Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boeing, United Airlines Announce Order for 100 737 MAX 10s and 4 777 300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing, United Airlines Announce Order for 100 737 MAX 10s and 4 777 300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by 747200f
It will be a very similar design to what's used on the 777-300ER & the 787-10. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.
I understand it will be semi levered like the 777 but it will also be telescopic..that is a design not found on current boeing products...so that actuator will be pretty beefy to take full loads along with some hard deck landings.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
The first class lav is much better than those on the 737.
How is this relevant in the context of a discussion about the comfort for passengers in economy?

Complaints have been about the rear lavs. Have you even flown the plane?
And justifiably so. Those lavs are TIGHT.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The alleged improvement in comfort due to the extra inch width on A320 may be a mental thing. I have flown both 737 and A320 aircraft in economy. I won't mistake the A320 seat for first class.

For those claiming UA should have ordered A321s, do you want more unpopular slimline seats that UA uses on its A319/A320? I'll take a UA 737 over any of its A32x planes.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
The alleged improvement in comfort due to the extra inch width on A320 may be a mental thing. I have flown both 737 and A320 aircraft in economy. I won't mistake the A320 seat for first class.

Comfort and passenger perception has lots to do with how the airline configure the aircraft. UA uses slimline seats on its A319/A320 which receive mostly negative reviews. If UA orders A321s they could use those same slimline seats in that aircraft. I'll take a UA 737 over any of its A32x planes.
I generally agree with this. I find the 737 Y seats better than the A32X and on the flip side find the A32X F seats significantly better than the 737 F seats. The A32X slimline seats kill any width benefit (believe me I've flown them on RDU - SFO and we even had an empty seat in our row and it was still a rough flight).

If I'm flying F (and know ahead of time), I try and steer towards the A32X planes over the 737, if I'm flying in Y, I try to steer towards the 737 planes.

Of course if trying to upgrade at the gate, the 737 is a better option.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by blueman2
God, I hate 737's. HATE them!
+1. I fly enough UA and DL 737s in Y to say that I prefer the DL 737s – by a long shot. The seat width and pitch may be the same, but the overall feel in a DL 737 in Y to me is just much better. Even the older DL 737s seem newer, fresher and cleaner than any UA 739. However, as 737s have invaded the entire UA fleet, I find it very hard to avoid UA 737s.

And, am I the only one who really dislikes that almost purple paneling in UA 737s? That needs to go!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Duke787
I find the 737 Y seats better than the A32X and on the flip side find the A32X F seats significantly better than the 737 F seats. The A32X slimline seats kill any width benefit (believe me I've flown them on RDU - SFO and we even had an empty seat in our row and it was still a rough flight).

If I'm flying F (and know ahead of time), I try and steer towards the A32X planes over the 737, if I'm flying in Y, I try to steer towards the 737 planes.
I totally agree with this, but what you discuss is a United specific thing, it has nothing to do with the Aircraft. United put cheap and awful Recaro slim-line seats on its retrofited airbus. The seat pan is too short, the padding is awful, and the seats sit too low, it is a trefecta of awfulness Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

I think even United now realizes they made a big mistake in that seat. If you fly Delta airbuses, you will feel the comfort, and I'll let AA people respond, but I think you will hear the same thing about their A321s as well. Ask a VX or B6 flyer and they will also agree.

And the new UA F seat is far better than the old "ram-rod" F seat, which was awful unless it was reclined.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by tealeaf99
+1. I fly enough UA and DL 737s in Y to say that I prefer the DL 737s – by a long shot. The seat width and pitch may be the same, but the overall feel in a DL 737 in Y to me is just much better. Even the older DL 737s seem newer, fresher and cleaner than any UA 739. However, as 737s have invaded the entire UA fleet, I find it very hard to avoid UA 737s.

And, am I the only one who really dislikes that almost purple paneling in UA 737s? That needs to go!
DL's 739 F seats are the worst domestic F seats in the US. The bulkhead seats are an absolute joke. As for Y, I much prefer the Ua layout of a midcabin lav.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:09 am

From the NY Times...

