Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "MP Plus Visa Zone Fare Certificate" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
New thread: Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate"

Chart for 2014 (unchanged from 2013 --which was increased from previous years, first increase in many years, at least, 2009 or earlier?)

Code:
Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 Z6 Z7 Z8
 Z1 $281 $295 $323 $338 $475 $503 $506 $589
 Z2 $202 $353 $380 $496 $498 $530 $589
 Z3 $373 $420 $403 $495 $502 $589
 Z4 $258 $417 $403 $487 $506
 Z5 $224 $420 $487 $559
 Z6 $252 $365 $379
 Z7 $258 $379
 Z8 $484
The zones are
Zone 1: DC/PA/MD/VA/WV/NC/SC/GA
Zone 2: ME/NH/VT/MA/RI/CT/DE/NJ/NY
Zone 3: FL
Zone 4: TN/OH/KY/IN/IL/MI/IA/WI/MN/NE/MO/KS
Zone 5: MS/AL/AR/LA/OK/TX
Zone 6: CO/NM/UT/WY
Zone 7: NV/AZ/CA
Zone 8: ND/SD/WA/OR/ID/MT

Paper cert conversion process posted by anc-ord772, post#321Step 1: go to https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...teExchange.jsp. Fill in the information, submit and the text below will appear. You will also need to submit a scanned copy of the cert, or fax (OR MAIL) it to United.

Your paper certificate exchange request has been received. Please allow up to 72 hours for processing. Once verified, you will receive an email at [email protected] with your electronic certificate information and redemption instructions.

Step 2: You will receive an email with the following language.

Thank you for contact United to exchange your paper certificate. When you are ready to book travel using this certificate please call our special dedicated line 877-864-8341 and advise the representative you are using a MileagePlus Visa certificate.

As of June 2014, it is reported that certificates are no longer zone-based. They are now true 2-for-1, but good only for Economy booked in U or higher.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "MP Plus Visa Zone Fare Certificate" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I upgraded the paid segments and we also succeeded in upgrading CHGal, flying on the non-upgradeable companion ticket, on SNA-ORD using e500s.
That's useful to know. Did you just upgrade at the gate, or was it possible to apply online? I'm betting that the cert just books into T, so the GA is probably fine with applying e-500s?

True, but I think of booking them like I think of booking award travel. If you do a little work and are flexible, they can provide value.
Sure, but wouldn't you agree that these are a bit harder to use than miles for saver awards? I'll stick with my "almost never" qualifier for now, though I'd be happy to eventually take it back.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:13 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are the zone fares the same as here?
Yes, same thing.

They are completely worthless IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by honmani2
For those of us in Hawaii, we get a companion tkt that's valid from Hawaii as well. In my experience, it's been very easy to get the companion tkt along with a paid tkt. Haven't done it in a while but the one I have expires in Feb 2008 so I'll soon find out how easy it is.
Wow. The one my son received was postmarked 7 June (he applied in May) and the expiry is 9/15/07. It seemed like a short window when he got it. Even more so now. I wonder if UA uses the same vendor for all the companion tickets in this promotion.

Mailed from:
Reward Headquarters
P.O.Box 4900
Fenton, MO 63099

Redeemable at:
Promotions in Travel
3525 W. Peterson, Ste. 227
Chicago, IL 60659

honmani2, how long is your window? And is the postal information the same? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
What does this mean? I booked mine through the 1K line. Seemed like any other UA booking.

IMHO, as my post indicates, my transcon was a very good deal.
Now, I'm really wondering. Your comments prompted me to go back and check the T&Cs, and the zone fares. On my son's voucher it says...

RDU-SNA (Zone 2 to Zone 6) is $575.

T&C #5 "...Taxes, airport fees and passenger facility charges and the September 11th security fee are additional and will be applied to both the original and the additional free ticket."

T&C #8 "Complimentary fares apply to the base fare only. The normal required taxes and fees including but not limited to Passenger Facility charges and September 11th security fees will apply to both the Companion Ticket and the First Ticket. A $9.95 processing fee will apply for each ticket issued."

And... a separate issue now that I'm really focused... I read:

T&C #7 "Selection of the airline varies by market, and is at the sole discretion of the issuing agency based on availability because airline participation varies from market to market." What???

And, to top it off, there is this. Step 4 in using the voucher says, "Call the toll-free number your Travel Voucher to purchase one adult round trip, coach-class ticket and receive your complimentary companion ticket. Upon confirmation of your reservation, please provide your credit card (MC, Visa, DC or AE) for payment." ...but there's no toll free number anywhere!

My son is a general member. Again, I wonder if all offer takers receive the same info, and via the same channels.

As a 20-yr-old, he's about clueless about navigating this kind of arcanery, so it will be a learning experience for both of us to get it sorted. But I hate this kind of learning experience.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 3, 2008 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by Firewind
...And... a separate issue now that I'm really focused... I read:

T&C #7 "Selection of the airline varies by market, and is at the sole discretion of the issuing agency based on availability because airline participation varies from market to market." What???...
Now, I am confused. Is everyone talking about the same companion certificate with zone fares issued by Chase for use on UA, TED, or UX? Who is "the issuing agency," don't they get booked directly with UA?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The above chart doesn't look right - it's not symmetric.
Correct -- something got lost in the cut & paste formating. Avoid tabs
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by itsme
Now, I am confused. Is everyone talking about the same companion certificate with zone fares issued by Chase for use on UA, TED, or UX? Who is "the issuing agency," don't they get booked directly with UA?
The certificate many of us are talking about are received on the annual renewal of the MP Platinum Visa. It is just for United, TED and United Express. What firewind seems to talking about appears to be something different.

