Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

naive upgrade question -- Upgrade waitlisted priority after change of status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi-

I'm new to the forum. I have a very basic question that I hope someone will help me with. Currently, I am premier silver. I am flying BOS-DEN-NRT on Nov 04. The ticket purchased was a V fare, and I used miles and co-pay to request an upgrade. At the time, there were no R fares, but today I received confirmation that I was upgraded to R fare on the BOS-DEN leg. Here is my question - since purchasing the ticket and requesting the upgrade, my status will change from silver to platinum. I will have 85K PQM, and my chase mileageplus cc spending for the year will be over the $25K mark. According to the mileageplus webpage, this qualifies me for platinum status for the remainder of the year, and 2018.

Will this affect my chances for upgrade? Will it change my place in line for upgrade, or is my spot in line "frozen" at the time of request (that is, will they use my status at the time of upgrade request, or will they use my status at the time that upgrades start clearing)?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drxre
Hi-

I'm new to the forum. I have a very basic question that I hope someone will help me with. Currently, I am premier silver. I am flying BOS-DEN-NRT on Nov 04. The ticket purchased was a V fare, and I used miles and co-pay to request an upgrade. At the time, there were no R fares, but today I received confirmation that I was upgraded to R fare on the BOS-DEN leg. Here is my question - since purchasing the ticket and requesting the upgrade, my status will change from silver to platinum. I will have 85K PQM, and my chase mileageplus cc spending for the year will be over the $25K mark. According to the mileageplus webpage, this qualifies me for platinum status for the remainder of the year, and 2018.

Will this affect my chances for upgrade? Will it change my place in line for upgrade, or is my spot in line "frozen" at the time of request (that is, will they use my status at the time of upgrade request, or will they use my status at the time that upgrades start clearing)?

Thanks,
Dan
What Credit Card do you have that earns United Platinum from spend?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, your priority for the upgrade should jump up. It is probably worth calling and checking this with an agent once your status is officially bumped, as the systems can keep stale data for quite some time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
That's not what he said. He said that his cc satisfied his PQD requirement.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...today I received confirmation that I was upgraded to R fare on the BOS-DEN leg...
Welcome to FT! Congrats on upgrade. Remember, if DEN-NRT does not clear, you get your money/miles back. Hopefully UA won't have to refund...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
The one that does away with PQD as the flier clearly stated they already had 85K PQM, thus was qualified for Platinum already with the exception of PQM, which the Mileage Plus club card (Maybe explorer) provides a PQD waiver for up to platinum
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Once your account reflects your new status, I'd call in to confirm that your upgrade list position reflects your status. Then I'd call i once again after checkin to ensure you are at the correct position on the list. After checkin, you may need to ask an agent at the airport. If you notice R available, I'd call in immediately.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Once your account reflects your new status, I'd call in to confirm that your upgrade list position reflects your status. Then I'd call i once again after checkin to ensure you are at the correct position on the list. After checkin, you may need to ask an agent at the airport. ....
If the list is dynamically created, as has been speculated, then none of this is needed.

pmUA had issues with this and appeared to be a static list but after the merger, the indications have been it is dynamic (but there may be some lag - in the order of days or less). However, since the waitlist is not visible until check-in, it has been hard to validate any theories.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, its all speculation based on observation. However, the recommendation to call in is more to try and verify the status has been properly applied and reflected in his position on the list. I've read reports of people calling in prior to checkin and inquiring at the airport and being told how many people are above them on the list and their status level. If there is an issue, sometimes the remove and add the instrument again. (ofcourse I've also heard reports of agents saying they can't see anything).

Either way, it never hurts to call if only to give the OP more reassurance. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that can be done
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the very useful info! My level changed to platinum today, and I noticed that a change was made to the status of the reservation for the DEN-NRT portion of the flight. It went from "Upgrade Requested" to "R class requested" .

To answer one of the questions: if you have a Chase United MileagePlus Club card, $25K per year in purchases will waive the PQD requirement for silver/gold/platinum status.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OK, thanks for the very useful info! My level changed to platinum today, ...
Congrats!!!

.... and I noticed that a change was made to the status of the reservation for the DEN-NRT portion of the flight. It went from "Upgrade Requested" to "R class requested" .
Don't read too much into this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...requested.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2017 at 1:39 pm Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.