FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "MP Plus Visa Zone Fare Certificate" Thread [Merged]
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:22 am
itsme

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by bigrob
I found this certificate to be useful although calling it a real two for one is a bit ridiculous but being based in BOS, I was able to find flights for my wife and I from BOS to SAT through IAD for a weekend wedding I was going to. With the zone fares, the flight was $404 for the first person, second person was free. I looked for flights on the bomb for 3-4 months before using the cert and never found anything lower than $376. So while it wasn't a true 2-for-1, it did only cost me about $450 after taxes for the two of us to go instead of the closer to $800 it would have cost without the cert. Granted my wife didn't get miles (but she doesn't fly enough to care) and we couldn't upgrade (but with 3 of the 4 legs on commuter jets, we weren't going to anyway), but we did save some significant money. I realize it's probably the exception to the rule, but there are a limited number of cases where it is useful.
Agree, and I will put mine to a similar use (IAD-JAC, zone 1 to 6), provided I can get the T fare that was out there.

I am not entirely clear about the meaning of para 12 of the T&C, which says no upgrades permitted on companion ticket, but leaves matters more uncertain about the paid ticket, telling us to "refer to the terms, conditions and booking class restrictions associated with each upgrade." I don't know what those might be with a T fare and 500-milers or CR1s, does anybody else know?

I think someone did say they managed to upgrade with one of these coupons, but I don't recall if they said which type of companion coupon and what sort of upgrade (op-up, 500-milers, award miles, or CR1s). If the paid ticket can be upgraded, I wonder if they would deny an upgrade to the companion or let it go. I suspect they would let it go.