Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tried 6 J Class Seats And United BF Seat Beats Them All

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried 6 J Class Seats And United BF Seat Beats Them All

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The sUA IPTE J seat is the most comfortable I've flown for both sleeping and, especially, lounging partially reclined. B/E seat is also very good for lounging but a bit harder for sleep. No one does the partially reclined position as well as UA.

Just got off UA2 and other parts of the product were not so great. Food was terrible and FAs disappeared for 10 hours.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
However, with the 2-2-2 config on the 767s or 2-4-2 monstrosity on some 777s, that quality of sleep is cut short by having to either climb over seatmates or having people climb over me and often kick me while sleeping
I'm confused as to how, if you're on a window seat, having to climb over someone to reach the aisle affects your sleep. I agree that it is terrible for other reasons, but unless you're doing some pretty serious sleepwalking, I can't imagine being blocked in affects the quality of sleep much.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by 1P
I find UA's BF seat far too narrow, amd I fear that the new Polaris J, when we get to try it, will be just as bad. And I agree that LH J seat is not very comfortable.

For me, NZ has got it right, as long as you put the tray table away while you sleep (it's too low): wider and more comfortable than UA by a long way.
As much as I dislike UA, I have to give them credit on this... the new Polaris seats on 77W aircraft are far better than any NZ BusinesPremier seat.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Sykes
I'm confused as to how, if you're on a window seat, having to climb over someone to reach the aisle affects your sleep. I agree that it is terrible for other reasons, but unless you're doing some pretty serious sleepwalking, I can't imagine being blocked in affects the quality of sleep much.
As a window person, that was my thought too
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As far as biz goes, I agree and find the UA seats some of the most comfortable out there. However, with the 2-2-2 config on the 767s or 2-4-2 monstrosity on some 777s, that quality of sleep is cut short by having to either climb over seatmates or having people climb over me and often kick me while sleeping

...unless I get one of the middle 2. The only time I've gotten 8+ uninterrupted hours on a plane was on a United 787.
which is also a climb out just like the 767.

The sUA IPTE seat padding and ergonomics are still top shelf 10 years in. Overall personal space and ingress egress has fallen back v current gen offerings (though F suites still trump top tier seats on many others)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by pandablood
I am stunned to read your words on the TK 777. The mattress they put out is lush and thick. I slept like a baby last night and apparently so did the two snoring gentlemen a row behind me. How UA 767 is any better (have flown) is beyond me but I wouldn’t already do that again because of the crappy attitude of the cabin crew. I do agree however on the Asiana 777 (747 is bad, too). Thought their A380 was ok.
They put on a think blanket like material on the seat. No padding when I flew.
Picture below.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Slightly OT, but how do the AC 787 business class seats stack-up to the other seats being discussed in this thread? Supposed to fly them for the first time later this year.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx for all the valuable information, incl Duke787 for all the AA and DL details. I will have to save some of this thread for future reference.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I can only comment on AA's 788 (Zodiac Concept D), 789 (B/E Super Diamond), and 772 (subfleets of Concept D and B/E Super Diamond). Quality issues aside, I like the Concept D seats the best. I find it more comfortable than UA's current J, but probably not as good as Polaris.
+ for Polaris. On my last TATL for the first time I tried the mattress pad and it made for extra sleeping comfort. ^
Re quiet sleep: the new masks are good^, my biggest issue is still the louse/unusable ear plugs!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
row 1, row 10, row 81 and row 84. look like that:
I actually kept my bulkhead LH BOS-MUC flight on A359, because of the following post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27868738-post10.html

Otherwise, the advantage seems to be only at the window pairs.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
As for generally waking hours, the seat is fine. The only issue is the lack of storage space (with the exception of the UD 747). I'm a window person as it gives me the feeling of more privacy. Climbing over my neighbor is annoying but I've gotten pretty good at it.

There is also general jet lag. I try to adjust to my destination timezone as soon as possible. Most people sleep after the meal and wake up some time before breakfast. Sometimes if you're arriving early morning, it makes sense to delay sleep, if you're arriving late evening, it makes sense wake up early. I can move my meal time, but I can't sleep with the constant noises of everyone around you eating. Having light during "waking hours makes a big difference. With the window shade down policy and not wanting to be the lone guy in the cabin with the shade up, it makes it difficult to be awake when I want to be awake and sleep when I want to sleep.

In terms of sleep, I've had several issues in all types of lay flat seats.

Mostly the issue is width. I typically sleep on my side or stomach. Sleeping on my stomach doesn't work because there's no where to put your arms since it curves in. I also don't typically sleep with my legs perfectly straight, so my knee or foot will hit the wall. Always choosing the bulkhead seat helps with this. Constantly hitting your arm, knee, etc on something make it feel like you're sleeping in a coffin.

The other issue I have is temperature. Maybe its my crazy body but when I first goto sleep, I always feel warm. Some of the planes don't even have an air vent so its torture and I'll start sweating (which sucks when you want to sleep). Then later in the flight I'll be freezing (but a blanket can easily solve that issue). Maybe my body is digesting the giant meal I just ate creating heat and once I fall asleep everything cools down, I dont know. Basically, having air vents is essential.

Finally, there's the galley light and noise. An eye mask isnt the most comfortable thing to wear but it works somewhat. There's always some light leak. As for noise this can vary from no noise to constant chatter and laughter. I'm usually always awaken by breakfast prep noises.

I have yet to try the 77W but am looking forward to it.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:52 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zrs70
I agree for the most part. JetBlue's Mint product is new and shiny. But the seats are pretty lousy. There is no good recline mode. Same with Singapore Air.
I flew Singapore A380 Suites Class AKL-SIN last December and I couldn't wait to get off the plane. The seat, in upright, recline and full lie flat modes, was terrible uncomfortable.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
Turkish 777: Unable to sleep. Lumps and bumps make it hard to sleep on side or back.
I've flown this maybe a dozen times in the past year (including 3 in the past month), and I've always found it very comfortable. My biggest annoyance, as has been mentioned a few posts back, is the lack of an air vent - and the fact they frequently have the cabin far colder than I would prefer...

That said, I do agree that UA's is one of the most comfortable. No trouble at all getting a few hours sleep on todays MUC-SFO!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Slightly OT, but how do the AC 787 business class seats stack-up to the other seats being discussed in this thread? Supposed to fly them for the first time later this year.
Personally, I like the AC J seats a lot (B/E Aerospace Super Diamond?). The 787s have a bit less storage space than their 777s, but otherwise, there isn't much difference. Lots of personal space, storage, and privacy. I'd be surprised if anyone preferred the pmUA seats over them, but I could see how some might enjoy the pmCO seats, especially when travelling with someone else.

One thing I dislike about the AC seats is the position of the tray table when retracted. Since it comes out from under the TV, it forms a sort of ledge when it's stowed. I kept bumping my knees/legs into it while in bed mode.

I can't recall much about their bedding, but I believe they have a single duvet only and no mattress pad. Based on what I've heard about Polaris bedding, I don't think many airlines match what UA provides.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
They put on a think blanket like material on the seat. No padding when I flew.
Picture below.
[/url]

Yeah, I had something grey. Was nice for me.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
worst Air Canada

the worst business class seat is Air Canada, the seat is hard does not really lie flat to the floor, and the tray table is so low you cant roll over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.