The timeframe for use is roughtly 1 year (12 months to book, 13 months to travel)

Look for Account code : CHCPM
Profile code: PMO Name: MP VISA Zone
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
I'm talking about the Chase offer that included a free companion ticket, in addition to 21,000 miles, a free upgrade, and $25 -- for joining. The companion ticket voucher came from a vendor UA is contracting with, and included the curious T&C I cited. And the different zone fare prices than what Chapel Hill Guy describes. You have to book with the vendor, "Promotions in Travel". The other items came from UA directly, under separate cover.

.....and I am sorry for taking up this air. I see the OP is asking about one that comes after one year.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:07 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Im stuck.
I dont know how to get to ZLO on UA without paying a lot. I can go to GDL with MX for a bit cheaper and grab a rent-a-car and drive the 3-4hrs or even PVR, but UA, or actually anything other than Alaska airlines or MX is expensive. A shame I had enough CR1s for the family saved up
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
I'm talking about the Chase offer that included a free companion ticket, in addition to 21,000 miles, a free upgrade, and $25 -- for joining. The companion ticket voucher came from a vendor UA is contracting with, and included the curious T&C I cited. And the different zone fare prices than what Chapel Hill Guy describes. You have to book with the vendor, "Promotions in Travel". The other items came from UA directly, under separate cover.

.....and I am sorry for taking up this air. I see the OP is asking about one that comes after one year.
Right, there are at least 2 different MP Visa companion certs, one that comes as part of the original package of benefits, the other that comes when one renews for a second year. (I got my renewal one with a Platinum Visa. Do "lesser" MP Visa's get one the exact same cert upon renewal for another year?) The first, I believe, is good for a free companion ticket in coach so long as the first ticket costs at least $299, and IIRC can get you to the Caribbean and Mexico. (If one wants to fly business, the coupon is of no use to them, unless they can manage to upgrade themselves and the companion with 500-milers or CR1s?) The second type of companion cert is based on zone fares (see table in earlier post) and is only good for use in the lower 48, except perhaps if you live in Hawaii. (I presume they base it on one's address with the bank rather than their MP address, which is easier to play with.) With the second type there is no intermediate involved, or at least none that is apparent, between Chase and UA.

The second type has saved me a reasonable amount of money, so not worthless to me. Haven't used the first type as yet, but that too may prove to be of value under the right set of circumstances. Why they have these two similar but somewhat different companion certs beats me.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:17 am

I found this certificate to be useful although calling it a real two for one is a bit ridiculous but being based in BOS, I was able to find flights for my wife and I from BOS to SAT through IAD for a weekend wedding I was going to. With the zone fares, the flight was $404 for the first person, second person was free. I looked for flights on the bomb for 3-4 months before using the cert and never found anything lower than $376. So while it wasn't a true 2-for-1, it did only cost me about $450 after taxes for the two of us to go instead of the closer to $800 it would have cost without the cert. Granted my wife didn't get miles (but she doesn't fly enough to care) and we couldn't upgrade (but with 3 of the 4 legs on commuter jets, we weren't going to anyway), but we did save some significant money. I realize it's probably the exception to the rule, but there are a limited number of cases where it is useful.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigrob
I found this certificate to be useful although calling it a real two for one is a bit ridiculous but being based in BOS, I was able to find flights for my wife and I from BOS to SAT through IAD for a weekend wedding I was going to. With the zone fares, the flight was $404 for the first person, second person was free. I looked for flights on the bomb for 3-4 months before using the cert and never found anything lower than $376. So while it wasn't a true 2-for-1, it did only cost me about $450 after taxes for the two of us to go instead of the closer to $800 it would have cost without the cert. Granted my wife didn't get miles (but she doesn't fly enough to care) and we couldn't upgrade (but with 3 of the 4 legs on commuter jets, we weren't going to anyway), but we did save some significant money. I realize it's probably the exception to the rule, but there are a limited number of cases where it is useful.
Agree, and I will put mine to a similar use (IAD-JAC, zone 1 to 6), provided I can get the T fare that was out there.

I am not entirely clear about the meaning of para 12 of the T&C, which says no upgrades permitted on companion ticket, but leaves matters more uncertain about the paid ticket, telling us to "refer to the terms, conditions and booking class restrictions associated with each upgrade." I don't know what those might be with a T fare and 500-milers or CR1s, does anybody else know?

I think someone did say they managed to upgrade with one of these coupons, but I don't recall if they said which type of companion coupon and what sort of upgrade (op-up, 500-milers, award miles, or CR1s). If the paid ticket can be upgraded, I wonder if they would deny an upgrade to the companion or let it go. I suspect they would let it go.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Zone Fare?

The wife got a MP Visa zone fair cert today. There was no 'zone fare chart' in the envelope. I've looked all over this site and UA.Bomb and can not find one. I've heard you folks say this cert is not too usable but I'd like to see for myself.
Anyone have a link to this 'zone chart?' Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
That sounds like something Northwest has....
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
That sounds like something Northwest has....
UA also has them through the MP Visa, and used to have them with SilverWings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.