Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 7, 2017)

Old Jul 6, 17, 1:01 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
    ​​​​​​​​
Rebook by July 9, 2017.

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

David
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:32 am
Original Poster

So if this severe weather holds, let's see if I get home on Friday* based on my experiences today (07/05/17):
  • LAX-SFO: ATC ground hold - late into SFO by 1 hour after being held at LAX 1.5 hours (talk about padding your schedule)
  • SFO-EWR: ATC ground hold - late out of SFO by 1.5 hours and late into EWR by 1.25 hours - and then EWR ground ops was nowhere to be found at gate 110 before they pushed the 773 plane back out way past the ramp entry area and then back into the gate
  • EWR-BWI: late plane - late out of EWR by 25 mins but again the padding saved UACO so they only show a 3 minute late
*: Friday (07/07/17) is the reverse set of segments and my flight into EWR doesn't leave BWI until 12:15 PM...could make for a very long day.

David
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
*: Friday (07/07/17) is the reverse set of segments and my flight into EWR doesn't leave BWI until 12:15 PM...could make for a very long day.
Call now and switch to the 14:04 to ORD? That'd get you back to LAX about the same time.

Edit: Admittedly without being on PS, so if you're in first and the seat's more important then that's not a great choice
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:45 am

Programs: UA:PLT; SPG: Gold; MR: Gold; Hilton: Gold
Any chance this spills over into the 8th? I've got an itinerary I wouldn't mind a free change on...
Old Jul 6, 17, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjg59 View Post
Call now and switch to the 14:04 to ORD? That'd get you back to LAX about the same time.

Edit: Admittedly without being on PS, so if you're in first and the seat's more important then that's not a great choice
Yah - I booked on p.s. for EWR-SFO so I'd be on a bigger plane. And, to just annoy nomad420, I called 1K before my flights yesterday (07/05/17) and asked to apply a RPU to the EWR-SFO segment only - and was immediately upgraded to J. At that point, the agent on the phone suggested I go buy a lottery ticket.

So, no, unless things go completely pear shaped, I'm going to try to keep my upgrade.

David
Old Jul 6, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1k, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
What severe weather?

I'm flying back from LGA to SNA tomorrow and I got the offer to change from UA but I can't find any severe weather in any of the forecasts I've looked at, just some showers. Anybody know when it's supposed to happen?
Old Jul 6, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Local NYC forecast calls for showers/thunderstorms late tonight into early tomorrow morning then clearing up late morning with clouds/sun for the rest of the day. Sounds like typical July weather to me so the travel waiver being issued seems a bit odd.
Old Jul 6, 17, 10:20 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold Plus
I think with Independence Day being on a Tuesday this year, there are a lot of people heading home from vacation this weekend. More so than on a usual summer weekend and it seems to me they are trying to be proactive.
Old Jul 6, 17, 11:18 am

I have a RT flight departing EWR in the morning and returning in the evening I wasn't planning on taking due to something coming up.

However, I could make use of the trip if I were able to depart on the evening of the 9th (inside the rebook window) and return the evening of the 10th (outside the rebook window). Is this worth trying?
Old Jul 6, 17, 11:26 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC View Post
Local NYC forecast calls for showers/thunderstorms late tonight into early tomorrow morning then clearing up late morning with clouds/sun for the rest of the day. Sounds like typical July weather to me so the travel waiver being issued seems a bit odd.
Delta issued one yesterday. This may just be UA taking DL's lead. DL has been extremely cautious in regards to issuing advisories after they failed to do so for the Atlanta storms back in April that led to a systemwide meltdown that took days to recover.
Old Jul 6, 17, 12:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by rmannion View Post
I have a RT flight departing EWR in the morning and returning in the evening I wasn't planning on taking due to something coming up.

However, I could make use of the trip if I were able to depart on the evening of the 9th (inside the rebook window) and return the evening of the 10th (outside the rebook window). Is this worth trying?
It is always worth a try. If they say no, then ask for a refund if your flight is canceled.
Old Jul 7, 17, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Called 1K to try to switch to an earlier flight out of DCA (or even IAD) into EWR but, since no delays/issues so far out of BWI, she wanted to refare. Was willing to reroute me through another hub given the waiver in place for EWR.

Anyway, here's what weather.com's future map already looks like for the northeast at 11:45 AM today:

David
Attached Images  
Old Jul 7, 17, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Called 1K to try to switch to an earlier flight out of DCA (or even IAD) into EWR but, since no delays/issues so far out of BWI, she wanted to refare. Was willing to reroute me through another hub given the waiver in place for EWR.

Anyway, here's what weather.com's future map already looks like for the northeast at 11:45 AM today:

David
The waiver is still posted. It does not matter if the weather is "fine" right now. HUCA and try again.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Did HUACA, did have to wait through about 20 mins of Rhapsody in Blue as I waited on hold - ended up being a $50+ refare.

That being said, made it to DCA, got onto UA4382, pushed back but now sitting in the penalty box since EWR is under a ground stop due to the WX/thunderstorms rolling through.

David
Old Jul 7, 17, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr View Post
The waiver is still posted. It does not matter if the weather is "fine" right now. HUCA and try again.
Originally Posted by UA Waiver Policy
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before July 9, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​
I think the issue is the change in airports, not the weather. The OP's request to switch from a BWI departure to IAD or DCA is stretching the published guidelines. In the end the change-fee waiver but refare seems a fair compromise, though probably not strictly required based on the published policy.

Search this Thread