Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of outlets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I know my laptop doesn't perform highly, but that' a different problem! I will check on the power draw.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jcresq
I know my laptop doesn't perform highly, but that' a different problem! I will check on the power draw.
One of my older 15" Macbook Pros stubbornly refused to charge from a power inverter I've always kept in my truck, but a standard phone or smaller laptop works fine. Some of those older models are real power beasts (and likely some of the gaming type of systems still are today).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
One of my older 15" Macbook Pros stubbornly refused to charge from a power inverter I've always kept in my truck, but a standard phone or smaller laptop works fine. Some of those older models are real power beasts (and likely some of the gaming type of systems still are today).
I think MacBook Pro would qualify as a high performance laptop.

The other possible explanation here is that UA's onboard power is fickle and unreliable.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The other possible explanation here is that UA's onboard power is fickle and unreliable.
I would add another possible explanation: The plug for that seat's onboard power is potentially worn or deformed and not successfully closing the current loop.

Whether on purpose or not, I've found many plugs to be non-op because of what previous users have tried to or have plugged in, only to make the socket not even work with small AC-to-USB plug-ins.

Adding to that, others have brutalized some of the newer AC+USB plugs so that the USB sockets aren't working.

David
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Here's my checklist:

Is the green light on? If not, check with the FA to see whether the outlet is working

Does the green light turn yellow when you plug in the device? if yes, then it's drawing more power than the outlet provides, so the safety kicks in. As a work-around:
a) If possible, remove the battery from the laptop. This will ensure your laptop is powered. Save often, as an accidental kick to the cord will shut down the laptop.
b) Plug in the laptop in sleep mode until the battery is fully charged, then turn on the laptop and it'll remain charged.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I didn't need to use the outlet.
So what's the problem?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
LOL - yes my husband and I take turns daily on who's phones get to be charged!!!!!

amazing

Originally Posted by og
What a silly comment.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
My plug wasn't working with a 2 prong on yesterday's flight aboard a E175 in F. my 3 prong worked no problem. The 2 prong wouldn't go all the way in the hole. Literally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.