Search

UAL and Chase to launch 3 new Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: My views are not those of United Airlines or UAL Corp
UAL and Chase to launch 3 new Credit Cards

http://www.united.com/newcards

The three new cards -- the United Mileage Plus (R) Club Visa (R), the United Mileage Plus (R) Access Visa (R) and the United Mileage Plus (R) Select Visa (R) -- are designed for savvy travelers who desire added comfort when they travel, or want to take the easy, fast track toward earning miles for their next award trip.

With these new cards, cardholders will receive exclusive benefits, including Red Carpet Club membership, Economy Plus seating, up to 5,000 or 10,000 miles that count toward elite status, or double and triple miles toward redeeming an award ticket.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Chase=UA's future.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wow, looks like the old Platinum Visa is gone!
http://www.mpfamilyofcards.com/club/
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:19 am
smn

It looks like no way to quickly get EQM's anymore. Did I miss one of the cards that allows this or do I have to spend $35k before I can get any?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:21 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Would be a heck of a deal if you could switch from the Signature Visa to the Club card and get the same amount in fees waived as a 1K.

Originally Posted by smn
It looks like no way to quickly get EQM's anymore. Did I miss one of the cards that allows this or do I have to spend $35k before I can get any?
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
The card in the center looks pretty close to the same Signature Platinum card as before. You can get up to 5K EQMs on united.com purchases.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 3, 2009 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by smn
Well, that page isn't clear on whether it is the listing of all of the available cards or a subset thereof. If it's the listing of all cards, you're correct.

Originally Posted by l'etoile
The card in the center looks pretty close to the same Signature Platinum card as before. You can get up to 5K EQMs on united.com purchases.
Pretty close, yes. The old Platinum Visa allowed you to earn 15k EQM in your 1st year and 10k EQM in subsequent years. This one has a cap of 5k it appears.

Last edited by bmvaughn; Aug 3, 2009 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
http://www.mpfamilyofcards.com/club/
...and with it the ability to earn 5,000 EQM as a reward for spending $35k/year (at least for new cardmembers; I assume you can keep your platinum visa and its current benefits, if you have one).
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:29 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Just noticed this, too:
however, under the United Mileage Plus terms and conditions, the maximum number of EQM that can be awarded to your United Mileage Plus Member Number is 10,000 each calendar year.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:34 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by snic
...and with it the ability to earn 5,000 EQM as a reward for spending $35k/year (at least for new cardmembers; I assume you can keep your platinum visa and its current benefits, if you have one).
It's up to 10K EQMs for the $35K minimum spend (first two cards). It's 5K EQMs with no initial minimum spend (middle card).
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG
So what will Chase do with my current Platinum Visa? Maybe they will grandfather people in and I can keep my current card (with benefits), but I have a feeling they will make me choose from one of the "New" cards.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
also intriguing that Chase reserves the right to kick you off the RCC card if you spend less than $10k/year on the card.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oly_flyer
So what will Chase do with my current Platinum Visa? Maybe they will grandfather people in and I can keep my current card (with benefits), but I have a feeling they will make me choose from one of the "New" cards.
I was wondering the same thing. The "middle" card benefits are probably the closest to my current Platinum card - but it isn't branded "platinum", and the only platinum card I can find is the "business platinum" all the way on the right. Not that the word or color of the card matters to me as much as the benefits. If made to choose I would go for the new RCC card if I could get my current RCC membership rebated.

I went as far as the application form, and there is the traditional place were you can ask for a second card for another account user. I'm guessing you only get one RCC membership, however? If you both get access that would be a real bargain. (The fine print says you're mailed a regular RCC card, which makes me think that you get one, but that it is a regular membership, not a substandard one.)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
It's up to 10K EQMs for the $35K minimum spend (first two cards). It's 5K EQMs with no initial minimum spend (middle card).
(The "first two" and "middle" refer to locations on http://www.mpfamilyofcards.com/club/, just in case anyone is confused.)

For the first two cards you have to spend $35K for 5000 EQM, then 1 EQM per $10, up to 10,000 EQM. You'd have to spend $85K to get 10,000 EQM, as opposed to $35K, including $5K united.com purchases, under the old system.

For the middle card, you can only earn 5,000 EQM from .com purchases; no EQMs available for spending gobs of money.

In all, it's a worse deal if you care about the EQMs.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
One of these is already being discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...embership.html
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:59 am

interesting, the triple mile card offers double miles for *A purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.