Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
9/11 definitely united us. and i can't help but think of the everyday aspect of flying. the people the roll through the airports. i remember reading the column below when i was in DC the following weekend after 9/11, and i thought it was the most amazing column written about that day. every year i read it. and this year, i couldn't help but notice that AA77 left out of D26 at IAD according to the column. i then realized i flew IAD-LAX last monday, out of D26. i almost froze.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...8407-2001Sep15
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by MP Premier
FAB, thanks for reminding us how so many at United were affected and lost friends and colleagues. Thank you for your dedication to flying and taking good care of us, the flying public.
You are most welcome.

FAB
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund
Flt 93

Guys,
You really made the Dahl Fund week.
Jason was a great guy not just a Captain.
We are still figuring our numbers toward fundraising for
this year. I will get Capt. Denny to get it out to you.
The T6...although already won is still generating a stir.
I remember when Jason's wife Sandy was baking cup cake to
fundraise...wow you folks are great!!!

David Dosch
President Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

Yes I allow channel 9 so far
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Hard to believe its ths time of year again. Still remember like it was yesterday. How the world has changed, how we have all changed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
What a moving story by OP. Worth reading to commemorate this day.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
I read this post every year, and every year I have the same flood of emotions coming back. While I was not in the air on this day, I will certainly never forget exactly where I was and what I was doing, as it is permanently etched into my mind and heart.

Many thoughts and prayers to those who lost a friend, a family member, a colleague, or anyone else.

Never forget.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I knew there would be good reading on here today. I wasn't disappointed. I just spent my entire lunch time reading through this and similar posts in honor of our fallen colleagues.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I am so glad someone bumped this thread - I tried to find it in the consolidated forum first but then I saw it highlighted above in pmUA forum.

This happened before I became an avid FTer but the impact to the airspace has always fascinated me. I also feel the need to relive the moment as a way of paying tribute.

This thread takes me back... I will read this thread every year forever.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Never saw this thread before, but it brought me to tears, and I've read it again a second time now.

Sorry if it's a cliche, but life is truly too short, and this is a classic example of why I choose to follow the philosophy of NOW (No Opportunity Wasted) every singe day.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Putt4eagle
On 9/11, I was listening to Ch. 9. I was on a flight out of ORD to AZ (757) seated in 5F.

[snip]

I'll never forget where I was or that Ch. 9 was a part of it. I still have the stub from the flight. UA 1969, ORD to Phoenix, seat 5F.
Thank you for sharing your story.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm Reason: no need for full quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: UA1K
since it's been 12 years...i still get chills reading this.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by FearFree
I read this post every year, and every year I have the same flood of emotions coming back. While I was not in the air on this day, I will certainly never forget exactly where I was and what I was doing, as it is permanently etched into my mind and heart.
I discovered this thread in 2011, and have read it last year and this year as well. Today, it brought up the same emotions I felt two years ago. I was too young to remember the actual date, but I still feel sorrow for those affected, and I still feel affected by this event. It is the Pearl Harbor of this generation.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just saw this for the first time. Wow.
Thanks for the bump.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
just read this for the first time too. the smithsonian channel is playing a documentary about 9/11 and they had an interview of the head of the NTSB and he mentioned after the second tower was hit they had a nationwide immediate grounding of all flights in the air. it's really interesting to hear from someone who was a passenger as a part of that.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
First time reading this thread. Thanks for bumping it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.