Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am totally fine with them getting rid of mattress pads and the extra pillow. As others have noted, there is way too much stuff given the amount of space you have. It's especially ridiculous with the IPTE seats.

I fail to see why this is bad, given that they specifically note that a) customers complain about having too much stuff (which is very valid, IMO), and b) mattress pad usage is low (I highly doubt it would go up, even if you told people about it. Most people would want to go to sleep right away).

Frankly, I would also have no issue with TATL redeye meal service getting cut back as well. I am flying EWR-LHR next week and am semi-dreading the first half of the flight basically being dedicated to meal service...not really sure how I am going to sleep, even if I decide not to eat at all, given all the noise on the plane.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I support this move and I'm glad they're listening. The first thing I noticed was that there were too many things that I didn't need in the seat. I don't use the pillow/blanket until I decide to sleep (maybe 30-45 minutes after the meal service), and that extra sheet seemed a little unnecessary. I haven't yet been on one of the Polaris seats, but at least on the 787 and 747 I felt like there was barely any room.

The big pillow and blanket + the amenity kit are more than enough for me.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:23 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by deskover54
NO!!!! I love the pillows. I use all 3. The big, little & blue. I couldn't read the article quoted, but are they just taking away the little pillow or taking away more? Why not stock a few of them so folks who like lots of pillows can ask for them. One flight, I even used 2 gel pillows, the big & small. I like to put a pillow between my legs when I sleep on my side.
I agree with you on this. I like the three pillows and use the small one the same way.

I've tried the mattress pad and have found that I like using the big blanket as one instead. The mattress pad shifts around too much for me, or maybe it's that I'm too restless for the mattress pad.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am a big fan of having the standard 2-pillow set and gel pillow when available but not must have. Matress padding can go, but please keep the two-pillow set!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:07 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm a bit surprised they made this change before more aircraft are updated to the Polaris seating. It seems there is a bit more storage in the new seats (I haven't flown in them yet but did sit in one at the DEN Polaris event). I agree there's a lot in the seat when you board and its a challenge to fit it all away. I don't need a blanket or two pillows for the first few hours but it is nice when I'm trying to sleep.

DEN
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I get the concerns about not having a place to put stuff but this is disappointing to me as all the new bedding definitely makes it easier for me to be comfortable and to fall asleep right away. I think most people are unaware that they could ask for the mattress pad and gel pillow and that's why usage is so low.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:32 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my Polaris C flight yesterday from KIX-SFO, the sundae was eliminated. Instead they handed out little cups of vanilla ice cream, like the ones that sell for Y130 in Japanese convenience stores.

When asked why the cutback, one flight attendant said that it had something to do with the 'guy who was dragged off the plane.' Folks, I really, honestly, cannot make stuff like this up.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On my Polaris C flight yesterday from KIX-SFO, the sundae was eliminated. Instead they handed out little cups of vanilla ice cream, like the ones that sell for Y130 in Japanese convenience stores.

When asked why the cutback, one flight attendant said that it had something to do with the 'guy who was dragged off the plane.' Folks, I really, honestly, cannot make stuff like this up.
Try this instead http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...il-we-fix.html
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ahh ok, thanks. Given that the ice cream they served was one of the cheap brands, it definitely was cheaper than the sundae service. Maybe it was United who put the glass into the ice cream in order to 'discover' it later. LOL
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:28 am

Now that I read the press release, I don't understand why they don't just stock a few small pillows available upon request. Seems to be the best of both worlds...unless this really is about cost cuts.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
OK with me. Next cut: the drink-on-peg trays...Please!
AGREE.

The glass with the peg thing is just plain trouble. Most folks don't realize that the glass fits into the peg. Lots of spilling...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
Ah, a strike to the Polaris Pillow Fort.

The mattress pads don't see a lot of use, in my experience. I agree that publicizing their availability would change this a bit, but as long as enough remain to satisfy those who request them, I'm OK with this.

The decadence of having two pillows was fun, but in reality, one is probably sufficient. This is especially true if you request the gel pillow. Currently, you end up with three pillows, and it is a bit of an exercise to find a place for all of them.

Hopefully, this isn't a sign of additional cutbacks to come.
The same as smaller pillow. I am actually a big fan of the smaller pillow, but I don't see a lot of people with pajamas, pillow, and the mattress pad. It may have been better to just stock 75% of these items. Small pillows help me get cushion away from the armrest or lumber support.

Not a good idea.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
The same as smaller pillow. I am actually a big fan of the smaller pillow, but I don't see a lot of people with pajamas, pillow, and the mattress pad. It may have been better to just stock 75% of these items. Small pillows help me get cushion away from the armrest or lumber support.

Not a good idea.
It would actually be fine if it's easier from a supply perspective to just store an extra 10 big pillows on the plane and have them by request. Or allow us to request 2 gel pillows.

At least on the UD window, there's plenty of space for all the stuff
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:59 pm

Well, this clearly isn't a problem in the much larger United Polaris Global First Suites (that's a mouthful), with their large stowage bins.

In IPTE C, I did see many people simply putting the stuff behind their seat. In fact, my IPTE C seat has had a packacked sax duvet behind it when I boarded. Good thing I looked before retracting the seat. Getting rid of the second smaller pillow is smart, since it seems like more than half of the cabin either stows it above, or puts it below their footrest.

As far as the mattress pads and gel pillows, I was the only one out of 12 pax in F today who asked for either. My other Polaris flights (4 in C, 3 other in F), display similar low numbers of takers, likely because people simply aren't aware of the amenities, and I've never once had the crew announce availability.

And oh yes, the ice cream is the same from E due to the aforementioned glassware issue...but I found it rather good (vanilla-ginger something).

Last edited by tuolumne; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by prometa
Seems it would be easy to let customers know what extra amenities are available using part of the space on the food menu.
It *is* part of the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.