Airbus Scoffs at Boeing Wins, Plays Down Bounce-Back Hopes
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017...bus-sales.html

"Leahy said he was not worried about an order for 100 Boeing 737 MAX 10s from United Airlines, converted from other models.

'I understand that United have an agreement that they can convert to any member of the MAX family that they want to, and can convert back if they want to, so we don't see that as a competitor to having the A321 one day be introduced to United.'"
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I think even United now realizes they made a big mistake in that seat. If you fly Delta airbuses, you will feel the comfort, and I'll let AA people respond, but I think you will hear the same thing about their A321s as well. Ask a VX or B6 flyer and they will also agree.
The scAArebuses are awful. Every AA elite I talk to avoids them like the plague. AA's 738s are much more comfortable.

It's not so much an issue of plane type as airline configuration, as I think are most comparisons between A v B planes.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lenscap
From the NY Times...

Airbus Scoffs at Boeing Wins, Plays Down Bounce-Back Hopes
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017...bus-sales.html

"Leahy said he was not worried about an order for 100 Boeing 737 MAX 10s from United Airlines, converted from other models.

'I understand that United have an agreement that they can convert to any member of the MAX family that they want to, and can convert back if they want to, so we don't see that as a competitor to having the A321 one day be introduced to United.'"
...and I scoff at Leahy with his gibberish designed to downplay the impact to his stock price and revenue. It's clear the 737MAX series will be the best selling version of the world's best selling aircraft, and if the A321 had a mission at United, they would have ordered some. With such a huge order with Boeing to fill the gap with aging 757s and 737s, along with a likely order of 797s to come later, I don't see Airbus making any inroads with United in the near or distant future.

I don't understand everyone's love for the Airbus aircraft. The Y seats are far too narrow for the available cabin width, and in both cabins, they are hard as a rock and it's like sitting on a wooden park bench for 2+ hours.

If UA considered upgraded Y seat designs for the 737, perhaps something similar to what JAL is using, it would be a very comfortable airplane.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... and if the A321 had a mission at United, they would have ordered some. With such a huge order with Boeing to fill the gap with ageing 757s and 737s, along with a likely order of 797s to come later, I don't see Airbus making any inroads with United in the near or distant future.
I agree with you about Airbus not making inroads with UA, but again, this is NOT a new order, rather a conversion of existing orders to MAX 10 @:-)

Four 777Ws IS a new order.

I think that other MAX 10 orders are new but with all the fuzzy math it's kind of hard to tell ....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

I still firmly believe UA will put in a substantial order for the 321LR. It is the perfect replacement for their current 757-200 flying.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still firmly believe UA will put in a substantial order for the 321LR. It is the perfect replacement for their current 757-200 flying.
The 797, although a longer wait, is better alternative and just as flexible as the 757, but with twin aisles and better efficiency. The dom/intl 757s can continue to fly just fine for the next few years, while the domestic-only 757s can be replaced by the 737MAX-10.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:01 pm
Suspended

I'll respectfully disagree with u on this. UA needs a replacement for 752 premium transcon, 752 Europe mostly to the British Isles, 753, and some 763 missions, and all signs seem to be pointing towards Boeing planning a "MoM/797" that is perfectly tailored to UA's needs.

Ultra long NBs have killer CASM but also gets kills on turnaround time. If Boeing can solve the inherent inefficiency of 2-3-2, they might just have a winner on their hands.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Today i was downgraded A319 SFO-YVR and even in an exit row seat it was aweful. I assume we had what people are calling slim seats. They were essentially a fiberglass shell and thin leather type covering. They did have power, which is a plus, but you were crammed in so tight i couldn't even pull out my laptop without encroaching on the person next to me's tray.

To go along with that, the seats in UA 737 FC are horribly uncomfortable. I prefer the seats in a E175 to them even. The Airbus FC seats are good, better than 737, but still not as nice as E175 imo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.