locater.

Good point. It's still a bit high of a premium. I was thinking more like 5K miles more for each one-way.

I can see people (and myself) booking 1-way with AAdv and the return with MP. Will basically give us added flexibility in finding available flights and dates. I still worry that UA will take something back and end up being the one who gets the better of it. It might be an avenue to increase the mileage for all awards by 5K on the one-ways. Just a thought.
Good point. There are so many times when the award is available one way and not the other on a given airline. This opens up options. Rest assured, though, that UA definitely is doing this for its own good, which is why I strongly suspect that it will "get the better of it" by making us pay the extra miles by booking stopovers as separate awards, thus increasing the miles it gets back from us for such trips.

On balance, I see this development as a mixed bag. Great in terms of greater flexibility; worse in terms of the likely end of stopovers.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by uchuuace
Since it's just 1/2 on American, I'd expect it to also be just 1/2 on UA.
As always...an insightful FTer nails the thought process behind UA's management team.

Not trying to flame UA's management team too hard here - things have really been looking up over the past year or so. Let's hope the good ideas keep rolling!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
You're right about AA--in moving to one-way awards, it dropped free stop-overs. If UA adopts AA's model, then, there won't be any real RT awards in any sense, with one possible quasi-exception: I'm not clear on whether, if you book RT (or other multi-stop) awards on AA, you get one record locater for the whole trip, or whether each award is assigned a different record locater.
You can get one record locator for a RT(2 o/w's) on AAwards.

My guess is that free stopovers go poof. While many don't like it, sources tell me most prefer o/w awards over the option of a free stopover. You should still be able to book a 'stopover', as long as it's less than 24hrs, right?

The system doesn't get more miles or $ from me, at least not to UA/AA. In the europe example, I'll just book some lcc to hop around the areas I want to go to. It's the premium cabin longhauls that I care about.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Whacking stopovers would be a huge hit, IMO, especially when CO offers both a stopover and an open-jaw on their awards.

A nice middleground between what AA does and what CO does could be the status quo + UA metal only one-way awards, possibly only if booked at united.com.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
My only complaint is that all UA changes seem to come as a secondary reaction to what AA is doing. It somehow makes me feel like I should support AA more, for being a leader in these programs and changes.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all comes down to whether or not a free stopover will still come with a roundtrip award ticket.

If UA does this, it's going to be a detractor, not an enhancement, to MP.
I really like the free stopover you get with a roundtrip award ticket. I believe many others do as well.

Thus, if it means paying an extra premium for a 1-way award to keep the free stopover on a roundtrip award, then I'm all for that.
UA has the chance to top AA on this one:

1/2 miles and keep the free stopover!!!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by easykristine
My only complaint is that all UA changes seem to come as a secondary reaction to what AA is doing. It somehow makes me feel like I should support AA more, for being a leader in these programs and changes.
Yep, you're right. AA removed More Room Throughout Coach, so UA followed and removed...

Oh, wait.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: Sunoco Gas Card
Hmm. I wonder if it is a coincidence that AA actually invented the frequent flyer program. Go figure.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Everything UA does with Mileage Plus is a reaction to AA changing AAdvantage.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Actually, HA started one-way awards several years ago. In fact, on HA, all awards are one-ways.
NW had one-way awards 20+ years ago. They used to send you a blank one-way ticket for every 10,000 miles, and you just had to fill it in.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cesco.g
UA has the chance to top AA on this one:

1/2 miles and keep the free stopover!!!
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa finally leading in something. (or the potential to at least)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Bingo.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I woudln't go that far. AA still has close-in fees on awards, which UA got rid of last year.

And UA didn't match AA's unlimited upgrades for EXPs for years (they're only doing it now with the CO tie-up).

And AA does not have CR1s for their EXPs, though they have 8 SWUs. Nor does AA waive redeposit/change fees for EXPs.

But if you want to extend your logic, you could fly WN, since they often set the lower fare bases, or maybe B6 or VX as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.