Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I have given up on Ch 9 domestic. I find it available sometimes on SIN-HKG and then again out of HKG to SFO a well as ORD but it stops once we are past NRT. Channel 9 used to be such a wonderful offering especially for enthusiasts but Unions have put an end to it.
That's the problem. Just like in the past, even when it's available there's no guarantee it's on. So,
I suggest no one should get their hopes up. UA's pilots won't come out of their corners and embrace CH 9 all of a sudden.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
So...I hate to be the one to ask this embarrassing question, but...

How do we 'access' Channel 9 on UA aircraft (if its available)? I've been on hundreds of flights and have never heard the announcement nor seen anything remotely "Channel 9 ish" other than the flight map...
#embarrased1K
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
So...I hate to be the one to ask this embarrassing question, but...

How do we 'access' Channel 9 on UA aircraft (if its available)? I've been on hundreds of flights and have never heard the announcement nor seen anything remotely "Channel 9 ish" other than the flight map...
#embarrased1K
Depending on the aircraft, in premium cabins, look for AUDIO then FROM THE FLIGHT DECK then press LISTEN.
-or-
On some aircraft (pre-merger CO 777s and 767s) it the audio that plays (if made available) when the MAP is on the video screen.

In economy with audio "channels" such as the 747 and pre-merger UA 757s, select Channel 9.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by wxguy
In economy with audio "channels" such as the 747 and pre-merger UA 757s,
select Channel 9.
On 747s it was often on Ch. 14.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Does anyone know if the Ch9 on the 77W is wired in or part of streaming entertainment? I know UA has maintained that it's coming back, but that they were trying to integrate it with the streaming system somehow. If it's streaming, it's a great sign. Even if not, still a good sign that it's not dead. I think there are many more Ch9 fans than they realize.
Have they actually announced that it's coming back? This would make me fly UA a lot more.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYTA
Have they actually announced that it's coming back? This would make me fly UA a lot more.
For the longest time it was part of the hold "music" at the call centers that UA offered live ATC. They have also responded on www.unitedairtime.com a few times saying it is the intent to return Ch9 via streaming, but are working through it. I really do think it's underestimated how much it's enjoyed. The fact it's on a new plane is a great sign. As odd as it sounds, I originally chose UA because of ch 9.

However, like has been mentioned it's always up to the Captain as to if it's on or off. I've had many discussions with pilots over the years and at one time the biggest issue for keeping it off was to prevent an uneducated person from hearing something they didn't know and making a compliant against the flight crew because they "thought" it sounded bad etc... I guess there were also rumors pilots kept it off as a way to tell the company to stick it...however that's all rumored, even to the pilots telling the stories.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
For the longest time it was part of the hold "music" at the call centers that UA offered live ATC. They have also responded on www.unitedairtime.com a few times saying it is the intent to return Ch9 via streaming, but are working through it. I really do think it's underestimated how much it's enjoyed. The fact it's on a new plane is a great sign. As odd as it sounds, I originally chose UA because of ch 9.

However, like has been mentioned it's always up to the Captain as to if it's on or off. I've had many discussions with pilots over the years and at one time the biggest issue for keeping it off was to prevent an uneducated person from hearing something they didn't know and making a compliant against the flight crew because they "thought" it sounded bad etc... I guess there were also rumors pilots kept it off as a way to tell the company to stick it...however that's all rumored, even to the pilots telling the stories.
The most legendary "reason" is a pilot who once responded to his ATC call with, "I've got W(hiskey)," referring to the ATIS weather report that's coded sequentially by phonetic alphabet. Supposedly, a passenger listening on Ch 9 reported to the FAA that there was alcohol in the cockpit, and this resulted in the pilot being taken out-of-service while it was investigated. The story goes that he spread this story to the union, that told all of its members. I heard this directly from a captain who seemed sincere, but take it for what it's worth.

That being said, my success is about 50% on Ch 9-equipped planes where I've specifically asked.

Great news about the 77W be equipped!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I guess there were also rumors pilots kept it off as a way to tell the company to stick it...
This was the prevailing theory that I think holds the most water. Anecdotally I noticed a sharp drop in ch9 availability at PMUA as the pilots turned against the [mis]management of the Tilton gang, who managed to get the stock delisted after decades on the NYSE. https://www.theguardian.com/business...on.glenntilton
I recall FA attitudes at UA not being much better at this time, but ch9 was the only way pilots could take it out on the customers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Hertz PC
currently listening on a DEN- SFO 772 with high density config in J cabin
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:45 am

As odd as it sounds, I originally chose UA because of ch 9.
Add me to this. Exactly the reason why I chose UA when the NW/DL merger made me leave
NW. Greatly disappointed that for the past years I hardly can listen to it anymore since the
people in the pointy end adamantly refuse to turn it on.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Add me to this. Exactly the reason why I chose UA when the NW/DL merger made me leave
NW. Greatly disappointed that for the past years I hardly can listen to it anymore since the
people in the pointy end adamantly refuse to turn it on.
I'd gladly encourage anyone who appreciates Ch9 to drop UA an email and or message them on United Airtime. I'm sure it comes up in internal meetings from time to time, or it would have been completely cut years ago. Would be nice to see it make a solid comeback. ^
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I'd gladly encourage anyone who appreciates Ch9 to drop UA an email and or message them on United Airtime. I'm sure it comes up in internal meetings from time to time, or it would have been completely cut years ago. Would be nice to see it make a solid comeback. ^
Agreed! I also mention it every time in the post-flight survey they send around whether or not the plane is equipped or even if it's on. Always give a high score to flights where both is the case.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I was very glad to see "From the flight deck" as one of the entertainment options on the new 77W that I flew SFO-EWR on March 10. But the line was dead when I tuned in several times during the flight - not even the muzak that normally signals the cockpit has Ch. 9 turned off.
So is this feature enabled on the 77W's? Has anyone actually heard ATC on this channel?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by exerda
3/15, HKG-ORD, Ch9 was on gate-to-gate, with announcement. ^

Wish my 3/15 ORD-IAD (a 752) had it available, as I'd have loved to hear the go-round exchange for our landing. Captain indicated that ATC waived her off due to vehicles on the runway.
Easy to look up on liveatc.net

-RM
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Easy to look up on liveatc.net

-RM
True, but more fun "live" when you're sitting there and realize you're about to miss the approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.