Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Collierkr
I do the same with the small pillow. and i use the duvet to cover my seat, head to toe, because we all know they don't clean those seats. I rarely use the blanket.
I just get the matress pad to cover the seat. I guess I don't mind when I'm just sitting in it.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I paid extra to get Polaris for my EWR-ATH trip in September. Already, I'm not getting use of the Lounge, the pjs or the seats. I hope to see a stack of bedding with as many blankets & pillows as I need. I use a pillow for my lower back, so having one for my head will be nice. Polaris has been marketed and in my face now since last fall. I got to use the blanket & pillow on my SFO-ORD flight in December. But I paid for Polaris not knowing that I wouldn't get the club experience, pjs, or seats, so there had better be everything else they've advertised. Sadly, I don't drink so wine & champagne mean nothing to me. But an extra pillow will make a difference. (The bear would be nice, too.)
Old May 12, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I paid extra to get Polaris for my EWR-ATH trip in September. Already, I'm not getting use of the Lounge, the pjs or the seats. I hope to see a stack of bedding with as many blankets & pillows as I need. I use a pillow for my lower back, so having one for my head will be nice. Polaris has been marketed and in my face now since last fall. I got to use the blanket & pillow on my SFO-ORD flight in December. But I paid for Polaris not knowing that I wouldn't get the club experience, pjs, or seats, so there had better be everything else they've advertised. Sadly, I don't drink so wine & champagne mean nothing to me. But an extra pillow will make a difference. (The bear would be nice, too.)
Sorry you didn't know what you were buying. Not sure what the "extra" you paid for Polaris is but you bought a business class seat and now you are getting upgraded soft product as part of the Polaris offering. Its was covered that the bears were for the initial launch only which has been long gone. And if you have done enough reading to find out about the bears then you must have known about the phased roll-out of Polaris, soft product then hard product.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reason: removed overly personal comments
Old May 12, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eadward
Its was covered that the bears were for the initial launch only which has been long gone.
The bears came back in March for about a week. And many FTers got really happy to see them back so it's not unreasonable for someone to hope to get one....or three like I did in my ORD-MUC flight (courtesy of my two neighbors who did not want theirs).

So, I do hope that ThaliaJen gets lucky and United wanting to celebrate the introduction of a new plane or new route puts bears in Polaris on the September flights .
Old May 12, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agree with the poster who mentioned the blankets. I've taken 5 Polaris flights now, and I've seen the regular blanket rarely used, usually by people who used the duvet as a mattress pad. Otherwise I see them still in their bags at the end of the flight, mine included. To be fair, although I'm the poor man's Mr Pillows, I saw most people ignoring the second pillow as well.

Personally - two big pillows, the gel pillow, mattress pad, and duvet makes for one of the best beds in the sky.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
At least get the title right. It's not one less pillow. It's one fewer pillows.
Nope. Less is just fine according to grammarians. Of which I am not one. Everyone knew what OP was talking about in this instance. No reason to eyeroll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_vs._less
Old May 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
No small pillow, and Business amenities kit provisioned for F cabin, SFO-ICN.

Miss the small pillow, would have been nice if they made available on request.
I got the business amenity kit in GF ORD-HKG on 10 May. Was told it was a miscater but that seems odd out of ORD. Like how hard could it be to get some? Now I wonder if something bigger is afoot.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by st530
I got the business amenity kit in GF ORD-HKG on 10 May. Was told it was a miscater but that seems odd out of ORD. Like how hard could it be to get some? Now I wonder if something bigger is afoot.
UA869 ORD-HKG in F last week NO amenity kits were loaded; we got a proactive "appreciation" of 10K miles or $200ETC. Then yesterday NRT-SFO, J kits given out in F.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by st530
UA is ready to can F this year.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Really missed the small pillow today on PEK-ORD.

I made a random observation of row 6 and 7 of the 772, and probably only saw 6 out of the 16 passengers used the soft blanket.

My row of 4 and the two across of the aisle from me did not open the soft blanket plastic bags.

I actually prefer the small soft pillow over the gel pillow. I agree making the small pillows available up on request.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
UA is ready to can F this year.
If they've actually gotten rid of the United "Polaris Global First" gold amenities kit (that's what they were labeled as), then that is cutback. We shall see...
Old May 14, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by tuolumne
If they've actually gotten rid of the United "Polaris Global First" gold amenities kit (that's what they were labeled as), then that is cutback. We shall see...
They announced as part of Polaris that Global First is being phased out. So how is implementing an announced phase out a "cutback"???
Old May 14, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Eadward
They announced as part of Polaris that Global First is being phased out. So how is implementing an announced phase out a "cutback"???
The Polaris F amenities kit was gold and larger. White blankets remain. Soup remains.

Are you positing that if those two were removed that it wouldn't constitute a cutback?

Until the company begins selling 3-class intl. as a 2-class, this is very valid.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
SIN to HKG in F

I was really surprised on a recent SIN to HKG in F flight that passengers received an economy pillow and the thin see through economy blanket. I know this flight is not Polaris, but in International First I did expect one big pillow and the Polaris blanket. The flight attendant seemed embarrassed by the pillow and blanket when he saw my face as I opened the bag containing the blanket.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Last week's IAD-PEK and NRT-IAD had both the large and small pillows on the seats, waiting for me to build a cozy nest. Those plus a gel pillow means I can have the fluff I want with the firmness I want by my head, and one of the pillows goes in between my knees (started out with small but then switched to large).

Ah. Maybe that's why I slept through breakfast service on both flights.

Or perhaps, it was the Buffalo Trace, wine, and ambien.
^

No pillow cutbacks on my 6 polaris transpacs this year. Each time got the gel pillows and pajamas I requested, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.