Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tried 6 J Class Seats And United BF Seat Beats Them All

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Asiana A380: Unable to sleep. Causes back pain.

Asiana 777: Angle flat.

Asiana A330: Acceptable for 6 hours to SIN-ICN.

Turkish 777: Unable to sleep. Lumps and bumps make it hard to sleep on side or back.

Swiss 777 (Just last week): VERY uncomfortable in bed mode. Not the best in upright seat mode either.

United 767 business first: Best sleep I ever had on an airplane.

Well after flying on Swiss last two weeks, United is still solid number 1 in terms of seat comfort for sleeping in my opinion. Any other airlines out there currently using the BF style seats? How are the BF seats that face backwards in terms of comfort?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I agree for the most part. JetBlue's Mint product is new and shiny. But the seats are pretty lousy. There is no good recline mode. Same with Singapore Air.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by seat38a

Turkish 777: Unable to sleep. Lumps and bumps make it hard to sleep on side or back.

Swiss 777 (Just last week): VERY uncomfortable in bed mode. Not the best in upright seat mode either.

Well after flying on Swiss last two weeks, United is still solid number 1 in terms of seat comfort for sleeping in my opinion. Any other airlines out there currently using the BF style seats? How are the BF seats that face backwards in terms of comfort?
You might as well make the soft comparisons while your at it....
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any other airlines out there currently using the BF style seats?
Several. KLM definitely does.

How are the BF seats that face backwards in terms of comfort?
Different than the ones you were on. Longer & narrower. Less privacy and less storage space in the seat.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Or not. If 90% of the value is "Can I sleep?" then the other bits are fine when they happen, but they don't drive a flight choice.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Service and food are really becoming less important for me. There was a time, when I was awwwed by it but now I only stay up for it to take photo's for my trip reports.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:51 am

I slept all right on Swiss 777 J seat with aisle access. However, I admit that if you are looking to sleep better, UA provides much more cushion and especially mattress pad, so it's definitely going to make sleeping experience better.

I tried the other way, OZ ICN-SIN. Acceptable. Haven't tried other Asiana widebodies before.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jun 6, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I think that, for sleeping, the OP with the listed examples is pretty much on the mark. It shocks me to say that, but I agree that for sleep comfort (perhaps excluding those who really value personal space), UA wins.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

One other thing that I noticed is that United provides a full size pillow vs the pathetic flat things provided by the other airlines that I listed. I think the bigger plusher pillow also adds about 20% to the comfort of the sleep.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
One other thing that I noticed is that United provides a full size pillow vs the pathetic flat things provided by the other airlines that I listed. I think the bigger plusher pillow also adds about 20% to the comfort of the sleep.
This is a great point. I flew OZ F for the first time last week and the tiny pillow provided is almost comical when placed in the massive seat/suite. The slightly larger pillow in the bedding kit isn't much better and so I was happy to poach a few from empty seats when I made my bed. UA does a pretty good job here, even though the 2nd smaller pillow has been cut from the J service.

At the end of the day --no pun intended-- I need to sleep well when traveling on business, in business. The 'frills' (better booze/wine, nicer food, more expansive entertainment system, onboard amenities, super-attentive crews, etc.) are more appreciated, IMO, for leisure travel.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I'm consistently amazed at how comfortable the padding is on especially the pmUA business class seat. I sometimes forget about it after flying Cathay of ANA for a while, but as soon as I get in the pmUA business class seat I sleep like a rock.

The personal space and service leaves much to be desired, but these days that's far less important to me than it used to be. Most of the time I really just want to sleep.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Service and food are really becoming less important for me. There was a time, when I was awwwed by it but now I only stay up for it to take photo's for my trip reports.
Fair enough.

To add a data point to yours I flew QR lax-doh on their 772 ER. They were angled lie flats like you said OZ was. They were indeed long enough but still an angled lie flat.

Then flew QR doh-sin on a A350. Fully lie flat seat--nice. Of course I thrown enough back i could sleep on the side of the 10 freeway I suppose.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA has a pretty decent comfort factor on their seats, which should continue on the new Polaris seats as well - slept like a rock on SFO-EWR on Sunday. Being severely jetlagged helped too
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

I am taking from your post that you were on the 767 that does not have First Class (all seats face forward). That seat is very, very short. Counting the restricted footwell (not so much an issue in the first row) it is listed by UA as being 6'4", no way it is that long. I am 6'2" and I can't sleep flat on it. Agree the padding is fine, and I find the sCO 772 BF seat to be comfortable for sleeping, but the versions on the 787 and 763 are too short.

I also don't like having to climb over someone, or have them climb over me.

IMHE both the DL seats (all of them, except the 763 version of the Vantage which is narrow for sleeping) and the new AA seats (the B/E Super Diamond) are as good if not better for sleeping AND are direct Aisle access, and have better storage and work spaces. Both of UA's direct competitors have better seats.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Agreed and I would add LH to the list of J seats I didn't like. I flew LH 748 FRA-EWR and the J seat was not comfortable compared the UA 772 I flew ORD-MUC. The weird spring loaded tray table was awkward, I felt like I spent more time managing cables to the AV controls and the blanket was too light. I am happy I was able to use a GPU and it certainly was better than Y, but nothing compared to Polaris, including the service. Was not impressed in the least.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RockinRon
Agreed and I would add LH to the list of J seats I didn't like. I flew LH 748 FRA-EWR and the J seat was not comfortable compared the UA 772 I flew ORD-MUC. The weird spring loaded tray table was awkward, I felt like I spent more time managing cables to the AV controls and the blanket was too light. I am happy I was able to use a GPU and it certainly was better than Y, but nothing compared to Polaris, including the service. Was not impressed in the least.
So it seems like maybe the whole of Lufthansa Group has terrible J seats. On Brussels and Austrian, the seats are the same as the one on Swiss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.