Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:40 am

It is possible, and not difficult. A 57 minute connection time is a little tight though if you happen to come in all the way at the end of T8 (as United Express from PSP is likely to do) and have to go to the end of T6. Getting from T8 to T6 doesn't require walking through one of those weird narrow tunnels, though. It's all pretty open and wide.

Here's a good map: http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...Tunnel-Map.pdf

Last edited by penner42; Jul 16, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CalRef
...7/8 to 6 without going outside the building and going back through security?...
The airside walkway between T8 and T6 is all at departure level. It's very easy to navigate - just don't go down any escalators/elevators/stairs. It's not more than a 15 minute walk from end of T8 to end of T6.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:00 am

The hardest part is getting to the connector from terminal 6. Just stay to the right. Walk along the wall to the right past the T6 security check point and the baggage claim exit. Once you are in the connector its a straight shot to T7 or T8. The T7 lobby is almost complete and the connector now goes straight through to T8.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like AC systems still think they are in T2...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Sounds like AC systems still think they are in T2...
As does the official LAX website.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What AC thinks is irrelevant.

MCT is set by the carrier. OP is connecting onto a UA-operated flight. MCT represents nothing more than UA's willingness to rebook if there is a misconnect.

I favor short MCT's because it leaves things to the passenger. There are times when a short connection is needed and a short MCT permits that.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
What AC thinks is irrelevant.
Since AC is one of the carriers involved, that's not true.

OP is connecting onto a UA-operated flight.
UA doesn't operate LAX-YYZ, so I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion.

There are times when a short connection is needed and a short MCT permits that.
But you can also get screwed if you MCT to the last flight of the day or on a crowded day where you might not get out for a long time.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FL390
The hardest part is getting to the connector from terminal 6. Just stay to the right. Walk along the wall to the right past the T6 security check point and the baggage claim exit. Once you are in the connector its a straight shot to T7 or T8. The T7 lobby is almost complete and the connector now goes straight through to T8.
OP is going from UA to AC (T8 to T6), not the other way.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
This should be easily doable, and if you are on one ticket/checked-in and have a boarding pass I don't think you need to even sweat it. Longest walk possible there would be maybe 10 mins at a brisk pace.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Thanks to all

Great information. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:27 am

Is 100 minutes enough time for Domestic (T7/8?) to Tbit? flight will arrive 11.30 AM with United Express and depart 1.10 PM with ANA. Is it faster to use the tunnel or walk outside or use the bus? and is the walk in the tunnel really 40 minutes long from T8 to TBIT?

It is on one ticket so I don't need to pick up my luggage.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
Is 100 minutes enough time for Domestic (T7/8?) to Tbit? flight will arrive 11.30 AM with United Express and depart 1.10 PM with ANA. Is it faster to use the tunnel or walk outside or use the bus? and is the walk in the tunnel really 40 minutes long from T8 to TBIT?

The walk should take 20-25 minutes and I would use the tunnel to avoid security at TBIT. I'd be more concerned with the UAX flight arriving on time.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
The walk should take 20-25 minutes and I would use the tunnel to avoid security at TBIT. I'd be more concerned with the UAX flight arriving on time.
Thanks! I will use the tunnel. I have checked the incoming UA flight and the average delay according to flightaware is less than 10 minutes and in the past 10 days the worst time the plane arrives at the gate is at 11:41. I will sit close to the front so I can exit the plane quicker.

My ANA ticket is showing that the plane will arrive at T7 but google is showing that in the past few days the planed arrived at T8. Is the terminal choice based on gate availability on day of arrival?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... My ANA ticket is showing that the plane will arrive at T7 but google is showing that in the past few days the planed arrived at T8. Is the terminal choice based on gate availability on day of arrival?
UX flights can arrive at either T7/T8 but most UX arrive at T8. Just depends on what gates are available.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by DELee
Flying back to LAX from LHR on UA935 with the family in two weeks. From what I can tell, the 787-9s from LHR arrive into the outer Terminal 7 gates (77 or so).

Responses to an older post from 2014 indicate that folks have to walk and exit through Customs in Terminal 6.

That being said, now that more of the construction being done to Terminal 7 is complete, is going through Terminal 6 still the path for clearing Customs for LHR-LAX flights? Or can you now come back up through Terminal 7 security?

Thanks in advance!

David
There is only one exit from the T6/7 customs hall (it is actually located between the two terminals), and that is on the eastern end of Terminal 6. You still just go up to departures and through the now centralized Terminal 7 security area.

Originally Posted by CalRef
I am flying on a Sunday next month on a UA ticket from Palm Springs to Toronto with a connection at LAX. My connection time is 57 minutes, which UA says is legal; however, AC says I need 90 minutes. My question: is it still possible to walk from terminals 7/8 to 6 without going outside the building and going back through security? No one at UA or AC can answer the question. Thanks!
MCT is determined by the ticketing carrier. If they sell you a ticket with that connection, they have to protect you on it.

That 90 minute time that AC is quoting definitely dates back to the T2 timings.

More than enough. The walk isn't close to 40 minutes, especially now that you don't have to snake around from the T7/8 connection to the T6/7 connection. 20 minutes max.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UX flights can arrive at either T7/T8 but most UX arrive at T8. Just depends on what gates are available.
The vast majority of the UAX flights arrive at T8, but some E175s do end up at some of the forward narrowbody gates in T7. I think mostly arrivals from SFO or other big business markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.