Wiki Posts
Search

Using AC MLL in the US?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Using AC MLL in the US?

Now that AC has moved to T6 at LAX, I wonder if UA Gold and above travelling on a domestic itinerary can use the Maple Leaf Lounge?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Now that AC has moved to T6 at LAX, I wonder if UA Gold and above travelling on a domestic itinerary can use the Maple Leaf Lounge?

Thanks.
It appears UA *G can use the lounge on any itinerary.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-lax-changes/

Wish I'd known this the last time I had a bad time at LAX (April).
Old May 28, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Should be no different than using LH Lounge in IAD/DTW , TK lounge at IAD, ....

But SQ and BR did limit access at SFO.

So time will tell.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone volunteering to try at LAX? Of course, the UC is pretty good now (and MLL has been going downhill) so it is really for those of us who don't have access to UC.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone volunteering to try at LAX? Of course, the UC is pretty good now (and MLL has been going downhill) so it is really for those of us who don't have access to UC.
I'll give it a go in a couple of weeks. It'll be part of an international itinerary, so not conclusive, but maybe enough of a canary. (I'm sure someone enterprising will try sooner, though )
Old May 28, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Most AC MLLs are better then domestic UCs. You could argue the newer UCs look as nice/a little nicer than the MLLs I've been to in Canada (YYZ, YVR transborder, etc.), but AC almost always has better food, all booze is free, etc. I really dislike that they seem to have gotten rid of Frutopia, but even off-peak hours they usually have a decent selection - soup, salad bar, chips/salsa/pita chips/humus, etc. I also like their cookies better.

Just one opinion...I haven't been to the old (or new) MLL in LAX, though. As a *G lounge, it should be open to any UA gold/plat/1K on any itinerary.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:08 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Always use the MLL at YVR, lounge is nice, decent snacks, soup etc. Much more nourishing than the UA offerings, but they have cut back somewhat on their offerings from a year ago.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
security could be a challenge

I recall from my last cnx. @ LAX that going airside through at the terminal other than the one where I was departing was subject to the discretion of security i.e. some allowed it, others not.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
With the new construction at LAX is the airside walkway from T7 to T6 still open. I thought it was closed off last time I was there (few weeks ago)..
Old May 28, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I recall from my last cnx. @ LAX that going airside through at the terminal other than the one where I was departing was subject to the discretion of security i.e. some allowed it, others not.
1) AC just moved from T2 to T6 which is connected airside so security is no longer an issue.

2) Even before, as long as you have a same day boarding pass for any terminal at LAX you can enter any other terminal.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Check the AC thread for more details on this - the short answer is "it depends", for two reasons:

1. AC can, and will, limit access during peak times to their own customers and stop *G from entering the lounge.

2. There is one report of an escalation over this that resulted in a UA "manager" telling the AC staff to stop admitting UA customers who were getting lounge access without paying for a UC membership. I question what right a UA manager has to do this (essentially none), but apparently the mousy AC agent took the instruction to heart and stopped admitting UA customers. You can make a fuss if you are *G and insist on being admitted if there is no capacity issue, but that takes us to:

3. There is no reason to go to this lounge - almost non-existent food, cramped space, no power plugs, a slow elevator that can add 10 minutes to your visit, and the classic Canadian MLL behavior of fondling the food with dirty hands instead of using utensils (there is a whole thread on disgusting MLL customer behavior including such gems as sampling a food item by licking the serving utensil).

I was there last week and breakfast consisted of two trays of stale, hard muffins, a vat of congealed oatmeal, some uncut (i.e., wash it yourself) fruit, and assorted beverages. No thanks.

If you want an alternative lounge, skip the MLL and keep walking to the TBIT *G lounge - it's likely that by the time the AC MLL elevator shows up after you press the button, you could already be sitting in the TBIT.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The MLL at LGA has always been accommodating in the past to UA *G travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.